Author Topic: Help - Bath Police Records???  (Read 2115 times)

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help - Bath Police Records???
« on: Saturday 23 April 05 11:34 BST (UK) »
My 3x Great Grandfather Jonathan Sutton was a Police Inspector in Bath, Somerset.  He died on the 6 June 1878 of a fractured skull.  I'm assuming it may have been whilst on duty or connected with his occupation.  Does anybody have any suggestions about obtaining police records or coronor's reports etc.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm researching from New Zealand.

many thanks

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Bath Police Records???
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 05 11:49 BST (UK) »
hi vanessac

try this link
https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/history/history_main_page.asp

if you contact them, they will probably have a force archivist.

Mick
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline zebedee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This site helped me find my great grandfather who was a police sergeant in Somerset. I was able to purchase two newspaper reports of his retirement and his obituary.

I have looked on the site and found your g.g.g.grandfather, Joanathan Sutton. There are two newspaper reports that you can order for him at a cost of £6 each. One is a news report of his death(probably stating how he died) and the other is his death notice/obituary, in 1878.

Go to this site

http://www.lightage.demon.co.uk/POLNOTES.htm

Look up his surname and you will see him listed. Then go to POLICE MAJOR ORDER FORM and you can order his death report and then to POLICE MINOR ORDER FORM and you can order his obituary report.

I hope this gives you what you want.

Kirsten.

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 09:52 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you sooooo much, I didn't think I would every find any info about this man as apparently the archive files for Bath Police Staff no longer exist.  I have emailed the website as I am researching from New Zealand and it is hard to pay from here, so hopefully they will be able to sort something out for me.  Its so exciting to find any information on this family as my Grandmother immigrated from England to New Zealand in the early 1920's when she was very young and not alot is known about the families they left behind.

Thanks again
Vanessa

Offline KD Laura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa, I hope you’re still on this site. Jonathan Sutton is my g.g.g.g.g grandfather. I’ve been looking for information on him here too and came across your post. I live in north wales in the UK. Just curious if we have descended from the same people.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat KD Laura.

Vanessa hasn't been on here since 2009 but hopefully if she is still arounf/has the same email address she will see you reply.

If not is there anything Rootschatters can help you with?

Trish :)

FreeREG has Jonathan/Elizabeths childrens Baptisms All Saints, Weston;
LIZETTA 04 May 1828
HENRY 16 May 1830
HARRIET 05 Aug 1832
CHARLOTTE 27 Mar 1836
ANN 26 Aug 1838

Although on all their Baptisms he is a Labourer by 1841 Census as you know Jonathan has become a Policeman.
Later Baptisms, same Church, Jonathan a Policeman.
ELIZA JANE 23 Oct 1842
EDWARD 06 Apr 1845
GEORGE 06 Apr 1845
WILLIAM ROBERT 31 Oct 1847
JAMES WALTERS 07 Jul 1850

There are 2 Burials same Church;
JOHN Sutton 30 Sep 1838 age 39, abode 6 Kingston Sq. Walcot
JOHN Sutton 28 Jun 1840 age 75*****

***Possible Father of Jonathan?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hi, i am still on here.  Thanks for the reply.  It’s great to find another descendant from Jonathan Sutton.  I have learnt a little more about him since I was last on this site.  Although he was a police inspector, his fractured skull didn’t come about from his work.  He had just retired from the force and was at home trimming a tree and fell from a ladder ending up with a fractured skull.  He later died from those injuries.  I have also seen a picture of his grave site.

Offline KD Laura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you for replying. That’s very sad news. I believe his son was also in the London police. I am currently a serving Police Officer and these they are the only two in my family tree on my dads side that were also officers. I’ll pass the information on to my dad to.  :)