Author Topic: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please  (Read 67640 times)

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
Re: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 28 January 16 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi amberden,

99% sure: It is not Lelkowo.

All places (#53) are in Elbing town or county:

- 296 | 35   Schönmoor = Zalesie / Elbing   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalesie,_Elbl%C4%85g_County
- 299 | 34   Wesseln = Zakrzewo / Elbing - Stadtförsterei = forest or forest office of the town -   54.18°N 19.43°O
-  74 | 122   Rakau = Rakowo / Elbing County https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakowo,_Warmian-Masurian_Voivodeship
- - -(or Rakau = Rakowo / Elbing Town   https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakowo_(Elbl%C4%85g) very close to Wesseln!)   
- 372 | 582 Tolkemit = Tolkmicko Elbing County   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkmicko
- F 141 | 951 Elbing Town

Here is a map of Elbing (town): http://greif.uni-greifswald.de/geogreif/geogreif-content/upload/mtbl/1882Elbing.jpg
Gr. (Gross) Wesseln is in the northeast of Elbing city: close to 06 / 93

RHB
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline amberden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rudolph

Many thanks for the information. Having looked at the area on Google Earth it makes sense with the details my dad remembered. The man in charge of the farm was as far as my dad could remember Wilhelm Delenska and my dad though he was German though he spoke Polish as well. Dad though the farm was called Ubbers or Hubers though he wasn't sure and the spelling is just my attempt at how he pronounced it. My dad remembered a stream running through the land that formed the farm. I wonder if you live in this area of Poland and if any of this or the photo attached to my previous posting prompted any ideas of the farms exact location. Thank you once again for the information it has really given me some inspiration to locate the farm if possible.

David

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Just a comment regarding Red Cross records.
I inquired via ICRC (in 2012) and got a full reply. It took a year and there was no charge, but I made a donation to ICRC as thanks.
But now (2016) the service is suspended https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/article/other/02-01-archives-second-world-war.htm - data privacy seems to be the issue. 

For the information of others, I attach the response that I received - this is the sort of information that you MAY find for a British PoW (I have redacted name and DoB).
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up..I wasn't aware that the website had been suspended.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi David / amberden,

You are welcome. - I am not living in this area and not in Poland, but in Palatinate.

I have been in the center Elbing in 1979 and have seen the destroyed buildings of WW2. Reconstruction was done after 1990.

In the moment my connection is not fast enough to check the area by street view. But the area is very close to the city center and instead of forest there are a lot of new buildings including a big church.

There is a group in Elbing with strong interest in history. May be that you discuss the photo with "Dawny Elbląg w 3D": https://www.facebook.com/dawnyelblagw3d/?fref=ts

Good luck   Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline powmanschwimmen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 13 March 16 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello dear research community!
I am the chronicler in the municipality of Berge and investigate war events in the spring of 1945 in our region. On April 18, said to have been shot by my research at the station in ways in Wittenberge 2 British prisoners of war. On April 24, 1945 4 British POWs were shot by an SS officer in Putlitz. The shot in Putlitz prisoners are from the Stalag XXB Marienburg.
Now I'm looking for documents that report on the march route from Marienburg to Putlitz and the Elbe until the liberation in early May 1945th. Diaries or maps.

Greetings from the Prignitz

Thomas

Moderator comment. email address removed in accordance with Rootschat anti spam policy. Please use Private message system to exchange sensitive information

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 17 March 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Thomas. Welcome to Rootschat :)

Your email address has been removed from your post in accordance with our anti-spam and online security policy. 

We encourage discussions to take place on the open thread but do have a Private Message system for exchanging sensitive information.

You will need to a minimum of two posts to be able to send and receive Private Messages. If you post a reply to this message that should give you enough posts.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 18 April 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
I'm just back from a trip to Malbork/Marienburg and I visited the site of Stalag XXB, as well as the Commonwealth Cemetery (and Russian Cemetery) in the town. Stalag XXB site is now just a large piece of rough ground, with some bricks and concrete sticking out. There are no buildings remaining. There is a large memorial to the Camp.  I attach a photo taken April 2016.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 18 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenrigg...Great photo of historical importance...Thanks for sharing...I am a volunteer at our local Family History Centre could I download and use this photo for our files on POWs please.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU