Author Topic: Mystery Bitchenor on the "City of Rome."  (Read 7442 times)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Bitchenor on the "City of Rome."
« on: Monday 18 April 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
There's a man called "Frans Bitchenor" on the passenger roster for the 'City of Rome' which sailed for New York May 1st, 1885, age is said to be 22 years. Frans is obviously incorrect so I've spent the last couple of days trying to narrow down who it could possibly be. There's a definite connection with Thomas Bitchenor (1855), son of Richard, and his wife Holtimira Bitchenor (1852) both born in Cranfield, who sailed in November of 1880 on the "Algeria" along with her widowed mother Susan Hailey and siblings Christopher and Winefred. She is incorrectly listed as male in the ship's records with the name Haltemar.

I'm wondering if you could search for the most likely person, John Bitchenor (Thomas' nephew) born 1864, in Cranfield Bedfordshire who lived on the same street as Haileys in the villlage. I can't find John on the census after 1871 when he was living with his widowed father Alfred and 2 sisters in Cranfield. In 1881 I found only sister Elizabeth (14) living with her grandfather, Richard. Perhaps Alfred died and John was in lodging.

I'm not finding death or marriage records for John. I'm curious where he might have been for the 1881 census 4 years before emigrating. Phonetic spelling may help because the problem with Bitchenor is that various Cranfield members of the same extended family spelt it inconsistently in the 19th Century so it might be bichener, bitchenor, bitchener or Bichner and Bitchann.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Bitchenor on the "City of Rome."
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Does the entry give any details of where he is from?

If you use the LDS website to search the 1881 census - it automatically uses "sounds like" searches

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the LDS suggestion about phonetics. I'm still new at doing this. John Bitchenor (Bichener) was born in Cranfield Bedfordshire. I lose track of him after the 1871 census when he's aged 6 living in Cranfield with his widowed father, Alfred.

Based on a process of illimination. John seems to be the only Cranfield Bitchenor with a birthday in the correct place to fit the 22 year old on the ship that sailed in 1885. It's within a year of what's on the ship's record. His Uncle Thomas had left Cranfield 5 years earlier so it seems less likely that it's one of the children of the Biddenham or Kempston Bitchenors even though 2 generations back they were all one family.

I looked for a marriage or death record in the UK for John but didn't come across one. I just want to make doubly sure I've settled on the right person.
Thanks again for helping.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 11 23:43 BST (UK) »
Does the shipping entry give any details of where he originates from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 00:30 BST (UK) »
The shipping entry says only England.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 06:23 BST (UK) »
Frans is obviously incorrect .........There's a definite connection with Thomas Bitchenor (1855), son of Richard, and his wife Holtimira Bitchenor (1852) both born in Cranfield, who sailed in November of 1880.........   

Why is Frans "obviously incorrect"? How have you established the "definite connection" between Frans and Thomas Bitchenor?

Have you found Frans and Thomas in US censuses? If they were living together in the US, or even in the same town,  then I would agree there would appear to be a connection. If not it's just supposition

Where was Elizabeth age 14 living in 1881? I can't find her. The only Richard I can see was age 75 in Ampthill Union Workhouse. It's odd that the whole family seems to disappear off the radar screen after 1871. Did they all emigrate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
Whilst the 1871 census says the children were born in Cranfield, Alfred and Mary Ann Bitchener baptised two children, John and Elizabeth, in Stagsden Beds, which I believe is where Mary Ann was from. An online tree on Ancestry shows that John married in 1887 in New Zealand, where he was later an MP and cabinet minister (see Wikipedia entry)

Another online tree shows Alfred as being buried in New Zealand in 1918. Possibly the whole family emigrated. Whether direct or via the US remains to be found.

See http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc03Cycl-t1-body1-d7-d21-d3.html for a photo of Alfred and a biography. He emigrated in 1875 but it's not clear that his children accompanied him. His death announcement is at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh/1870-1908/1918.January.Christchurch.PRESS.Snippets.html
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the New Zealand explanation for Albert and son John and the photo from Christchurch. So now I have to look elsewhere for the man named "Frans". The first step I took was to look for Frans or Francis Bitchenor in the UK census and no one came up at all, births and deaths also. That's why I concluded that the first name was wrong on the ship's record of passengers.

I'm afraid my skill level at doing this is starting to show so I'm getting some side by side help today from someone who is very familiar with looking into American records: arrivals and census etc. I'll be looking for Thomas and Holtimira and their family that sailed in 1880, "Frans" of 1885, (there must be an arrival name for him to enter the U.S.) Also Amos Bitchenor (Thomas' nephew and Henry's youngest son) who sailed for New York on the "Baltic" in 1908. I'll let you know what I find and I appreciate your help.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
In 1910 living in Walworth Wisconsin was
Christopher Hailey 49 married 21 years b England both parents b England Immigrated 1880 Farmer
Christina Hailey wife 43 b Denmark both parents b Denmark 4 children, all living
Andrew Hailey son 19 b Wisconsin
Jessie Hailey dau 19 b Wisconsin
Alta Hailey dau 10 b Wisconsin (might she be named after Holtamira?)

Looks a good candidate for one of the 1880 party

David