Author Topic: Elizabeth MOORE birth c. 1817 Rose Ash, Devon  (Read 5293 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth MOORE birth c. 1817 Rose Ash, Devon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 April 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

Here is what we found in Australia. Burials for a father and son - Both named Richard.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,527911.0.html

I thought with the deaths he seemed the likely husband for Elizabeth but I have had no joy from the Devon side. No luck with a marriage, nor can I find Richard with a twin brother to fit. I will have to check the application for free travel when I am next at the library to make sure both boys are aged 2 months and see if there is a residence listed.

I see William Dennis CHANTER was registered in Bideford. The travel applications are following numbers.

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 April 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
OK, now we're getting somewhere. A John & Frances CHANTER baptised a William CHANTER 24 Jan 1819 at Bideford, father a labourer. They also baptised John CHANTER at Littleham nr. Bideford 4 Jun 1815.
John CHANTER married Frances ANDREW at Bideford 21 March 1803.
Out of curiosity, why Mum Mum do you think Elizabeth was from Rose Ash?
Also noted - the PARSONS twins were described as 2 months old when they arrived in Feb 1840, so they must have been born during the voyage.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 April 11 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah,

Afraid not  :-[ The age was provided when they applied for free travel, not when they arrived in SA. William Dennis CHANTER appears in the Jun 1/14 1839 Bideford.  (He was one month old at time of application) I would expect these boys should have appeared then also. I will check the original in case one was 2 years not 2 months. It didn't actually say twins. That was the word I used. It said boy 2 months, boy 2 months. The original should give us an address from the application.

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 April 11 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks both of you for looking, the reason I have put rose Ash is because someone else has it in their family tree, not a good reason I know. Everything I have on her only mentions 'Devon' I am thinking that perhaps the South Australian marriage certificate has Rose Ash on it. I am quite willing to consider anwhere else in Devon though, I did find a marriage record on Ancestry for a Richard Parsons marriage in Bideford Devon in 1838, I could find no corresponding record for Elizabeth though. annoying because the Moore name is used throughout this woman's family with John Chanter but I can't pin down her parents or place of birth.
As you have seen John Chanter went on to marry again and found something of a dynasty in Victoria and NSW, his second marriage again using the wifes maiden name in the boys names.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline John Chanter

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 May 18 07:52 BST (UK) »
G'Day mum mum, Any breakthrough re the heritage of Elizabeth Moore (Parsons/Chanter). I am a descendent of Elizabeth Moore and John Chanter and am curious if there is any records or Elizabeth, Betsey etc birth, parents, marriage in Devon?

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
G'Day mum mum, Any breakthrough re the heritage of Elizabeth Moore (Parsons/Chanter). I am a descendent of Elizabeth Moore and John Chanter and am curious if there is any records or Elizabeth, Betsey etc birth, parents, marriage in Devon? Hi John, I have been meaning to contact you. I have wuite a bit of info on your family. If we can arange for you to visit the Granya Pioneer Museum I should be able to help you.
I have tried to contact you on Twitter but got no reply. @mckinj
Mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 03:57 BST (UK) »

Government Records Office

birth
PARSONS, Ephraim         mothers maiden name MOORE   
1839  Jan Quarter              in The Bideford Union   Volume 10 / Page 46 

PARSONS, Manasseh        mothers maiden name MOORE   
1839  Jan Quarter              in The Bideford Union   Volume 10 / Page 46