Author Topic: Captured in Crete WW2  (Read 11403 times)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captured in Crete WW2
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Long ago I worked with an "old sweat", a former regular soldier, a member of 1st Batt, Royal Tank Regiment pre-WW2. He fought on Crete and was taken POW. He was among those who were marched the whole length of the Balkans to Austria. The German Army did their best to protect them but more British soldiers were lost to attacks by the Partisans than ever they lost in the battle for Crete.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
To set the record straight, the paratroop drop by 7th Flieger Division (later 1st Parachute (Fallschirmjaeger) Division) was a near total disaster. British and Commonwealth troops were deployed in exactly the right places. The paratroops suffered about 50% casualties in the drop and subsequent fighting before the 5th Mountain (Gebirgsjaeger) Division was airlanded in to pull their chestnuts out of the fire.

Hitler forbade any further large scale paratroop drops.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Also to set the record straight, British troops were there in large numbers, not that I would want to differentiate between the Commonwealth forces who all had one objective, but let's keep to facts.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
We were on holiday in Crete in April and stayed in a small village near Stavromenos.  There is a war memorial there commemorating the 1941 Battle of Crete in memory of the New Zealand, Australian, British and Greek soldiers who gave their lives defending the island against the axis forces.  From the wording around the memorial, it would seem that there were only a few British men there and that the majority of the others were from New Zealand and Australia as well as Greek soldiers and locals.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 10:04 BST (UK) »
Rootschat tends to deal only with facts. I have chosen the following source because it is from New Zealand and not the UK:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2Cret-b4.html

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Imber - that's interesting as that shows the British far outweighed the other fighting personnel, yet the Stavromenos monument is definitely an Australian monument.  Perhaps it was just the fighting in that area that was predominantly Australian and New Zealand men.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 June 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest as it was Waterloo day yesterday, there's still a Prince Blucher von Wahlstadt. Pictured with the present Duke of Wellington and Charles Bonaparte. he even looks like his ancestor who was commander of the Prussian field army in 1813/14, Ligny and Waterloo 1815.

Three Blucher brothers were paratroop officers killed at Maleme Airfield in 1941. The fourth brother, who was in the Kriegsmarine was sent home to look after the family estate. He died in 1944 in a shooting accident. Assuming that he had children by then, perhaps the present Prince is his son. I haven't followed it up.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Alexis Penny Casdagli

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
For a full description of the first few days before the Forced Surrender by the Allied Forces on 1 June in Sphakia, Crete, and the subsequent march back to Maleme airport to be transported to camps in Germany, read A T Casdagli's war diary, 'Prouder Than Ever' published by Cylix Press and available exclusively from them at www.cylixpress.co.uk with 20% of the price of each book donated to the British Red Cross. Also read the Casdagli British Red Cross Blog posted by them last month at http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/uncategorized/2015/11/man-took-nazis-needle/ and also the two 'Prouder Than Ever' videos on YouTube. I hope this is helpful to you. I am the daughter of A T Casdagli and compiled of 'Prouder Than Ever' and will be making a short documentary in Crete in May and June of 2016 to mark 75th anniversary of the capture of those 6000 men, of whom my father was one.

Offline curtains400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 March 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
My father was captured on the island of Crete and sent to a Stalag camp in Germany. Please email me, I am very interested in this