Author Topic: Phillips, Weavers, Llanboidy  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phillips, Weavers, Llanboidy
« on: Wednesday 13 April 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
Phillips Family - Weavers
From Efailwen to Whitland Vol 1

There was a factory on the Taf near the station. A little over a mile to the east on a tributary of the Taf, and apparently previous to the Login one, was Lanafon, a home from which emerged two eminent men. In the middle of the 19th century, and fairly near to the latter factory, the name Clundedwydd appears as a centre of activity. There Enoc Phillips plied his craft as weaver. Several of his sons worked as weavers in Llanddewi, Amroth and Narberth.

I would be interested to know more about this Phillips family if anyone can help. Just outside the village of Llanteg, in Amroth parish, we have found on the 1871 census:-
Longlane - William Phillips, born Llanboidy (aged 72)
and next door
Watergoch - Enock Phillips, born Llanboidy (aged 74) classed as weaver when he married in 1836.

The 1851 census had:-
Long Lane - Joseph Phillips, 28, weaver, born Ciffig
Factory - William Phillips, 51, born Llanboidy

1841 census:-
Longlane - Enoch Phillips, 40, clothier - not born in Pembrokeshire.

I am in contact with a lady from USA who is a descendant and we woud be interested to know where the mill was in Llanboidy or any other information.  I have failed to find the property or place called Clundedwydd.

As well as Llanteg/Amroth other descendants went to a mill in Llanddowror - but thats another story!