Author Topic: William LAURIE  (Read 13554 times)

Offline TERIPAT

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William LAURIE
« on: Wednesday 06 April 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am searching for information about my Great great grandfather William LAURIE/LOWRIE originally he and his wife Mary Elizabeth ( nee Shaughnessy were in Braidwood NSW Australia and he was a miner according to my great grandmothers marriage certificate.  They moved to Queensland around the Gympie area I gather for the gold and William was shot dead in the late 1880s or early 1890s by the police.  I have Marys death listed in Brisbane in 1910 but am unable to find any information about William even though years ago I heard it on the radio that today is the 100th anniversary of the shooting death of Bill Laurie for bushranging. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance
Teripat
Mcmah family - Londonderry- Newtonlimavaady- Ireland- Australia - ??? Harris -Nothhamptonshire- Dorsetshire-England Ayreshire- Scotland
Laurie-Shaughnessy-Scotland -Ireland?-Australia
Varty- Casey-Reynolds-Ellis-McNeilly-Searle-Forrester-Medcalf-Wright-Lee-Wood-Sandilands-Steel
Williams- Australia
Lambert - Singapore- Java- Australia
Walsh-Potter - Singapore- Ireland-Victoria Australia
Raadshooven- Holland- Dutch East Indies- Australia

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William LAURIE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi TERIPAT,

Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

I have found this discussion which includes your couple (second post from the bottom) http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.laurie/111.3.2.1/mb.ashx

If this information is correct then it may be your William who died in 1906 in Queensland with parents named as Thomas and Jane.  Do you have his parents' names from his marriage certificate?
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/mainMenuSubmit.m?main_menu=IndexSearch

The Queensland indexes indicate that Mary's 1910 death was in a country area (C), not Brisbane (B). Have you checked to see if William and Mary are buried together at Gympie?

The immigration record for the Scotia arriving NSW in 1849

Thomas LAURIE, 32, farm labourer, born Tynron, Dumfrieshire, parents William and Jane (both dead), Presbyterian, read and write, relative in the colony a sister Mary(?) LAURIE married to David HASTINGS(?)

Jane LAURIE, 32, housekeeper, born Dunlop, Ayr, parents -- and Ellen DAVIDS-,  mother living at Dunlop, Presbyterian, read and write

Sons William, 4 and Thomas, 2, both born at Largs, Ayr

I cannot find any mention of a Bill or William LAURIE who was a bushranger.

Debra  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 11 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Teripat,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

Your William appears to be a miner in Gympie

Note: age were the ages listed at time of qualification

1900 Electoral Roll

LAURIE John Thomas aged 25  Miner Chapel Street Qualification Residence Date Qualification Registered 30 Nov 1898
LAURIE William Edward aged 23  Miner Pound Hill Monkland Qualification Residence Date Qualification Registered  30 Nov 1898

1905 Electoral Roll

LAURIE William aged 56  Miner Red Hill Qualification Residence Date Qualification Registered 28 Oct 1901
LAURIE John Thomas aged 25 Miner  Chapel Street Qualification Residence Date Qualification Registered 30 Nov 1898
LAURIE William Edward aged 23  Miner Pound Hill Monkland Qualification Residence Date Qualification Registered 30 Nov 1898

I wonder if the Bushranger story came about through a novel published in 1895 by Evelyn Observer, and South and East Bourke Record (Vic. 1882-1902) and also in Papers Past

BARUMBA STATION
or
Amy River's Sacrifice.
A True and Eventfull  Narrative
Of The
EARLY DAYS IN NEW SOUTH WALES.
By Captain LACIE

One of the characters was William LAURIE - a bushranger who was shot  ;)

You can read it on Trove and Papers past (searching for BARUMBAand LAURIE will bring up further chapters.)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60692603

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TERIPAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 11 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra and Kris,

Thank you for your assistance.

The story in the newspaper sounds suspiciously like it could be connected to what my Grandmother and her siblings believed to be their Grandfather William Laurie. 

Grandma used to talk of his brother or cousin that was  with William she said his name was Fred/Frank and that the descendants ended up in the Ipswich  QLd. Area. Grandum and her family were from Sydney Canterbury Area.

Also I believe Williams mothers maiden name was Gardiner, Jane.  So this is probably incorrect also and that William died in 1894 If William was deceased when his daughter married 1899 it would not necessarily say that on the Marriage Certificate would it? 
Thanks again

Terri :)
Mcmah family - Londonderry- Newtonlimavaady- Ireland- Australia - ??? Harris -Nothhamptonshire- Dorsetshire-England Ayreshire- Scotland
Varty- Casey-Reynolds-Ellis-McNeilly-Searle-Forrester-Medcalf-Wright-Lee-Wood-Sandilands-Steel
Williams- Australia

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 11 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Maybe your William.

Queensland PO Directory 1894-95 (Wise)
KILKILVAN
Laurie William, selector.

Kilkilvan is out from Gympie.

Regards
Gerry

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi TERIPAT,

If the parents are deceased at the time of a child's marriage then it should be stated on the certificate, and is sometimes entered instead of an occupation for the father.  However this did not always happen, so if it is not stated there is a better chance of them still being alive, but still not definite.  Not much help really  ;D 

The William LAURIE (of Kilkivan mentioned by Gerry) who died in 1894 (parents William LAURIE and Jane GARDINER) was married to Elizabeth SMITH.  They emigrated from Scotland in 1860  on the Chance with daughter Agnes.  Agnes married Charles Henry Thomas MASON to whom probate was granted when this William died.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cn1/

Debra  :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Terri,

William was not deceased in 1899. He appears to have died in 1906. 1903 and 1905 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls list William (a miner) and Mary at Smythe Street One Mile - The rolls I provided earlier were State Rolls which with an age listed helps determine it is the correct person. Also he was not listed in Gympie in 1900 but when he qualified 28 Oct 1901 he was 56. He was therefore living at that time, and the age fits beautifully with the immigration provided by Debra and the death 23 Oct 1906. C3038 (parents Thomas LAURIE and Jane DAVIS)

There are several mentions in trees (Jane's name found listed in varying sources as DAVIDSON,DAVIDS,DAVIS)

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=monaropioneers&id=I197345
http://stuart.scss.dyndns.info/FamilyTree/individual.php?pid=I10670&ged=Gregory-Hudson.ged

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 11 02:45 BST (UK) »
There is an IGI extracted record

Thomas LAWRIE= Jean DAVIDSON 23 Nov 1844 Dalry Ayr Scotland

Offline TERIPAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 April 11 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

Thanks all the information I looked at all the sites you gave and it seems William was still alive when my Great grandmother Margaret Annie Laurie married my great grandfather John Thomas Harris in 1899.

I am able to find her marriage and her death with her parents being William and Mary, and all her childrens births which includes my Granny Lil.  But I can't find her birth she was born in 1870.

Her sister Frances M was the witness noted on her marriage certificate.
I will go to BDM nsw and have another look.

Thanks for all the info its been great.

Terri

Williams- Australia