Author Topic: Empingham parish records look up please  (Read 14065 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Empingham parish records look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
The information and c1796 is my estimate from the 1841 census, so knowing census I know it really is only an estimate as ages often change every ten years I have found...this is a new line for me so I don't have a great amount of detail on the King's, I have no knowledge of his parents/siblings

Thank you for the information so far and I hope someone can help

Regards
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:10 BST (UK) »
Just having a look at the Royce information I have...... William and Frances King could very well be the parents of 'my' Benjamin but based only on the naming procedures that the family used over the generations...its a clue but nothing more
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 January 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
A long time after your first post but I see no-one has given you any further information on Benjamin.
I have found his marriage to Mary Islip in Empingham 28/4/1822 by Licence (Mary was expecting Elizabeth so presumably a hasty marriage).
Their children all bp Empingham are:
Elizabeth 15/9/1822
Ann 26/9/1824
Fanny 15/3/1829
William 20/2/1831
Emily 9/7/1833
John Mar 1836
Mary 11/3/1837
Ellen 3/1/1838
Catherine 17/5/1840
It seems your assumption that Benjamin's parents may have been William and Francis is correct. He named two of his children after them.
Hope you can or have progressed with this family.
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 January 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forte

Thank you for taking the time to look and  post the information , it is much appreciated.

Mary was expecting Elizabeth so presumably a hasty marriage) Yes I think you are correct it is a VERY dysfunctional family ( which is one of the reasons it is so interesting to research) clearly clever, skilled  and creative people and full of multi marriages, bankruptcies, immigration  etc although that does give more opprtunity to find other records

I did  find the same as you have re: their marriage and many moons ago I sat in Wigston records office and for some reason have scribbled Benjamin King as a farmer in 1841 in Empingham ( by luck rather than research at that point in time just looking for 'Kings' in Empingham) along with given names of the children  but don't have access to the 1841 census now to check details of who was in the household at that time.

Since  it is the daughter Mary King I am working back from she is 24yrs on the 1851
( so should be 14 yrs in the 1841) which makes her 10 years older than the Mary in 1837 bap the date I think she was bap is 11 March but 1827
She married James Royce in 1852 in Woodham Ferrers, Essex
1861 32yrs Alwalton Northamptonshire
1871 42yrs 85, Frog Street,  Ickleton, Cambridgeshire
1872 James Royce her husband died in the 'poor house' in London ( while his yet to be famous young son, sold newspapers and delivered telegrams in Mayfair)
1881 52 yrs Worley in Bramley York visiting daughter Fanny
1891?
1901?
1904 she died( 1Q  Bucklow 8a 151) in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester ( which is where her son lived Frederick Henry Royce)

Thank you for John, Ellen and Catherine's bap dates I didn't have those and every little bit helps as it is so much easier to check a date in the PRs once I have the opportunity to do it and confirm it.

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 January 14 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Glad I could help.  I made a typing error for Mary's bp - it should be 11/3/1827 not 1837.
I think I have found her in 1891 and if this is correct also in 1901. You may recognise some of the family's surnames which would confirm.
1891 at Rose Cottage Uppingham Road Duddington Stamford Lincs:
Elizabeth Hudson wid H b 1826 Nth Luffenham (very nr to Empingham) Living on own means
Mary A Royce wid sister  b 1828 N Luff also living on own means
Henry H Norton nephew b 1886 Stamford
Eva Norton  niece b 1887 Stamford
Edith Clarke Serv

1901  North Luffenham
Everard King H widr b1837 N Luff Farmer
Mary A Royce sis  (?in-law) b1827 N Luff on own account
Albert King nephew b 1872 N Luff
Servant

As James Royce died bet 1871 and 1881 can't find anything more of him.

Other parish records for Empingham that I found may be of interest to you :
Martha Islip ma Nathaniel Lightfoot of Nottingham 22/12/1814 Banns
Maria Islip ma Wm Clarke 3/7/1815 Banns
Mary King ma John Alexander 25/9/1815 Banns

Wm King bu 30/7/1825 aged 80  b1745
Lucy Elizabeth Royce bu 2/2/1829  Inf
Ann King bu 18/2/1817 aged 71  b 1746.

The Kings seem to b e like the Hibbitts, all over the county.  My sister researches Hibbitts as our gt/gt/gm was a Hibbitt from Exton.

Hope this is of further help.
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 January 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forte.

I haven't in a while looked at these lines, so your information spurned my interest again....everyone  born in Exton it seems are related one way or another, hense why I like to research the branches,  I suppose with so many children that they had back then they married other local families or left the area.
 I don't think there is any surnames left on the Exton PRs that I haven't found in some way related, so yes Hibbitt's are in several of my branch lines, every though my direct ancestry goes back in Exton for several centuries ( with the exception of one or two blow in from other villages) the Hibbitt/Hybot/Hybit etc etc  haven't it seems to have made it into my direct lines.

This research is yet another branch line one of my direct line ancestry is Exton Royce's and I am learning so much by  researching their married partners lines as they all seem to feed back in...I am looking for offical proof of relationship which I can't find and it is a family story however this one is direct from the 'horses mouth' so to speak and there is 'written & photgraphic proof' as well as 'physical  proof' but no offical record proof so far and I don't feel 'safe' without offical record proof, so I will keep on looking, if it is there I will find it some day