Author Topic: Charles NELSON arrival in Qld Completed  (Read 6592 times)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles NELSON arrival in Qld Completed
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the arrival of Charles Nelson in Australia. His wife Agnes aged 23 and son Charles aged 2 years arrived on the ship Jumna on the 6th Feb 1888. They had a daughter Eleanor born on 4th March 1889 a son John Frederick in 1891 and a daughter Edith in 1892. Charles died in 1893 aged 37 years so he was born around 1856. I have found lots of information on Agnes after Charles's death but nothing about her before her arrival in Aust.

What I would like to find out is when did Charles arrive in Aust.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pauline

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles NELSON arrival in Qld
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 11 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have the d.c. for your Charles Nelson?  If he died in NSW it should state how long he had been in the colonies.  Of course that info is only as reliable as the informant's own knowledge, but as you have Charles aged 37 when he died in 1893, it may be worth checking that d.c.   Transcripts are a cheaper and quicker option to the actual d.c. 

Does the m.c. for Agnes and Charles give you his place of birth, or his parents names ... the names of his parents can be important when looking for NSW based families, particularly in the later decades of 19thC.    Where was his son Charles born ... would that b.c. give you any info about Charles birth place or then current location?

There is a registration INDEXED online for a death in 1893 of a Charles NELSON, registered in the Parramatta District ... ref 12070/1893.  The informant may not have known the given names for that chap's parents.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Charles died in 1893 aged 37 years so he was born around 1856
Pauline

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

Death in Qld
1893/C4593   
NELSON Charles      
Father John Nelson   Mother Helena - ** born Finland aged 37 years

Have you considered that he may have been ship's crew?

Have you any certificates at all?   Charles' death certificate should show their place of marriage and his time in Aus.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Cando I have now checked Qld ... I didn't notice that in the heading  oops !

I can see online index registration in Qld for 4 March 1889 for Eleanor Sarah NELSON, dau of Charles and Agnes (Needham)... so both Agnes and Charles would have needed to be in Qld together by mid 1888 .... how sure are you that the shipping records show a son Charles aged 2 with Agnes arriving Feb 1888 ... I am wondering if the list shows this lad as her son... perhaps it is her husband aged in his twenties ...  Eleanor's b.c. should show if she had older siblings.  And Charles 1893 d.c. should show all the children of the marriage with Agnes. 

tip, when using the date range, at the link that Cando has given you, once you know the year, then search limiting to one half of the year, then one quarter, then the month ... etc  not hard to then find the exact date.

I note that Frederick was registered as John Frederick.  I have not checked for his exact d o b ...    I have not checked for Charles exact d o d ... but these options are available at the Qld BDM free to search online index as linked above by Cando at #2..

Fingers crossed this helps ..

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
JM the shipping records are online at Qld Archives
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.asp
and only Charles Jnr and Agnes are listed as arriving on the JUMNA

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is their marriage in England...allowing for the spelling variation and Charles was b. Finland :)

Marriages Sep 1884 
NEEDHAM Agnes Emily M    Swansea 11a/1025    
NEILSON Charles     Swansea    11a/1025

Cheers
Cando

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 April 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Good find Cando for that possible marriage, that cert would show Charles then occupation. 

I am wondering if there's a transcription error on the index for the arrival of Agnes and Charles in Feb 1888 perhaps the 2 should be followed by a further number to then read twenty something ...   Reasoning :  I have not found Charles arrival into Qld to allow for a birth of a son in 1885/6 and then for Charles to arrive ahead of Agnes with their son.

Cheers,  JM

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 April 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando and JM,

Thank you both for your help. No Cando I do not have any certificates for Charles and Agnes. Agnes's second marriage was to Emile de Chastel in 1895 and his first wife Ann was my ancestor. I am just trying to sort out Agnes' past. I did find the marriage of Agnes Emily M Needham to Charles Neilson in Swansea. It was the only one that seemed to fit but on all the records in Qld she is only known as just Agnes. I have wondered if Charles was a sailor and arrived in Qld before Agnes and that is why there is no record of him as you suggested Cando.

Thank you both once again.

Pauline

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
Queensland Death
20 Feb 1949

Agnes CHASTEL

Father:    John NEEDHAM
Mother:    Sara WEBSTER
Page No:    367

This is the fourth event in the last week that I haven't been able to find on the Qld registry's online indexes - can anyone else find it?

There is an Agnes NEEDHAM with these parents on the 1871 census in Scotland and in 1881 they are in Cheshire.  Her father was a teacher (which is probably why they moved around a bit) and Agnes is a pupil teacher.  In 1891 John and Sarah are at Swansea.  Agnes was born c1864 at St Pancras, so perhaps the birth for Agnes Emily in 1863 is her.

Debra  :)