Author Topic: Ann Ridgway birth certificate  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Satchelkid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Ridgway birth certificate
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Would be grateful if anyone can help me find the birth certificate of my great great grandmother Ann Ridgway.  She married Robert Davies in Manchester on 9 November 1863 – I have that cert and the family in 1871 census RG10/3801/42/14.  I have also found her death cert as Ann Davies in 1878.  I also have the birth certs of her 3 sons between 1872 – 1875, all in Toxteth Park, Liverpool.
From what I have I can deduce/know:
She was born around 1840 in Shropshire (probably Ightfield or thereabouts)
Her father Thomas Ridgway was a farmer

From this I believe I have found her and family in 1841/1851 censuses:
HO107/899/8
H0106/1996

They show her grandparents as Hugh and Ann Ridgway and various other siblings (regrettably, born on or before 1837 so harder to trace) and relations.  But no confirmation of her mum’s name so presumably her mum was dead.

I have sent for 2 birth certificates for Ann Ridgway, either one of which may be her – or not.  Hard to tell as neither certificate shows either the father’s name or the mother’s maiden name.  They are:
1838 Market Drayton Sept Vol 18 P109 – mother is Mary of Marchanby Hill
1840 Bollington, Macclesfield Union, June, Vol 19 P91, mother is Elizabeth of Hurdsfield

Any help gratefully received

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Ridgway birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
There are three for you to consider under the spelling Ann Ridgeway born in Shropshire in 1838,1839 and 1843 all in the Wem District of Shropshire.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Satchelkid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion.  Seems so obvious when you put it forward!  In fact when I first began this ancestry lark, I always spelt it Ridgeway, so that when I began to find docs on that branch and saw it NEVER had an 'E' in it, I became sort of blind to any other spelling, forgetting the golden rule of family history research (all together now) TRY OTHER SPELLINGS!!!!
  ::)
Thanks again.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Yes the spelling of these names in official records is all important!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk