Author Topic: James Melrose born 1888  (Read 1430 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Melrose born 1888
« on: Friday 15 April 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
James Melrose born 1888 in Edinburgh.  Parents Eliza Forsyth and Alexander Melrose.  He is not on the 1901 census with his family but appears to be recorded on the 1901 census age 12  in the Leith Industrial School, Leith, Edinburgh.   From 1901 I can find no trace of him.  Have searched the deaths on SPeople.  I have records of all his siblings but have lost sight of him.
On the family 1911 census he is not listed and his  widowed mother by this time married a Frank Grigor and had 2 more children.

Is it possible that he could have been sent abroad from the school? Does anyone know at what age pupils left these schools.  Any help or advice  very welcome.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Melrose born 1888
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 11 00:29 BST (UK) »
There is a James Melrose, 22, born Edinburgh, recorded in the 1911 Census (Overseas Military) shown as a Private serving with the 2nd Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), at Sialkot in the Punjab. (1911 Census for England and Wales Ref RG14, Piece 34987, Reference:
RG14PN34987 RD641 SD12 ED4 SN9999)

There is also a casualty listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, a James Melrose who was serving (Service no. 599) as a Corporal with the 2nd Bn., Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) and fell in action on 9 May 1915. His body was never found and he is one of the many like him whose names are recorded on the Le Touret Memorial, just outside the village of Le Touret in France. Unfortunately, his age is unknown and the CWGC have no details of his parents, so this James may or may not be yours. However, the Scottish National War Memorial (http://www.snwm.org) database shows him to have been born in Edinburgh so there might have been a note of his death in the Edinburgh Evening News at the time.

There was another James Melrose who served with the Black Watch and fell in the First World War (14 July 1916) but he was with the 1st Battalion, and, according to the Scottish National War Memorial website, he was from Ashkirk in Roxburghshire, so he's not yours. However, if the one listed above as being in the Punjab in 1911 served in the first World War he could well have been with another regiment by that time ... so  check against the CWGC (http://www.cwgc.org) and the Scottish National War Memorial websites (http://www.snwm.org/website/frames.html)

However, there was also listed in the 1911 Census for England and Wales a James Macpherson Melrose, aged 23 and born Edinburgh, apparently working as a clerk, who was enumerated as a boarder in West Kensington in Fulham (9 Gunterstone Road, West Kensington) RG14, Piece 304, Reference RG14PN304 RG78PN10 RD3 SD4 ED1 SN290

You will have to do some further background work to narrow your search ... One of these or none of these could be your James!

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 11 12:19 BST (UK) »
I am delighted with the information that you have sent.  I think it is very likely that James is the soldier who served in India and WW1 (service no. 599). I have still to confirm this though.  I have sent off an enquiry to The Black Watch Regimental Museum in Balhousie Castle Perthshire.  Through the National Archives I have sent off an email re Family History relating to India. All I need really from them is information on his parents.
I checked cwgc site but no further information given. Have tried to check emmigration too. 
Thank you very much for your help- really appreciate it.

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 15 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Just an update - I have been able to prove that Corporal James Melrose  no.599 is my ancestor.  I found confirmation on some army paper work showing authorised war gratuity payments to his mother Eliza Grigor.

Thanks again for your help