Author Topic: Who IS my great great grandmother?  (Read 9837 times)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Who IS my great great grandmother?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
This just gets worse and worse!! :o

How do I break all this to elderly Dad, who doesn't like scandal when its HIS side of the tree??
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
No necessarily a Scandal.
Ann MORREY may have been Widowed herself.
There is a Omar HALL Burial 12 August 1833, Baswick, Staffs.
Possible Christening 1801 also.
(Familysearch Pilot)
Would love to know his age Son/or Omar that Married a few months before I wonder.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
Omah Hall the banker (and putative father of Ann) was born 1773 and had the follwing children:

Eliza b 1799
Omar b 1801
 Alfred b 1803
Jane born 1805

Always possible, of course, that Ann's father was Omar junior, b 1801 and also a banker...
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
I dont think Omar is her Father.
Her Mother may have just Married him and been Widowed herself
The M/C might help sort this out a little and then we may find Ann 1818's Fathers name and then her Christening hopefully.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hillwalkersue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hillwalkersue
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
Nice to see that the plumber genes came right through!!

Sue
Chetwood, Beard, Hornblower, Gwynn, Follows, Stilgo, Shenton, Stride, Gorton, Frodsham, Harrison,  Seagrief

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 15:09 BST (UK) »

At this point in time, I think I'm fairly secure in saying that GG Grannie put it about a bit...

Cati

possibly not the only gene that came through!!

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Now the family secrets are coming out  ;) ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 April 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
I've just received the certified copy Marriage Cert from GRO, which raises yet more questions:  any thoughts/input gratefully received!

Marriage at Register Office in the township of Marston in the County of Staffordshire

20th October 1837

William Henry Dominy of full age, widower, Surgeon. Residence Tenter Banks, Stafford. Father Henry Dominy, Surveyor

Ann Murray of full age, single.  Residence Tenter Banks, Stafford. Father Homer Hall, Banker.

Married in the Register Office according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Parties by Certificate.

Now, I know I've read something either yesterday ot today on Rootschat about marriages by certificate, and I can't find the thread...

So... it looks to me as if Ann was illegitimate: and Ann Hall/Murray/Dominy/Cox are one and the same person.  And I can't find Joseph's first marriage....

Why didn't I just stick to Mum's line??  ??? ???

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 April 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
A quick search of RootsChat produced this:

Banns and licence apply to marriage in a church.  The equivalent for a registry office is a certification that the intent to marry has been posted on the notice board for the required period and no objections have been received.

At least the marriage cert makes it clear that Ann Murray/Hall is the same person, and that she married (successively) Wlliam Henry Dominy and Joseph Cox.

It's interesting that she names Omar/Homer Hall as her father on both her marriage certs - was he her biological father, or was she just close to her step-father?  No way of knowing, I guess!

I'll have another hunt for Joseph's first marriage, although I wonder whether "widower" was a mistake, or just a polite fiction to explain why there were already children with the surname Cox when he and Ann married in 1866?
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk