Author Topic: (Jack Huxley) NSW death Elizabeth HUXLEY (nee PERKINS)  (Read 12312 times)

Offline macwillscohux

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please, NSW death Elizabeth HUXLEY (nee PERKINS)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn,
I should have said that I was local shouldnt I  :).

Train would have been the method and I actually remember the paper saying the Forbes football club paid for his board and train fare up and made mention that he was from Stanmore eg J. Huxley of Stanmore has been offered...to play at Forbes (Forbes Advocate). I may order a transcript to rule her out as that could be the case.

Im pretty certain he was from Sydney originally as he played with the Marickville juniors before making his way up the grades at Newtown. He and another player travelled to Forbes as paid players as, in those days, there was as much money in the bush as the city.
He returned to the city in 1941 to play for Wests.

The story in the paper on his marriage said that he was the son of the late Mr and Mrs T Huxley which indicates they were dead by 1939, but an earlier story (in 1934) "his shoulder injury has robbed him of a trip home to visit mother and partake in the city v country fixture" (Forbes Advocate 1934) as he missed out on a spot in the country team.

I really appreciate evryones help with this. He was a lovely man and I'd like to learn more about him and for my mother and aunty's sake as well.

Mac
Williamson, Moran, Boles, Mclachlan, Huxley

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 April 11 03:28 BST (UK) »
Mac, and all

Would you please check the Forbes Advocate re his marriage .... does it say where Mr & Mrs T Huxley were late of ... or just that they are deceased ...

Anyways, re Jack's parents ...  here's my thoughts

Could these be the INDEX registrations for deaths of his parents.....   Eliza HUXLEY with parents recorded as John and Ann, registered Marrickville district 1930 ref 18675 and Thomas HUXLEY with father recorded as Frederick William, registered at Redfern 1937 ref 6447 (Thomas was recorded as 77 years, and the death occurred at Little Bay, perhaps at the hospital there)......  From Electoral Rolls   1930 Thomas Huxley 109 Petersham Rd, Marrickville, no occupation     1936 John Lawson Huxley 109 Petersham Rd Marrickville, no occupation
1936 Thomas Huxley 11 Francis St Marrickville, no occupation       1936 Jack Huxley 8 Despointes St Marrickville a Clerk BUT also same address Catherine Imelda Huxley at home duties and theres a NSW BDM marriage indexed with Catherine being nee GRACE.     1937 Thomas Huxley, Cook Road, Marrickville (blank for occupation)  ........

Would it be likely that Jack Lindsay Huxley in 1936 had not yet enrolled to vote?  My late aunty born Jan 1912 is not found on the 1933 roll, nor the 1936 roll, but is found on 1937 roll.  .......

Would it be likely that Thomas Huxley and John Lawson Huxley were related same address but at different years in the 1930's ....?  Is there a clue in John Lawson Huxley’s initials (JLH same as Jack’s)

Cheers,  JM (still clunky, but can read black keyboard on Kindle reader in daylight and hoping this post has some paragraph indentations etc to help make it readable).
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 April 11 03:45 BST (UK) »
Also the 1934 article I read your extract, it seems Jack's mother lived in FORBES and thus he could not get back to Forbes to visit her because of his injury.   I could be mistooken.   Perhaps it was his Grandmother who lived in Forbes, or perhaps his birth mother....               Where was the city v country fixture in 1934 .... somewhere in Sydney so the RL could get a good gate return but where.... probably at Sydney Sports Ground, Moore Park, ...........    SO was Jack living in Forbes in 1934 and couldn't get to Sydney OR was he living in Sydney and couldn't get to Forbes.   .... I recall noting a John Huxley as a labourer in 1937 at one of the hotels in Forbes.... typical employment for footballers in that era.... cellarman or barman etc ....                    Clunky JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline macwillscohux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 April 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
In the Forbes Advocate dated November 1939 it says 'the bridegroom is the only son of the late Mr and Mrs T. Huxley of Newtown'.

When he was injured in 1934 missing a trip 'home' to see mother, she wasnt living in Forbes - he was. The game was in Sydney but unsure of where it was played.
 Back then if you played in the country you were eligible for selection for country regardless if you were form the city. Today its known as city v country 'origin' because city invaribly flogged country for many years because of the player pool in the city. An interesting fact is that when he did play against city the country boys won which didnt happen very often.

He could well have been the John Huxley at the Hotel as the club would have paid his board and found him some work. I know that he was a very hard worker even until his death in 1985 (he died selling drinks from a wheelbarrow that he pushed around the oval at Manildra during a semi final- hard work for a 73 year old).

I have ordered a transcript for Elizabeth J Huxley who died at Lithgow in 1931 to see if he is on the record, although the time frame dosent match up.

Thanks for all the help, you are wonderful people!!!

Mac

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 11 04:31 BST (UK) »
Some information and some thoughts/questions

1917 Sands NSW Country Alpha Directory
B LINDSAY, chief draughtsman at the Lands Board, Forbes;      Noting that on 1903 Electoral Roll there’s a Benjamin Lindsay at Forbes, occupation Draughtsman, and a Violet May Lindsay of Sheriff St Forbes, at her domestic duties.  The Lands Office in Forbes may have been on corner of Sheriff St and Camp Street, facing Camp Street;   and : Noting that a Violet M Lindsay’s 1919 death is INDEXED as registered at Newtown, with parents given names noted as Thomas and Elizabeth.     

1925 Sands NSW Alpha 
(previously noted TR Huxley at Tempe, here’s some more entries that may be of interest)
Huxley Bros, General Store, Manildra;    G H Huxley, General Store, Molong;      A R Perkins, 21 Woodcourt St,Marrickville;        E J Perkins, 118 Petersham Rd, Marrickville;    Mrs Eliza Perkins,  14 Fisher St, Petersham;    Wm H Perkins, 66 Margaret St, Petersham

Do you know/suspect when / where Thomas Huxley married Elizabeth Perkins? 
Was Jack an only child?
Have you contacted the Registrar for Marrickville Juniors RL to see if their records go back to the Depression years and if there’s any clues there.... (And same for the old Newtown RL club).... 
When did Jack progress out of the Juniors into COLT competitions....  does that give indication of his then age? Do you know the origin of  “Lindsay” as his middle name? .... could it be a clue to a surname from earlier generation/s?

Cheers from Clunky JM who has NOT yet found any evidence that the late Mr and Mrs T Huxley were of Newtown....   sorry ....

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 11 04:57 BST (UK) »
Also, 1920 Sands Directory has a Thomas HUXLEY at Morts Rd, Mortdale ...  Would that have been within the Marrickville Juniors RL catchment area ....

Offline macwillscohux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 May 11 06:28 BST (UK) »
Im currently in contact with people involved at Newtown who may be able to help. I have since learned that he played at Marrickville United age 15 (c 1927)before progressing through the grades at Newtown. Im sure this would mean he lived in the Marrickville area at the time.

Also still waiting on a death transcript of his possible mother.

Sorry for my absence, was quite busy over Easter etc.

Many thanks

Mac

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 May 11 06:33 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed the year of birth was 1911 ... cause then you only need wait until 1 Jan 2012 to order the b.c. or a transcript of it....  Do you know the exact date for cut off for 15 and under etc.... under 16's etc  eg 1 October each year, or 1 July etc...

Cheers,  JM

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: (Jack Huxley) NSW death Elizabeth HUXLEY (nee PERKINS)
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Deaths & Burials at Manildra Cemetery:

HUXLEY Jack Lindsay age 73yrs d. 01/09/1985 

HUXLEY Mary Euphemia age 81yrs d. 23/10/1994