Author Topic: ethel may Lloyd  (Read 19961 times)

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ethel may Lloyd
« on: Wednesday 06 April 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Ethel May Lloyd was born in Hereford UK 17.12.1898. She was sent to Canada as an orphan child. Not sure what year and cannot find her on passenger lists. She appeared on 1901 census in Hereford but cannot find her on the 1911.

Have tried census 1911 and 1916 for Canada but no luck.

Anyone got any ideas what I can try now. Thanks.

Kath Coley

Offline Nettopsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ethel may Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more information?  The names of the parents would be very helpful.  Many jurisdictions require the parents names on the marriage certificates, and sometimes on the death certificates as well.

James
Halls, Devon England, Middlesex/Huron Ontario Canada,

Offline Nettopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
You could also try the Home Children postings in the Canada Resources board here on Rootschat.

James

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you James for your suggestions. The parents of Ethel May Lloyd were John Henry Lloyd and Roseanne (or Roseanna), but they both died in UK.

Will try the Home Children site that you suggest. (I am new to Rootschat so am floundering a bit!).

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 11 08:19 BST (UK) »
There is a family tree at Ancestry that has an Ethel May Lloyd born on that date and it says her father died in 1919 and her mother in 1917.

I saw John and Rose Lloyd on the 1911 England census with two children (no Ethel) in an institution in Hereford, Herfordshire. You have to view the image to get a full entry as they are listed individually in the transcriptions.

I can't see a record of her coming to Canada. Are you sure she did? There are a couple of deaths for women named Ethel May Lloyd in England. One in Herefordshire in 1930 - a little older than your Ethel as it says she was 35 but there is also a death for an Ethel May Lloyd that was registered in Bristol in 1974 who has a birth date of 16 Dec 1897. That's awfully close to the date of your Ethel May to exclude in my opinion.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline kaycee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 April 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jacquie for your reply. You have the right family. We are only going on family "legend" that she was sent to Canada as an orphan child (think that's what they were called even though technically they were not orphans). We can find no real trace  of her after her birth in Hereford on 17.12.1898. I have also read that sometimes not only were their surnames changed but forenames also got changed! We don't stand much chance, I think, but we have to try.

I will go again through UK deaths. See if I can get anywhere with that.

Kath

Offline Nettopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 April 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
You might try the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa here in Canada.  They have six  ongoing projects as well as a book about Home Children (children from the UK sent/adopted out to families in Canada).  They might be able to either point you to an expert, or resources, or give you some advice about how to track Ethel if she did make it to Canada.  Their address is http://www.bifhsgo.ca/index.php.

Luck,

James

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 04:43 BST (UK) »
Ethel May Reid LLoyd was apprehended by Barnardo's at the age of 5 and sent to Canada as Ethel May Reid  She was placed with a family that insisted she wash dishes all day.  She was taken back to Barnardo's and sent to be with the Morton family.

When Barnardo's sent her overseas to Canada in 1909 aboard the Silician she was sent with her mother's maiden name Reid. When she was 18 she was driving a horse drawn buggy and there was an accident and Mrs. Morton, an elderly lady was killed. Soon after she married Sylvester Miriam Holden and they had children. Their son's names Charles Mervin Holden, Douglas Holden, Delmar and one other son. They had one daughter Vivian Manetta who married William Joseph Lavoie.  Mervin Holden lives in Richmond B.C. Canada. Doug Holden lives in Kamloops B.C. Canada. Delmar and the other son has passed away.

We always thought our grandmothers name was Ethel Reid not Lloyd until recently when Barnardos sent basic information to my Uncle Charlie in Richmond. My mother was Ethel's only daughter and I'm my mother's only living son. I have two sisters still alive and my four brothers  have passed.

The Holden that participated in the last Olympics was a descendant of Ethel May Reid Holden.
The uncovered road block to a search was done by Barnardo's in the UK. assigning Ethel May her mother's maiden name as her legal last name.
What you also might find interesting is when Ethel May sent back to the UK for her birth records she was sent the wrong records that stated she was born in Aldershot. When Barnardo's finally released some records Ethel was born in Hereford to Rose Reid and John Lloyd. When our grandmother Ethel passed away in Burnaby B.C. she died believing she was born in Aldershot. She never knew the truth about her early years in the UK. She always thought she was the only child in her family. Ethel passed away in about 1985.

Offline MelLavoie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 04:48 BST (UK) »
You can search the British Home children records for Ethel May Reid. The ship was the Silician arriving in 1909.

Ethel's family tree has been found from her arrival in Canada to the present and we, her living descendants are very interested in learning more about ancestry.