Author Topic: Helen Kenley and Elizabeth 'Hawkey'  (Read 7241 times)

Offline HubbellGardiner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Kenley and Elizabeth 'Hawkey'
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mundell

I've had a look for a marriage of a Robert Mundell to a Mary Munro but I couldn't find any matches either.  :( To be honest I think the 1871 birth you found for Robert Glendinning Mundell is probably your man. The age is only about 3 years out on the marriage certificate and the middle name is very distinct. Surely there can't have been 2 different men called Robert Glendinning Mundell of a simlilar age in a similar area at the same time   ;D

With regard to Robert's service records, about two thirds of ww1 service records were destroyed in a fire during ww2 so often you will be unable to find a record even if you have details of the regiment someone served in.

I've had a look on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website (www.cwgc.org) and there is a listing for Robert. Unfortunately there are no details of family members but it does give his service number, rank and details of the cemetery where he is buried including a photograph of the cemetery. If you haven't seen the listing you will find Robert listed as R G Mundell.

Hope this information helps. :)

Regards,
HubbellGardiner

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes, I think this must be my grandfather.  It was the different names given for his parents that bothered me, but both could be errors of transcription.  Especially with the Glendinning name link through the mother's family. So I think I can feel comfortable with that.

That is sad about the WW1 record destruction.  I didn't know that.  I tried hard to see if there was any archives I could explore on the regimental website without success.  I wanted to see if he had served in France and to try to find out if the condition (pneumonia and pulmonary embolism), was trench warfare related.  Yes, once I realised he had not died in Scotland, I was able to find those details, which solved yet another mystery for me.  I wish I had known where his grave was when I was down that way a couple of years ago.  As I said, Unfortunately,  English death certificates (and other documents) are much less detailed and one can't see those images online.

Thank you for all your help.  You have given me some very useful tips and I have learned a lot.

Regards,   Mundell

Offline HubbellGardiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 April 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mundell

If you are looking for general information about where your grandfather served during WW1 you could try www.1914-1918.net

The site has a great deal of information about WW1 in general and the movements of all the different regiments during WW1. It also details the movements of specific battalions of each regiment.

Happy to be of help. ;D

Regards,
HubbellGardiner

Offline Mundell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 April 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello again HubbellGardiner,

That is one great website, with such a lot of useful information of other record collections and how to use them.  Thank you so much.  Having thanked Rootschatters for all of the assistance I have received, I was about to sign off on this topic, although I will continue to pursue my family research. You have been particularly encouraging and generous with your knowledge and experience.  hdw  too.  Thank you both again.

Regards, Mundell

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 October 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post but came across it while googling Lambuletham while researching my Brown ancestors.. my father's maternal side.
I have Andrew Brown who married Elizabeth H ? as the brother of my 3 x great grandfather Peter Brown b. 1802 in Kilconquhar. I have their daughter Janet marrying John Walton, his parents as John Walton and Elizabeth Rollo.
As I have Waltons on my father's paternal side checked my tree and lo and behold -
 John Walton snr b. 1809 in Dairsie was the son of Robert Walton who was the brother of my 3 x great grandmother Euphemia Walton who's son Robert Kirkcaldy (my 2 x great grandfather) was his cousin!  Small world indeed.
Incidentally on my GR tree I have the source of my info on John Walton and Elizabeth Rollo as Mundell ! :)
Jenc

Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 October 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
Just sourced Andrew Browns death certificate..he died on the 4th September 1886 at Links Street Kirkcaldy ' married to Elizabeth Halket and son of William Brown and Margaret Finlay
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)