Author Topic: "A Skeleton in the Cupboard"  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: "A Skeleton in the Cupboard"
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
I know the  pub that was the Star where the trial took place.The upper floors were once used as a courtroom for the Bedminster district.Allegedly a former landlord once kept a tiger in a cage out the back for the amusement of the customers.Once they tired of it he upped the ante by getting in the cage where it killed and ate some of him.
The gate house of the gaol from where this chap was hung still exists,the rest was detroyed in the Bristol Riots in the 1800's.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 May 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting yet macabre story. I've got to admit I just don't get the full on funeral with black coffin, mourners and all the 'trimmings' after 190 years - a burial certainly, but not such a 'showy' event.  :-\ Just my opinion.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Tis indeed Ruskie,and after all he did kill someone.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
I agree Ruskie.  

I also feel the need to say that the sentence was all wrong.  Clearly "the victim" died after the intervention of the surgeon and not as a direct result of the blow from the stone.  I would also question the charge of murder which suggests premeditation, manslaughter would surely have been more appropriate.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
They were hanging people for less serious crimes then fifer.I went to look round the old gaol in Bodmin a few weeks ago and they had a list of people and why they were hung.One 20 year old girl copped it for setting fire to a haystack.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Shades of the Victorian love of funerals and ceremony methinks.  ;)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 May 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean but ........... a small injury and surviving several days, then the surgeon bores a hole in her skull from which she develops an abscess which kills her.  Seems to me the surgeon/doctor were in cahoots and maybe short of a body or two to practise on!  :P 

Poor young lad suffered a horrendous death so a couple of quacks with sadistic tendencies could practise medicine, there were lots of ways of "body snatching" and doctors were in the thick of illegality of it.

I made a solemn promise to my gran that when she died I would collect her ashes (cremated 1976) and her late husband's (cremated 1930) and scatter them where their first cottage had stood.  I did, but not till my mum was very very ill and I had authority to do so in 2001.  So it was something I had to do because of a familial promise made.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman