Author Topic: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone  (Read 52800 times)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« on: Sunday 10 April 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

I recently discovered (via a relative on this board) that my ancestor John Day was "of Antigua" (verified by at least three sources).  He died before 20 September 1791 as indicated by his daughter Ann Day's marriage to my ancestor Thomas Lodington (at St. George the Martyr, Queen Square, Holborn, London on 20 September 1791).

This John Day also had two further children (and of course, potentially more as yet discovered), Elizabeth Day and Post Capt. William Day, R.N., Governor of Sierra Leone.

Elizabeth Day married Charles Wills Walrond (son of Main Swete Walrond, 5 Marquis de Vallado) on 18 May 1777 in Edinburgh.  The Walrond family are well documented in several sources and this branch were in Antigua.

Post Capt. William Day, R.N., Governor of Sierra Leone: he was governor of Sierra Leone twice, according to sources and it seems he died in 1805 (after 4 Nov).  I do not have anything further about him, apart from that he had 3 daughters:

1. Sarah Day (born circa 1800 in Yeovil, Somerset and died September Quarter 1886, Islington Registration District) married William Stewart Lodington (son of the above Thomas Lodington and Ann Day) and had issue 13 children
2. Ellen Day (2nd daughter) married Dr. David Barry Conway, R.N., a surgeon on 23 September 1828 in Lee, Kent and had issue a son and daughter
3. Harriet Day (born circa 1802, Kent Road, London) married Aaron Saul on 14 November 1820 at St. John the Baptist, Clerkenwell.  Aaron Saul was a labourer with the East India Company and on his son's marriage he is said to be a Missionary

I am therefore looking for further information in regards to the Day family, or at least some information as to where I can seek further information?

I do not know whether John Day was born in Antigua or just spent some time there (or even whether he had a plantation).  It is interesting to note that one of his granddaughters was born in Yeovil, whilst the other was born in London.  Perhaps the family had links to Somerset?

Also, I was curious as to whether there was any further information regarding Capt. William Day, R.N., Governor of Sierra Leone.  With him holding such an important position, I would have thought there maybe some further biographical information about him?

Any assistance is most welcomed on this.  I have not researched any form of Colonial ancestry before, so any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline Downcraig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi James
Saw yours re John Day and son William etc. I am descended from Elizabeth who married Chas Wills Walrond. I don't have much on John but found a will for Capt. William (Gov Sierra Leone). Have you seen it? It does not help much but kicks up a few tantalising clues which I have been trying to follow. I would like to know who John of Antigua's wife was and his parentage. So far no luck. William was married to a Sarah. Do you know her surname as you are directly descended from them through the second Lodington connection? I am trying to transcribe the will but quite difficult to read some parts. There is a mention of Colnbrook in Buckinghamshire but I think that is more through Sarah than William and a brother John as well as sisters Elizabeth and Ann (Mrs Thos Lodington, Thomas was named one of the Executors) and a son John. It also mentions a cousin Sarah someone - I can't read the surname properly but it could be Long or Gough or Bough or something completely different. Frustrating as it could point to an earlier generation. It also mentions a Mr Moore of Langley, Bucks and a George Charles Nixon but without explanation.

I also found a query in an Genealogy Directory of 1909 which asks for the surname of three sisters who married John Day of Antigua, John Taddy and Richard Harris of Maidstone in 1730-40s Also Bristol Records office apparently have some docs on a Day family of West Indies merchants which mentions a John Day son of James Day of Colon Parva, Cornwall. I have not been able to follow that one up and there is no obvious or verifiable link to John of Antigua from the limited info I found via internet searching.

Be interested to hear from you

Kyle, Sibbat, Rea/Rae, Haw/Hall (All Portglenone)
Day (Antigua)
Lamont (Greenock)
Currie, McPhail, Morison, McArthur (All Craignish/Kilmartin area)
Ferrier (Cardross)
Logan (Larbert)
Paisley (Paisley)
Croom, Speid (Dundee)
Bushell (Liverpool)
Longton (Stockport/Liverpool)

Offline brothers-searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 11 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have located marriage records for a John Day marrying Sarah Smith 25 Sep 1758 St Leonard's Shoreditch and a John Taddy marrying Susanna Smith  at St Clement Eastcheap 23 Jan 1745 and as yet have not been able to find a marriage for a Richard Harris of Maidstone marrying a Smith. Not easy to isolate the right Richard Harris. All the names Day, Smith and Harris are extremely common, so these may not even be relaed people but it's a start.
I have Ann Day (wife of Thomas Lodington) daughter of John Day and Sarah being born 13 Oct 1771 and baptised 8 Feb 1772 at St Andrew Holborn.

Oh for those who don't know my posts I am the 5 x great grandaughter of Ann Day and Thomas Lodington (I think that is the right number of greats)
Lorraine
Down - Colney Hatch, Tiverton Devon, Pilton Devon, East Down Devon;
Barker - Dumfries Scotland, Castlemaine Victoria, Sydney Australia;
Lodington - London
Rutherford - Dumfries, Earlston, Hownam, Chatto
Maxwell - Dumfries, Munches
Harris - Newcastle on Tyne
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW
Fenwick - NSW; Newcastle upon Tyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
James and Downcraig,
More to add: :)
Found the marriage register entry for Elizabeth Day and Charles Wills Walrond at Edinburgh May 18 1777. The text reads Charles Wills Walrond Esqur. Island of Antigua and Miss Elizabeth Day Parish of Edinb. Daughter of Mr Day deceased.
Then I have a marriage reference from the Gentleman's Magazine February 1777 - 15 John Day, Esq. of the Middle Temple, Advocate General in the East Indies, to Miss Ramus, of St. James palace. (Don't know if this one is related but it was of interest).
Then on Google Books look at "The Papers of Henry Laurens: January 1 1759 to August 31 1763" by Henry Laurens which has a letter to John Day 24 January 1763 referring to the loss of a Brigantine Portsmouth.
In his will William Day has two codicils and i the second one he refers to the children of his late brother John, his late sister Elizabeth Walrond and my sister Ann Lodington and my cousin Sarah (L?)ough of London. Date is Oct 22nd 1804...amount paid to Mrs Day Sierra Leone May 5 1805.
These at least give us more dates to reference for further research.
I have yet to source the parish registers of Antigua - the 3 volumes of History of Antigua have some register entries but only those referring to pedigrees detailed in the book that occur in Antigua. John Day is mentioned through the volumes as an executor or beneficiary in certain wills.
That's all I have for now,
Lorraine
Lodington - London
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW

Offline Downcraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

Funnily enough I was just composing a response to your earlier one when I got a notification of another post.

Thanks for your info. I had seen the John Taddy entry but not the John Day one. It cuts things a bit fine for my Elizabeth Day daughter of John as she married in 1777 so would have had to have been born fairly soon after the 1758 marriage. May I ask the source of your info and also of the birth and baptism of Ann Day who married Thomas Lodington? Are you certain that the birth and baptismal dates are for that Ann? The Caribbeana volumes mention a John Day and his wife Elizabeth Yate, but they must have been an earlier generation and whether they were of the same family remains to be seen. They had a son John and a daughter, Anne but this was in a will dated 1715 with codicils up to 1723. Will continue to dig.
Kyle, Sibbat, Rea/Rae, Haw/Hall (All Portglenone)
Day (Antigua)
Lamont (Greenock)
Currie, McPhail, Morison, McArthur (All Craignish/Kilmartin area)
Ferrier (Cardross)
Logan (Larbert)
Paisley (Paisley)
Croom, Speid (Dundee)
Bushell (Liverpool)
Longton (Stockport/Liverpool)

Offline nicca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting. I too am looking for the Day/Slaven family who migrated to the Cbean in 1920...The family migrated as Slaven; The father, Charles Slaven, was a mulatto born in Antigua (Mixed heritage;father a british colonnel (John Henry Slaven)and mother an Antiguan, possibly, black)..The mother Ada Louisa Day from East End, London, married name Slaven, and her daughter Edith "Edie" Mary Elizabeth Slaven and brother Albert Edward Slaven. Wondering as I read this post if the mother's Day roots are related to your  John Day?  The mother's father was Charles Day, born 25 Dec 1848, Holyhead, N. Wales...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Downcraig
The marriage record for Elizabeth Day and Charles Walrond is from the Old Parish Registers on ScotlandsPeople, I have downloaded the page so if you like I can email it to you. My email is *
Ann Day who married Thomas Lodington is quite obviously William's sister (stated in his will) and daughter of John Day of Antigua (Gentleman's Magazine 1791 pg873) - I have the image of this page also.
The dates are interesting, Elizabeth is not shown as a minor so would have been 21 on 18 May 1777 meaning she would have been born abt 1756 or before; Ann is shown as a minor on her marriage to Thomas with permission given by her guardian but no name is given, but this does not confirm her parents and birth record as I have - it could well be another Ann Day. There does seem to be quite a difference in their ages, though as yet I haven't found a birth for William of his brother John  - I would be open to suggestions that they were all born in Antigua as I saw something in one of the online books that suggests that William was born in Antigua. I think it may have been a history of Sierra Leone which I can only see a snippet view of on Google books and here in Australia I need to go to Canberra as the National Library has a copy.
Lorraine
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Lodington - London
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 11 10:33 BST (UK) »
Guys,
I have now been to Canberra and accessed the History of Sierra Leone which has a couple of pages that refer to William Day. He appears to have had gout which he ended up apparently dying of in 1805.
It is stated in the book that he was born in the West Indies, unfortunately I didn't check the bibliography to see where the author came by that information, but will check the book again when I can. It is mentioned in the book that William "...Day returned to England in 1803 and gave the Parliamentary Committee a glowing account of what his enthusiasm had affected"

Now James, I came across a reference today that is for a John Day Lodington who married in Western Australia in 1854 and died in Victoria. I have yet to find a reference to his parents, an interesting aside.

Some other information about Thomas Edward Lodington - The baptism record in Paris for Edward Clarence Lodington shows that Thomas was there serving with the 53rd. Candler was indeed born at sea on board the London and the master of the ship was Samuel Candler, so that is where his name comes from, babies born at sea were often named after the captain or the surgeon.

Now Thomas Edward Lodington's regimental number with the 53rd was 976 and the year associated with it was 1816. Found this on the website "King's Own Royal Regiment Museum, Lancaster".

Candler Lodington, son of Thomas Edward Lodington was a sailor, as you know, he was awarded the China Medal for the First China War or Opium War and served on thePylades. His service record can be found at the National Archives at ADM 29/46/44.

I also found the 1901 census for Beverley Edwards (76), furniture dealer, and his family, his wife is shown as Ruby (77), born Dorset, and his daughter Matilda (34) is still living at home.

That's it for now.
Hope it helps,
Lorraine
Lodington - London
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Greetings everyone,

I somehow missed these replies!  I did check my e-mails but maybe missed them.

I mentioned in another message on this forum about my Day family which maybe of use.  I shall also go through these messages thoroughly and get back to you all with my thoughts.

Downcraig, Colnbrook is right next to Langley in Buckinghamshire (I had family associated with that area for many years), so there could be a link there.

Best regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)