Author Topic: Thomas Powell, Diddlebury c1835  (Read 1066 times)

Offline pipj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Powell, Diddlebury c1835
« on: Saturday 23 April 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to find marriage details of Thomas Powell c1835. He had three children according to the 1871 census
Elizabeth 1863 Munslow
William    1866   "      "
Mary A     1870   "      "
Thomas died in 1871 June qtr Ludlow

His wife is also called Mary, but would like to know her maiden name. Her details are c1939 Munslow.
I think she maybe a Downs (es)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Powell, Diddlebury c1835
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 05 10:01 BST (UK) »
On Free BMD there is a Mary A Powell Birth Dec Quarter 1873, District Ludlow Volume 6a, page 553. 

Ludlow[/u]

Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in Shropshire, but included parts of Herefordshire.
Sub-districts : Cainham; Diddlebury; Leintwardine; Ludlow; Munslow.
GRO volumes : XVIII (1837-51); 6a (1852-1930).
Abdon, Ashford Bowdler, Ashford Carbonell, Bitterley, Bromfield, Caynham, Clee St. Margaret, Cold Weston, Culmington, Diddlebury, East Hamlet, Halford, Heath, Holdgate, Hope Bagot, Hopton Cangeford, Leintwardine North Side (1837-95), Ludford, Ludlow, Ludlow Castle, Munslow, Onibury, Richard's Castle, Stanton Lacy, Stoke St. Milborough, Stokesay, Tugford.
Registers now divided between Ludlow and Leominster districts.

You could order a copy of the birth certificate and if she is the *right one" you would know her mother's maiden name.

I did have a quick look on freeBMD for the Thomas and Mary marriage but couldn't find anything within the right time frame.  Please bear in mind that the FreeBMD is an ongoing project and, therefore, incomplete.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline pipj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
:)

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for your help.
My main problem is the mother Mary - I think she maybe a Downes but funnily enough
there were two Mary Downes born in 1839 both with the father called William (2 separate families) arn't I the lucky one trying to sort out.  I've also found to my cost that half the time the birth Certs only have father's details on.
I'll give it a bash anyway - I guess this time I could be lucky!!
Thanks again

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 05 11:45 BST (UK) »
Good luck Pipj!!

Let me know if she is your Mary :D

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand