Author Topic: CROSS family of Tingewick, Bucks  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Michelle72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CROSS family of Tingewick, Bucks
« on: Sunday 24 April 05 06:19 BST (UK) »
My family history begins with the surname CROSS and basically it goes like this:

William CROSS b. 1737 Tingewick m. Phyllis HORWOOD b. 1740 married in 1763.  Phyllis was William's first wife, he later married Elizabeth SAVIN in 1770.
    |
Thomas CROSS b.1765 Tingewick m. Mary ALLEN.  Mary was Thomas' second wife, his first wife was Elizabeth HARVEY.
    |
Rebecca CROSS b. 1793.  Rebecca later married Josiah WATSON b. 1787 of Water Stratford.  We believe Rebecca was sent to Mursley to give birth to her illegitimate son Richard.  Rebecca and Josiah Watson lived in Water Stratford, their children emigrated to New Zealand.
    |
Richard CROSS b. 1813 Mursley, Bucks m. Susannah RICHARDS b. 1811 Mixbury, Oxon.  Richard was brought up by his grandparents Thomas and Mary CROSS and learnt his trade as a Stonemason just like his uncles.  He possibly never knew that Rebecca was his mother as some of the godparents to Richard and Susannah's children were Josiah WATSON and Rebecca WHATSON.
    |
George CROSS b. 1842 Tingewick, Bucks m.  Jane BUTCHER b. 1841. George's occupation was a Stonemason.
    |
Richard Thomas CROSS b. 1877 Tingewick, Bucks m. Maria Wilkin-BRAMWELL b. 1881 in Killochan Castle, Ayr, Scotland.  They married on 14 November 1905, two days later they sailed on the steamship Athenic to Wellington, New Zealand.  According to the Wellington Evening Post on 28 December 1905, the Athenic left Plymouth on 18 November 1905 via Cape Town and Hobart and arrived in Wellington on 1st January 1906.  I don't know how long they stayed there for but their children were born in England (1st born in 1907) so they returned to England.   In May 1912 Richard Cross sailed on the Suevic for Newcastle, NSW, Australia. His grandfather Richard gave a large sum of money to some of his grandchildren and told them to go and better themselves.  I'm not sure why the whole family did not sail together but the Titanic had only sunk the month before.  Maria and their two children followed in April 1913 on the steamship Medic.  Maria's died in Newcastle, NSW in 1916, Richard together with his two young children left Australia and sailed to Illinois, USA to stay with Maria's sister, Alice who had married a wealthy oilman.  They were childless and offered to take in Richard's two young children but he didn't like this idea and left to return back to the UK.  Richard later re-married Gertrude Annie SYKES in 1925 and resided in New Bradwell, Bucks.
    |
Robert George Bramwell CROSS b. 1911, Abertillery, Wales m. Evelyn Lorraine READ b.  1914.   This was my grandad and I wished I had found out more about him.  When he told me he had been to Australia, I thought he was kidding!  It wasn't until his death in 1999 and we were going through his possessions and came across his fathers address book, in here were lots of addresses from all over the world including some in Australia.  I remember him saying that he went to school in America and got bullied there for being English and then when he went to England, he got bullied there for being a Yank - poor thing!

My current projects I am working on are finding out the following:

What was Richard and Maria CROSS doing in Fenny Stratford in 1907 when they had their first born Clara CROSS?  Recent findings is that Clara did not have a birth certificate, was she really born in New Zealand?

What was Richard and Maria CROSS doing in Abertillery, Wales in 1911?

Why did Richard and Maria go to New Zealand and Australia?

Michelle White (nee Cross)
Adelaide, South Australia
BRAMWELL - Ayr, Scotland
BUTCHER - Tingewick, Bucks, Eng
CROSS - Tingewick Bucks Eng - Wellington NZ - Hamilton NSW Aus, Illinois USA - Bucks Eng
DANDO - Cameley, Somerset
FRENCH - Nash, Bucks
HAMBLETON - Alstonfield, Staffs, Eng
HENSHAW - Rocester, Staffs, Eng
HURST - Bucks
JONES - Cwmavon, Glam, Wales
PARKER - Denstone, Staffs, Eng
READ - Stony Stratford, Bucks, Eng
RICHARDS - Mixbury, Oxon, Eng
RIDGWAY - Akeley, Bucks, Eng
WHITE - Steppingley, Beds, Eng
WILKINS - Cameley, Somerse

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CROSS family of Tingewick, Bucks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 05 09:12 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Michelle,
                         My family line of NORRIS is from Tingewick.
               I shall go through my records to see if your family/ies are in there.

:D Lesanne :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Ann Lewis Norby

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 06 23:32 BST (UK) »
My name is Ann Lewis Norby and my great grandfather came over through Ellis with brothers.  The family bible has long ago disappeared but the story is my great grandfather, and at least one brother stayed in NJ and changed their last name to Lykes.  The other brothers went south and ended up in Florida with the name of Sykes.  My grandfater was Harold Milton Lykes.  My mother tells me my great grand dad was a Scotsman with firey red hair, short-tempered and tight with money.  That is all I know.  Any one have any history that may be helpful.

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 06 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann,
  Very warm welcome to Rootschat. Everyone is really helpful here.
  We try our best to search out rellies, help each other with what info and resources we each have. 

Your post here is on the Buckinghamshire board. Is this where you think they started out from?
Once you find your way around this site, you might get more response from a more general board and also the Scottish section. Then there is the Emigrants board.
Also have you tried Scotspeople site. 

Happy hunting.  Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Michelle72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 07 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesanne, sorry its taken a long time to respond to your message.

Yes I have traced the CROSS family back to the village of Tingewick in Buckinghamshire, England.  They were stonemasons and built many of the houses in the area.  You can see their distinct brickwork in the village with the "flemish" design.  One of the CROSS'es "John" Cross went to Tasmania, Australia and on a visit there a few years ago, I found lots of Cross built houses as they were exactly the same houses as "back home".

After my great grandfather finished his travels, he settled in New Bradwell/Stony Stratford, Bucks.
BRAMWELL - Ayr, Scotland
CROSS - Tingewick Bucks Eng - Wellington NZ - Hamilton NSW Aus, Illinois USA - Bucks Eng
FRENCH - Nash, Bucks
HURST - Bucks

Offline jk58

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • My gt grandparents Edward Kerry and Jane Hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 07 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all

My gt gt grandfather was a William Cross who lived in Buckingham. He was born around 1788.
Censuses describe him as a soldier or Bucks Militia, but the reason I think there may be a connection is that his daughter Anstiss married a man called Israel Stanley who was son of a builder (James Stanley) and many of my connected families from Buckingham/Maids Moreton and so on are given as masons or builders. I wonder if he might be another son of Thomas cross and Mary Allen. Any ideas?
Kerry, Hunt, Hudson, Broadis, Bellinger,Clack, Shingleton  - Oxon
Oakes - Suffolk
Print, Sale, Mutton, Baker, Harwood, Bonner  - Warwickshire
Pinfold, Maling  -  Northants
Hazell, Pool, Hollis - Berks
Cripps, Evans, Castle, Cox, Lepper, Tack, Veary, Rolfe, Cross, Stanley, Eggleton, Addams, Wakley/Wakely, Stratford  - Bucks

Offline Tezz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 November 07 12:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a website dedicated to the village of Tindgewick with a very helpful and knowledgable web master.

I will find the link and post it here

Hope it helps

Tezz

Offline Michelle72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have contributed to this website, this is the link:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tingewick/index.htm
BRAMWELL - Ayr, Scotland
FRENCH - Nash, Bucks
HURST - Bucks

Offline Phoenixf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear Michelle,

I have just been to Tingewick looking for my gg Grandmother, and I found her!

My Grandmother's first names are Amy Cross and I always thought that the Cross might be a surname. When we entered Tingewick, the first road we found was Cross Lane, which gave me the inspiration to search for Nana's grandmother Kitty using the Cross Surname, (We knew Kitty had been born in Tingewick) and she was there, so I can tell you that we are related. Kitty ( Catherine ) is the daughter of Thomas Cross (b1793 ) and his wife Frances Bellam. Thomas' parents are Thomas ( b 1765) and Mary Allen, which I believe are in your tree.

I am a New Zealander, but am travelling at the moment. Would love to share information with you,

Regards,
Robyn