Author Topic: Charles NELSON arrival in Qld Completed  (Read 6586 times)

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles NELSON arrival in Qld
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Wow you have been busy. Thank you so much for finding all that information. I will now put the Emily M back in her name. I did not think to look at the Scottish Census but that all seems to fit.

The 1884 marriage to Charles Neilson looks correct at Swansea and there is a birth in 1886 at Swansea for son Charles Edward Nelson.

The De Chastel family are very had to find on the Qld BDM as their name has been wrongly spelt so many times and very little information is given on the index as to who the parents are. It is very frustrating. I have Emile's death certificate and it is full of information.

Agnes used her parents names John and Sarah in the first two children born in Qld so that all seems to tie in also.

Thank you so much again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Pauline

Offline alipal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles NELSON arrival in Qld Completed
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 April 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
I came across this site by chance in the hope that de Chastel would help me with my search.  My grandmother was Ellen Needham (b1871) - sister of Agnes Needham (b1864). Ellen also went to Australia. Their father was a school teacher who seemed to move about quite a bit (London, Aberdeen, Lancashire and finally Swansea).  There were three boys in the family (Angelo b1862, Ferdinand (aka John) b1865 and Louis b1866 and a third girl Edith b1875. Two of the boys seem to be difficult to track down - perhaps they also went to Australia?  It would be great if you could share any information.

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 May 11 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi alipal,

Lovely to hear from you. I am affraid I cannot help you with any information on Agnes's sisters and brothers. You are welcome to all the information I have on Agnes though. There is no mention of any brothers or sisters on Agnes's death notice in 1949 so if they were in Australia maybe they were not in Qld but then she did live to the ripe old age of 85 and may have out lived them.
Please lets know if I can be of any help. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Pauline

Offline alipal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 May 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pauline

Did you get my note about the records of Leo de Chastel and Agnes's begging letters? ( I'm not quite sure how this forum works).  Yes Ellen (or Helen or Sadie - I come from a family of name-changers) moved to Sydney sometime around 1901/02 and died in 1938.  My aunt was born in Mt Morgan in 1901.

alipal

Offline Cottontop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 March 12 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Charles Nelson left England in 1886 and came to Australia to prepare a home for Agnes and baby Charles not realizing that Charles would be walking by that time.  I have not been able to find his entry into Australia, but my mother is his granddaughter and so she has passed this information on to me knowing I am doing family history.  She believed he came over on one of the ships that carried one of the drill tops for the Mt. Morgan mine.

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cottontop,

I have added that to my records for Charles and Agnes. Another gap filled in.

Thank you once again.

Pauline

Offline misty44

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Just happened on this site researching data for old letters for John Frederick Nelson who died 1945 at Rosemount Repat Hospital Brisbane.
I am his grandson with the family descended from John and Helena Neilsen (John was a brewer in Finland) and on the other side back to John James Needham 1834 and Sarah Webster 1833. Charles Neilsen (Nelson) and Agnes Needham boarded at the same dwelling in Swansea. Charles Nelson was a ships engineer (a slight change of name from Neilsen) and so would have been on the crews list. Unfortunately the Nelson line in Qld Australia is slowly coming to an end but the name will continue in middle names. Let me know if I can help you further.
John

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 December 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Thank you for getting in touch. Isn't it amazing that there is always something others know that can be added to records. I did not know Sarah's maiden name was Webster or Charles Neilsen's occupation was Ships engineer or that he died at the Rosemount Repat Hospital in Brisbane. So thank you for that. Yes the Neilsen/Nelson name was very confusing at first but they were a very interesting family to research. Thank you once again for this added information.
Best Wishes for Christmas & the New Year.
Pauline