Author Topic: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please  (Read 67553 times)

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 10:14 BST (UK) »
Of course, Carol. Help yourself, or PM me if you woud like a higher-res photo.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenrig...I have printed it off on A4 photo paper and added it to our POW file. Thanks so much, it's much appreciated.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Historygeek88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for help regarding researching my grandad's time in Stalag XXB. I have his war records and debrief upon returning home but unfortunately he did not talk about his experiences very much. Can any one suggest where to start my research?

Thanks in advance!

Offline gwynwalker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to this. I am trying to find out more about my Grandfather Albert Taylor who was a POW in Stalag XX-B. I do not have the dates of his imprisonment but have his Army Number - 7595722, his Regiment was the Royal Engineers and his POW number was 8890. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as he spoke very little of his experience and both my Mum and I would like to know more.
Many thanks for any help.
Gwyn.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 04 December 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Gwyn; with his Army Number, you can apply for his WW2 Army records. This will give you solid information work on (see this, and many other threads for info on how to do that). With his PoW number, you may be able to get his PoW records from International Red Cross - but these may be very thin.  In my experience (my father was in Stalag XXa and XXb), there is not a lot of documentation remaining regarding PoWs in Germany/Poland.  Your GF may have completed a report on his captivity when he was repatriated (assuming he was). That should be in Kew.   For me, the best source of information was my father's WW2 diary which describes life in XXb (and XXa) in great detail. I'm also lucky to have a few original photos of life and work in XXa and XXb.   I visited XXb site  in 2016 (Malbork, Poland) ... there's not much left except a memorial and a CWGC cemetery.

If you have any specific questions then please ask here.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Tomasz Wojciechowski

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
hello, I am looking for information about prisoner No. 58488 Stalag XXB .... I found part of the ID ...

Offline tim091

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 11 March 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I Appreciate this is an old thread but I thought I would add my information anyway! A relative (Richard Farnden) was in Marienburg and I have just got his Mi9 questionnaire which gives a wonderful amount of information. Strongly urge anyone researching a POW to see if Kew has a record.

No affiliation at all but I got mine via this website who go to Kew and photocopy for you: https://www.arcre.com/copyservice. As I say, no connection with them, just a happy customer.

(I tried to attach the document here but it is too big).  One thing that puzzles me is there are gaps in the dates he recorded when he was at which camps. Maybe he couldn't remember.

An interesting point is that he records having left xxb at the end and went to Niedenburg, then Odessa and home on the troopship Duchess of Bedford. This suggests that he wasn't on the Long March and was perhaps in the hospital (patient or orderly) as records show that the hospital was evacuated via that route.

Offline AndrenaSilk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 06 July 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for any personal stories about this POW camp.  My uncle J W Burleigh from the Seaforth Highlanders was captured at St. Valery and spent the rest of the war in this camp I believe.
He was also on the famous Polish march.
If anyone can help me with stories about their time in the camp and their life on return to the Uk then I would be very grateful.
Thank you.

Offline tim091

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 07 July 19 07:23 BST (UK) »
I have learned a lot about life in the camp, and on the work parties, by collecting any books I can find on life in XXA and XXB. So far I have:

Through the Wires - Ivan Gandy
Surviving the Nazi Onslaught - Carole McEntee-Taylor
Years Not Wasted - Keith Panter-Brick
We Battled to Survive - Walter J Cumberland
Came the Day - Grenville John Davies (Ed Jean Smith)
Forbidden Paths - Stuart Brown
Prisoner of Hope - David Wild
For You The War is Over - Sam Kydd
Escape Route Green - Warren Tute

Always looking for any others!