Author Topic: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone  (Read 52731 times)

Offline CanberraPeter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 16 June 12 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi ...
(2nd try; 1st failed)

I cannot help regarding who the George E D Lodington or Edward H D Lodington might be, or even if they are two persons, not one.  However, with the Lodington and Dyer names, and the way they kept marrying their cousins, he/they was/were probably cousin/s of some sort.

I can say the following, based on family correspondence from that time:
-- William was the eldest of Sarah (Day) Lodington's children. 
-- He died sometime before 1872, and this is consistent with the 1862 death you report.
-- His widow Harriet died suddenly in mid to late 1872, and her son William ("Billy") died in Middlesex Hospital 6 weeks later.
-- "Billy" was the only son of William and Harriet.
-- the family did not know of a George Lodington.

That defines the problem, at least.

Peter

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 10 August 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
I want to apologise for my long absence.  My computer needed replacing and I have also been busy.  I hope to be a bit more active now so I shall go through all the e-mails and messages here and try and reply back as soon as I can.

Thank you Lorraine for the post about Sarah Day and her new sister who I did not know about.  It is much appreciated.  I shall have a look around for further information.

Best regards,

James
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 10 August 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
I've taken a quick look at the Will but my eyes cannot handle it at the moment!  Where does it mention Mr. Jagger and her sister Roberta?

This could help us determine what Sarah's maiden name was.  We need to find a female Jagger/male Jackson marriage, I presume?

The name Jackson crops up again... it's a name that seems to appear a lot in the Lodington tree.

I have found a marriage between an Elizabeth Jagger and Edward Jackson on 5 June 1810 at Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey but I do not know if this is individual we're looking for.  I'll see if I can find the original record and see if it notes her as a widow.

We potentially have some good news.  The original record reads:

Edward Jackson of the Parish of Langley in the County of Buckingham, bachelor a minor, married Elizabeth Jagger of this parish, widow {by and with consent of John Jackson the natural and lawful father of the said minor were married in this church by license this fifth day of June in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ten, By me J. H. Mapleton, rector

Witnesses were James H. (not sure what the surname is), Susannah Hopwood and John Jackson

Is this marriage too late to be a second marriage for Uncle Jagger's widow?
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline Downcraig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello James and Lorraine
I've been away for a long time and just revisited these posts. Some great research being done.
James - I like your Smyth (rather than Smith) suggestion for John Day's wife very much and looking again at William Day's will I am fairly well on the way to convincing myself that the cousin Sarah mentioned whose surname is difficult to decipher could be Smyth. I had rejected Smith in favour of something like Lough or Bough, because of the curlicue below the line, but now think it could well be the y of Smyth. The small gap between the y (if it is one) and the h, is enough to accommodate a faded t. Cousin Sarah Smyth would have to be the daughter of Sarah Smyth (Mrs John Day)'s brother, perhaps the William or Christopher you mention. Did you find any more about those Smyths of Annables, Herts?

By the way, just to remind you in case I am forgotten - I am descended from John's daughter Elizabeth who married Charles Wills Walrond - interestingly they named one of their daughters Grace Ladington (sic) Walrond.

Kyle, Sibbat, Rea/Rae, Haw/Hall (All Portglenone)
Day (Antigua)
Lamont (Greenock)
Currie, McPhail, Morison, McArthur (All Craignish/Kilmartin area)
Ferrier (Cardross)
Logan (Larbert)
Paisley (Paisley)
Croom, Speid (Dundee)
Bushell (Liverpool)
Longton (Stockport/Liverpool)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Downcraig,

Thank you for the recent message re. Joh Day, of Antigua's wife Sarah.

I may have mentioned amongst the messages here but I do have note that Sarah "Smith" his wife had two sisters.  One was Susanna Smyth who married John Taddy (chr. 6 Jun. 1717, St. John the Baptist, Margate, Kent and buried 24 May 1750, St. John the Baptist, Margate) on 23 Jan 1745 at St. Clement, Eastcheap, London.  This couple had a son Christopher Taddy, of Buckland, Kent who married twice, firstly to Mary Anne Hopkins (daughter of Rt. Hon. Sir John Hopkins, Lord Mayor of London and his wife Anne Simpkins and secondly to Elizabeth Russell, of Croydon, Surrey, sister of a Kitty Russell.  Christopher Taddy and his first wife Mary Anne Hopkins had 3 children, viz. William Taddy, B.A., Charles Taddy and Rev. John Taddy, M.A., perpetual curate of Northill, Bedfordshire.  William and Rev. John Taddy had issue.

The other sister of Sarah "Smith" and Susannah Smyth is said to have married Richard Harris, of Maidstone, Kent.  I have not been able to determine anything further regarding him or his wife.  He could be linked to the Harris' of Turkey Mill, Kent who lived not far from Maidstone.  I have not found a link however.

So if Sarah "Smith" was a Smyth, then the fact Susannah Smyth, her supposed sister had her surname recorded as Smyth at marriage, suggests that we maybe on the right lines with regards to the spelling of their surname.

Despite having read that she did have 2 sisters, I have yet to determine who their parents were.

I would also say the fact two of her supposed sisters married men of Kent, it may therefore be the case their father, mother or both were also of Kent.

Best regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
If Susanna Smyth who married John Taddy was a sister then she would have been quite a bit older as she was buried 2 October 1799, in the North Aisle of St. Helen's Church, Bishopsgate, London, aged 81.  This would thus have made her birth year circa 1718.  Her husband John Taddy was christened 6 June 1717 and the marriage took place on 23 January 1745 thus it seems Susanna would have been aged approximately 27 at the time.

Sarah "Smith" who married John Day, of Antigua on 25 September 1758 would seem to have been born in the 1730s.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Greetings everyone. I come with some potential good news.

I have renewed my search regarding the Day family and especially the link with Susanna Smyth (who married John Taddy).

If you remember correctly she was mentioned in regard to the Will of Mary Greenhill (née Smyth), of St. Albans, Hertfordshire (widow of Rev. Cleave Greenhill, of Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire).

I have located the Will and have taken a look and it appears Susanna Taddy (née Smyth) was Mary Greenhill's (née Smyth) niece. Christopher Taddy is also mentioned as the son of Susanna Taddy (elsewhere he's mentioned as the only son of John Taddy and Susanna).

I have yet to determine who Susanna Smyth is the daughter of but I initially propose the following:

I found a Susanna Smyth that married a George Smith, of St. Saviour, Southwark, a hop merchant in 1712. This fits in the time frame for them to be potential parents of the three Smyth/Smith sisters.

The Susanna Smyth who married George Smith is of the Smyth family of Annables, Hertfordshire and I believe she maybe the Susanna Smyth christened on 1 August 1677 at St. Mary's, Newington, Surrey (and supposedly died on 4 November 1749) daughter of Edmund Smyth of Annables, Hertfordshire and Elkington, Lincolnshire and his wife Anne Reading. If this is correct then her two brothers James Smyth, of Annables and Elkington and Rev. William Smyth, rector of Emberton, Buckinghamshire were signatories to her marriage settlement.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/6a4a505a-5990-4c19-a2f8-4257b350509c

I have yet to determine whether they had any children however or indeed whether George Smith was of the same family or unrelated.

If the above couple were parents of the Smyth/Smith sisters then they would be nieces of Mary Greenhill (née Smyth). It would also make sense why their surnames are noted as both Smith and Smyth.

Now I just need to find the proof of this affiliation.

If anyone has found anything further of note about the Days, Smyths or Lodingtons, since 2014, then please do let me know either on here or via PM.

Best regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I must say, apart from that one link by a researcher of the Whatman family of Kent, I have found no proof as of yet that those three Smith/Smyth girls were sisters. This does pose a problem, as if they are not related, then we are also therefore not related to the Harris or Taddy families via marriage.

Does anyone have proof anywhere that the Susanna Smyth who married John Taddy on 23 Jan 1745 is in anyway related to the Sarah Smith who married John Day, of Antigua?

Further to my previous post, I did find some children of a George Smith and Susanna, including a Susanna (albeit in 1727 and not 1718) christened at St. James Garlickhithe, London. The only reason this is significant is that my own purported christening for John Day, of Antigua is at the same church in 1733.

It would mean his purported sister-in-law Susanna was christened much later in 1727 rather than 1718, which would mean she was 18 at marriage rather than 27.

There was no Sarah Smith or Smyth christening to a George and Susanna however.

There is also a 1714 christening for a Susanna Smith to a George and Susanna at Walthamstow which might be this Susanna. This would fit better for the 1712 marriage of her parents.

Best regards,

James
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I have located the Will of George Smith, hop merchant of St. Saviour's, Southwark in 1741.

Unfortunately it tells us his only living child (by Susanna) is Susanna Smith. Seemingly not married. I purport this is the Susanna Smith that married John Taddy on 23 Jan 1745, which would fit for her to be the niece of Mary Greenhill (née Smyth). The 1714 christening in Walthamstow fits for her.

This unfortunately seems to indicate (apart from two sons who might be via a first wife) she was the only surviving child of Susanna. This therefore makes it unlikely that Sarah Smith (or indeed the Smith who married Richard Harris, of Maidstone, Kent) are her sisters. The Will suggests he may have been married prior to Susanna but any children born to her would be far too old to be marrying in the 1740s and 1750s.

I shall though see if Susanna Smith (née Smyth) has a Will and see if it brings up anything interesting.

However, besides being a Hop merchant, George Smith was also a tallow chandler. This is the same purported profession of John Day, of Antigua's father. There could still be a link between the two families.

Maybe George Smith's sons via what appears to be his first wife maybe the link.

Best regards,

James
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)