Author Topic: Bricklayer in London in 1800's  (Read 21831 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bricklayer in London in 1800's
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 April 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Incredible information Darren, Thank you so much.

I really like to think my 3x Great Grandad was involved in that sort of building.

I don't get to London very often but I'll look at Big Ben, The Houses of Parliament, The Royal Exchange and Trafalgar Square, with a totally different kind of respect from now on. An amazing thought :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 08:06 BST (UK) »
Places like the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, etc, would have been built more by stonemasons than bricklayers.  If you want to see the art of bricklayers in London, look towards the railways, houses, and smaller shops. 
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
Oh, OK Nick, I expect you're right there, but it's still interesting to imagine what London would have been like in 1820-1850 when all the historical buildings like those mentioned were under construction.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janetbournecarling

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
I just found this site while looking for information on bricklayers.  My 3rd great grandfather was at least a journeyman brick layer.  He did have others working for him.  In the 1841 census he lived in Ledbury and in 1851 he lived in Kings Norton.  In a family story it is said he and his sons build several homes on one street and that street was nicknamed Bourne's row.  Does anyone know anything about Bourne's row?

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet, welcome to Rootschat! 

Do you have any idea where Bourne's Row might be?  Does the family story say it's in London or could it be somewhere else?  There's a Bourne's Row and Bournesfield in Hoghton near Preston, Lancashire that Google maps found when I searched.  Bourne's Row is a terrace of houses that could be old enough to be the ones you're looking for.

Hope that helps, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline CndBrn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 October 20 06:11 BST (UK) »
  Hi, I found your story fascinating, to have that many generations of bricklayers. I have multiple generations as well, I'm also a Brick and Stone Mason.

I've seen a few old videos of Bricklayer/Masons back when they did it all, footings, foundations, from plumbing the toilets and sinks to roughing in windows/doors. They even did roofing, putting the shingles on. When complete, if called for they'd parge/render the building. They were the original Jack of all Trades 8)

I managed to find a pretty old video that gives you an idea of what was expected of the Masons'
https://youtu.be/oEL3K45yWUw

Here's a 354 year old short-story (Bricklayers' Parable) called "The 3 Bricklayers"

After the great fire of 1666 that leveled London, the world’s most famous architect was commissioned to rebuild St Paul’s Cathedral.

One day in 1671, Christopher Wren observed three bricklayers on a scaffold,
one crouched, one half-standing and one standing tall, working very hard and fast.

To the first bricklayer, Christopher Wren asked the question, “What are you doing?” to which the bricklayer replied, “I’m a bricklayer. I’m working hard laying bricks to feed my family.”

The second bricklayer, responded in a similar wat but slightly different, “I’m a builder. I’m putting up a wall.”

But the third brick layer, when asked the question, “What are you doing?” replied with pride in it’s voice, “I’m a cathedral builder. I’m building a great cathedral to The Almighty.”

Author of the Three Bricklayers: Unknown.