Author Topic: Custom House Burning - Part 2 (John Wilson)  (Read 7004 times)

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Custom House Burning - Part 2 (John Wilson)
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Margnip, my grandfather, Michael Duffy was a member of "E" Co.2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade, I have posted a thread looking for members of "E" Co. 2nd Battalion
I will be posting some information on there regarding the attack on the LONDON and NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY HOTEL
C.S.M..

Moderator Note : Topic split due to size - see part 1 here

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Custom House Burning / John Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello C.S.M, that would be great.  Don't know much about that attack so any information is appreciated.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Custom House Burning / John Wilson
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Margnip2, I have posted a report on the attack on the ( looking for members of "E" Co. 2nd Battalion thread )
CSM

Offline gkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Custom House Burning - Part 2 (John Wilson)
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
This might be interesting to some, it is a postcard from the private collection of Vincent Byrne, E company 2nd Battalion Old IRA. Postcard of a drawing showing the Burning of the Custom House, by a 2nd Battalion IRA artist,

http://www.militaria-archive.com/independence/vb-photo/content/bing/images/large/Vinny_Byrne_Photo_56.jpg

http://www.militaria-archive.com/independence/vb-photo/content/bing/images/large/Vinny_Byrne_Photo_57.jpg

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
This might be interesting to some, it is a postcard from the private collection of Vincent Byrne, E company 2nd Battalion Old IRA. Postcard of a drawing showing the Burning of the Custom House, by a 2nd Battalion IRA artist,

http://www.militaria-archive.com/independence/vb-photo/content/bing/images/large/Vinny_Byrne_Photo_56.jpg

http://www.militaria-archive.com/independence/vb-photo/content/bing/images/large/Vinny_Byrne_Photo_57.jpg

That's a great picture! Thanks very much for posting it. Does anyone else know of the Thomas and Peter Gaffney who were mentioned by diarmuid in part 1 of this thread?

Offline Dermo_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread - great info.  I'm wondering if anybody got the full list of those taken prisoner?  If so is Michael Downes on the list?  He was my grandfather who served in G Company, 1st Battalion and was involved in the burning of the Custom House.

Thanks

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
I would also be very interested in the information on the Gaffneys mentioned in this thread

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread - great info.  I'm wondering if anybody got the full list of those taken prisoner?  If so is Michael Downes on the list?  He was my grandfather who served in G Company, 1st Battalion and was involved in the burning of the Custom House.

Thanks

Hi Dermo, there is not a Michael Downes on the list, but there is a Richard Downes of 11 Emerald Street ! I hope this helps,  I was working on something a few months ago where I retyped the list of & added in the men`s units  I was trying to find out how many from the Squad, ASU & 2 nd Battalion & 5 th Battalion where captured that day.Its something I must get back to. Gary
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

Offline Dermo_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,  This is a great help and it fills another gap for me. Michael lived in Goldsmith Street and was "active" again very soon after the Custom House burning, so this confirms he was not taken prisoner.  Thanks for taking the time to check this for me - appreciate it.

Do we know if there were many from the 1st Batt involved and what was their role?

Regards,
Dermo