Author Topic: Elizabeth MOORE birth c. 1817 Rose Ash, Devon  (Read 5291 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Elizabeth MOORE birth c. 1817 Rose Ash, Devon
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I need some help, Elizabeth married John Chanter in South Australia in 1842, she must have been a widow as her name was BetseyParsons. Her children's birth certificates and death certificate show her as born in Devonshire, she is named as Elizabeth Chanter, late Parsons, nee Moore. No parents names are given.
She possibly married a Parsons in Devon before travelling to Australia, our South Australian records only go back to 1842, so I cannot find a death for him.
Can anyone find a birth at Rose Ash, or a marriage of Elizabeth Moore to Parsons please.

mum mum

Sorry, just modiefied this, had the years wrong.
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Online DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Moore birth c. 1817 Rose Ash, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 11 08:12 BST (UK) »
A James & Elizabeth MOOR(E) baptised a Mary MOOR at Rose Ash in 1794. 2.2 miles from Rose Ash is the parish of Bishop's Nympton, where a James & ELizabeth/Betty MOOR(E) baptised:
John 6 Mar 1796; James 4 Feb 1798; Elizabeth 3 Feb 1799; Ann 20 Feb 1803 and Thomas 3 Sep 1809.  Is ELizabeth 1799 too old for your Betty?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 11 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think that is too old to be her,. Her last child was born in 1857, her age was given as 43 in 1860 when she died. I'm guessing she may have put her age down a few years when she remarried but not by that much.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Online DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
In that case, the easiest  :) way to trace her birth is to obtain the Devon FHS baptism index for the surname MO*R* (to allow for spelling variants). It's very cheap and can be done online. This will cover nearly all MOORE baptisms 1813-1839 in Devon. She wasn't baptised at Rose Ash though as far as I can see from the IGI index. Go to http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/indexes.htm for details.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 11 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the link, I have asked for a quote as you suggested, will wait and see.
mum mum

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth MOORE birth c. 1817 Rose Ash, Devon
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 11 01:39 BST (UK) »
Just got the quote, for MO*R* Baptisms, 36 pound, so I might forget that line of enquiry, thanks anyway.
mum mum

Online DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 11 07:38 BST (UK) »
Try asking for a quote for M*RE and M*R - it should be chepaper - I forgot that you would also pick up names like MORELAND, MOREHOUSE etc by asking the other way. Cost should only be about £6.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks, I will ask for another quote, I also got some extra help from some Australian rootschatters and found an arrival in South Australia that I had missed.
Elizabeth could have arrived her in 1840 aboard the 'Java' with husband Richard Parsons and twins, husband and one of the twins died soon after.
So I am now looking for a marriage of Richard Parsons and Elizabeth Moore in Devon.

mum mum

Online DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 April 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Were the twins named Henry & James? If so, their birth was registered in Honiton district September qtr 1837 vol 10 page 102.
I've just looked at the Java 1840 passenger list http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840Java-PassengerLists.htm - this might be relevant:
Embark. No.3546 JOHN CHANTER
Applicant No.5255 19/06/39  Chanter, John
wife & child Chisholm, John;
John CHANTER, wife Ann (died soon after arrival),
son William Dennis