Author Topic: John Steel and Mary Neilson  (Read 11792 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Steel and Mary Neilson
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 May 12 18:40 BST (UK) »
You can use the personal message system(PM) to exchange email addresses or other private information
Just click on the small green scroll to the left of the post of the person you wish to contact

Hope this helps

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline blackfacesheep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 May 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Islay,
I have to go out now for most of the day but when I'm home later I'll send a message through the PM system (if I can work out how to do it :-)
I know that John will be happy to send you a copy of the master mariners certificate as he has sent me a copy already. We met through a geneology site, too.
Will write as soon as I get a chance (hopefully tonight) but my daughter and grandson are arriving mid afternoon and things will be busy for a couple of days.
Cheers, Blackfacesheep.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 May 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi blackfacesheep and Islay 1,
Having enjoyed a dip into your family, as it were, last year, I got a flag that there were new replies.    It's brilliant that you are in touch with each other - isn't Rootschat wonderful!!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline blackfacesheep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 May 12 02:16 BST (UK) »
Yes maggie1895 it is !!! and thanks to you we have more info than we would have otherwise found as well.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 May 12 09:11 BST (UK) »

Totally agree that with Rootschat help we have enriched our experience of family research immeasurably - thank you for your help,support and encouragement! (Also I thank ev for the guidance on using your PM system.)I have so much enjoyed swapping memories of our snippets of family lore with Blackfacesheep,and making contact. Thank you,Rootschat.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 April 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
    We have had so much help from Rootschat members here, and since we last posted I have been searching unsuccessfully for a missing piece of our puzzle, and I wondered if I could ask one more thing. The story of John Neilson Steel has no ending yet!
     The last I can see of him is on a 1891 census, living in Glasgow as father-in-law with Angus Mckechnie, but after that he disappears. I have looked for him on SP and also the deaths at sea ( he was a mariner, merchant service) but cannot locate him.

Born 1836, Barony,Glasgow he married Sarah Jane Owens in Liverpool, and the family relocated to Glasgow in the 1860/70s. Sarah Jane Owens died in 1893 in Govan, and on her death certificate she is married and not a widow, so John must have been alive in 1893. What is the end of his life story?

Any further help would be so much appreciated. Many thanks in advance, best wishes, Islay

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 April 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
I might perhaps have some more relatives to add to your tree.

James Beaumont Neilson's brother John had a son Walter who married Janet Fulton. Their son William, (born in Coatbridge on 24 December 1844, died in Glasgow 27 April 1921), married my 4th cousin 3 times removed, Alexina Guthrie Fraser (30 December 1857 - 19 June 1895). They had four sons, and I have some information about descendants. One of the sons emigrated to New Zealand and establshed a station which he named Summerlee.

If you are interested, PM me your e-mail address.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 May 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Forfarian.
         I too am descended from James Beaumont Neilson's older brother John. He was my g.g.g.grandfather, it was his daughter Mary who married John Steel senior, and their son John Steel junior whose death I am trying to discover.

Long lost albeit distant relatives.....how intriguing! Not sure how to send my email address privately to you. I'm a complete dunce with these computers, sorry!

Best wishes, Islay

Offline SamMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 June 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I am descended from that side also. He was my GGGrandad also. Do you have a photo of John Neilson at all?