Author Topic: Rudolph LAMBERT Singapore  (Read 16648 times)

Offline TERIPAT

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rudolph LAMBERT Singapore
« on: Thursday 07 April 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to this I am looking for information regarding my great grandparents
on my fathers side.
Rudolph LAMBERT and his wife Sylvia (nee POTTER)
My grandfather Jean Eric LAMBERT he passed away 1972 was one of his many children

I also know of some of his sisters Josie, Marie, Olga most came to Australia after the second world war. I know he had  brothers Roy, Ronnie??, Leslie??

My grandmother Vera Sigrid LAMBERT (nee Roos Van Raadshoven) 1910 - 2009 did not like to talk about history much from before WW11 as she never really recovered from being a POW.

I know my grandfather was married twice and had two children to his first wife but I do not know her name? I know he had a son Eric, and a daughter who passed away as a child.

Also one of Granddads brothers was married to his first wife's sister so unfortunately that caused some family problems.

My grandmother said she met Grandad at a tennis club in Singapore.
I would love to know more like when did Rudolph and Sylvia pass away and where all the great aunties and uncles went?

Any information would be appreciated?

Thank you

Terri

:)
Mcmah family - Londonderry- Newtonlimavaady- Ireland- Australia - ??? Harris -Nothhamptonshire- Dorsetshire-England Ayreshire- Scotland
Laurie-Shaughnessy-Scotland -Ireland?-Australia
Varty- Casey-Reynolds-Ellis-McNeilly-Searle-Forrester-Medcalf-Wright-Lee-Wood-Sandilands-Steel
Williams- Australia
Lambert - Singapore- Java- Australia
Walsh-Potter - Singapore- Ireland-Victoria Australia
Raadshooven- Holland- Dutch East Indies- Australia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rudolph LAMBERT Singapore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know when and where Rudolph was born

Incoming passenger lists have an entry as follows

Rudolph Lambert 41 Insurance agent
Felicitas 41
Reginald 17
Dolcia 15

Embarked Singapore and arrived Southampton England 24.11.1945.  Address travelling to was 11 Belgrave Avenue Congleton Cheshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline TERIPAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 11 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Wow that was quick!!   ;D
 I am sorry no, I don't know where he was born or much about him at all but there is a photo taken in 1923 of Sylvia (known as Goldie) and it is their 25th wedding anniversary.

So maybe this Rudolph is one of his sons and his family??

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Regards
Terry :)
Mcmah family - Londonderry- Newtonlimavaady- Ireland- Australia - ??? Harris -Nothhamptonshire- Dorsetshire-England Ayreshire- Scotland
Varty- Casey-Reynolds-Ellis-McNeilly-Searle-Forrester-Medcalf-Wright-Lee-Wood-Sandilands-Steel
Williams- Australia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though he was born in the 1870's if he married in 1898 but it's knowing where he was born that matters

The English 1881 census has this entry for Eastbourne Sussex

Justin A Lambert 48 Professor of modern languages b Neuchatel Switzerland
Catharine A 45 b Wurtemberg, Germany
Auguste 15 Blackheath, Kent
Rudolf   13 Eastbourne, Sussex
Clara   9 b Sussex
Isabelle 8  ditto
Amelie 6    ditto
Harry Jackson 27 visitor b Staincross, Durham
Auguste Knoble 66 servant b Wurtemberg, Germany
Olga Brendel 17 servant b Saxony, Germany
RG11 Piece 1038 Folio 134 Page 6

In the 1871 census he is Rudolf T and there is another son called Emile aged 9 b London

EDIT

Freebmd has him as James Rudolph P Lambert b 1868 Eastbourne
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
Still with parents in 1891 but the following website has an entry for him leaving in 1892 for Philadelphia

http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/HomePageController.action

Offline TERIPAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 11 00:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol,

Grandmum once mentioned about James Matthias Lambert Carriage works being Granddads family business in Singapore.

And I found a little bit in the singapore papers about a Rudolph Lambert who passed away 1932 but it states he was originally from Germany?? So I am not sure.

I do know that he married Sylvia Eugenie Potter from Ireland thats a definite but I don't know where.

Maybe in Philadlephia!!

thank you

Williams- Australia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Findagrave has photos of the Singapore grave of Jean Rudolph Lambert born in Berlin in 1836, died 1884. His father perhaps?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=60600918

Per the Straits Times;

"On Wednesday last we recorded the death of an old resident, Mr. Jean Rudolph Lambert, a native of Germany, who has been connected with Singapore for upwards of twenty five years. When Mr. Lambert first came to the place, be got employment as an overseer under the Municipal Commissioners. But about the year 1860, he established himself as a carriage builder in Coleman Street close to what is now the Adelphi Hotel, and later on he opened, in partnership with his brother Edward, that large establishment m Orchard Koad, which he occupied until his death. In this workshop, carriages, equal, if not superior, to any made in the East have been constructed, and Singapore is indebted to the Lambert Brothers — both of whom have now passed away — for great improvements in carriage building, both in construction and in the excellence of material. Mr. Lambert leaves a considerable fortune to his children, and will be long remembered as a fine example of a steady, industrious, and successful colonist, and a genial and public spirited citizen."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:m5estJ7FTecJ:newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/Article/stweekly18841008.2.9.aspx+%22rudolph+lambert%22+Singapore+Germany&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TERIPAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun,

Thank you for this.

This Rudolph is obviously related  but it can't be my great grandfather because my grandfather Jean Eric Rudolph Lambert was only born in 1900 perhaps it is my great great grandfather.

I know they were a wealthy family but we have a group shot taken in 1923 on Rudolph and Sylvias (nee Potter) 25th wedding anniversary 1923. So that rules them out.

Thanks again. The photos are great I am sure they have to be relatives not unless there are two lines of Lamberts who use the names Jean. Eric & Rudolph. who lived in Singapore at that time.

It would be good to find out Rudolph Seniors wifes's name.

I really don't know how to track this down is there  BDM sites in Singapore or Dutch East Indies mostly Batavia Java, that you know of

Cheers

Terri :D
Williams- Australia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 April 11 09:05 BST (UK) »

http://www.tfoenander.com/singaporejurors1.htm

In this 1904 list of Singapore jurors we have:

Rudolph Lambert, broker; Flint Street.

William Lambert, manager, Carriage Works; 190, Orchard Road

The Straits Times of 21 April 1930 announces the death of Athea, widow of Jean Rudolph lambert aged 89.
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cnb/

and on the same page there is an acknowledgement from Mr W Lambert and Miss L Lambert thanking those who attended their mother's funeral.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cnc/

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk