Author Topic: John Ritchie born 1851/1852 ???  (Read 3389 times)

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Ritchie born 1851/1852 ???
« on: Tuesday 12 April 11 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Following the paper trail from birth death marriage certificates and census.

I have a death cert of John Ritchie from New Zealand stating fathers name John Ritchie, mother Mary Brown Cambell, age 56 in 27.2.1908 born Glasgow, wife Isabella Paul. Informant son Daniel McQueen Ritchie.

I have found the marriage certificate of John Ritchie and Isabella Paul. 18.8.1877 Great Hamilton Street, Paisley, stating fathers name John Ritchie (dec) and mother Janet Cambell (dec), witnesses Isabella's brother and Minister of the North Parish. Groom John Ritchie age 25.

I have searched the Scottish BDM for five years either side of 1851 and 1852 with no luck. Plenty of John Ritchie's with a father John Ritchie but none with a mother matching either of the names.

Have been in the handwriting forum to check that I am reading the handwriting as best as possible. In the census the only time I can say for certain thats him is not until the 1881 census. In 1877 he was living at 4 love street paisley which was the home of the Paul family in 1871.

Anybody got any other ideas to climb this brick wall.
Thanks

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Ritchie born 1851/1852 ???
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 00:55 BST (UK) »

name:   John Ritchie

birth date:   05 Oct 1864
birthplace:   PERTH,PERTH,SCOTLAND

father's name:   John Ritchie
mother's name:   Janet Campbell

Possible? Mother on death cert may be step-mother
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 01:06 BST (UK) »
I'll throw this one in but doesn't look right with your dates..

marriage:   02 Aug 1857 — Gateshead,Durham,England

groom's name:   James Ritchie
groom's birth date:   1834
groom's age:   23
bride's name:   Isabella Paul
bride's birth date:   1839
bride's age:   18
marriage date:   02 Aug 1857
marriage place:   Gateshead,Durham,England
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes I looked at the John Ritchie born 1864 father John Ritchie and mother Janet Campbell, followed this family for a while, even though it would have made him only 13 when he got married in 1877. This John married an Agnes and is in the 1901 census along with my John who married Isabella Paul.

Thanks

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
I had some SP credits left over, was wrong file,  but perhaps will stop some one else accessing the file. I thought I would see if there were any Mary Brown Ritchie deaths.

There is a death in Paisley of a Mary Brown Ritchie in 1859 and SP has no age on the search. It is a infant Mary Brown aged 7months, but parents are John Ritchie and Elizabeth Walker.

Sorry
Murphyz

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Murphyz
Thankyou for trying, I have a list of John Ritchie births from 1845 to 1855, thinking that none of them have Janet Campbell as mother that maybe his birth mother had died and father re married to Janet Campbell and she raised him hence her name on his marriage as mother. Something to explore anyway.
Thanks again