Author Topic: Coat of Arms.  (Read 20142 times)

Offline bstayton7

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry to revive an old thread but thought I could straighten out how "En Dieu Ma Foy" and "En Dieu est Ma Foy" come from.

Both are motto's of the Staunton family from as far back as 1000 AD.  However, En Dieu Ma Foy was used by the British branch of the Staunton family, and En Dieu est Ma Foy was used by the Irish branch also known as the Mac Evily or the Mac Evilly.  The dates you used make me think that most of both branches were already in the States at the time.  Part of the British line moved in the late 1600's and most of the Irish moved sometime between 1830 and 1850.  Both branches originate from the member of the Staunton family that aided William the Conqueror during the Norman Invasion.

Offline westdale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking James GOWER Maldon 1823 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 May 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
The attached is from the old Legh place at Lyme Park - a tile in the orangery,
The right (left as you look at it ) or male half of the shield is the description you gave ....
so this would represent a marriage  - and I haven't tracked down the wife's half.

Delanoy, Carter, Dalton in Cheshire; Simpson, Hoy and Gower(s) in Essex/London
Morgan St Davids, Liverpool and Anglesey; Williams Llangwstenin/Llandudno

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 May 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
According to Papworth's Ordinary of British Armorials, the wife's arms are those of Wodehouse/Woodhouse, Sable on a chevron or between three cinquefoils ermine gouttes de sang.