Author Topic: david stevens Llanegryn  (Read 4374 times)

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
david stevens Llanegryn
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
trying to find my g/grandfather david owen stevens, b north wales c 1840

i have found on the 1841 census david stevens aged 18 days to anne stevens age 25 Llanegryn , seems no father. on his marraige cert to sarah evans 19th july 1873 dolgelly no fathers name, can someone please look-up his baptism in Llanegryn .

on the 1851 census i find a david stevens as a lodger age 9 receiving parochial relief living with william jones age 42  and wife ann age 40 and 2 younger children in talyllyn dolgelly. although there is a age gap between anne and ann could ann jone be his mother ?

with king thanks

kitman

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: david stevens Llanegryn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
This gent has been discussed before on Rootschat, but the person who was looking for him then thought he was born in Dolgellau in 1850.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,91939.0.html

At the time I replied that the only "Owen Stevens" that I could find baptised in 1850 was a Robert Owen Stevens illegitimate son of Ann Stevens.

There is also an on-line family tree

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/l/o/Owen-D-Glover/GENE1-0004.html

Which has David Owen Stevens born in 1847

As Stevens is such an uncommon name in Merionethshire in that period the confusion over his birth date seems strange. However if you have him in the 1841 Census it appears that you must have the right date.

North Wales BMD has a David Stevens born in the Barmouth registration area in 1840,

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/
there is also a Humphrey Owen Stevens (who might be a brother) born in 1838 in the Talyllyn area (Talyllyn would cover Llanegryn). Humphrey is on the 1841 Census in Llanegryn

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: david stevens Llanegryn
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks dollgellau for your reply, sorry for delay in replying but had magor computor problem.

Yes i am the same who posted before and who and who put on line research on family tree maker, although that was in 2000 when i first started researching and have not added to that since then.

Beging unable to get to aberystwyth i was hoping someone would confirm that he was born out of wedlock in Llanegryn BT’s. 

I have just looked at the humphrey owen stevens and family on the 1841 and as no mother present great possibilty of being his family?,  i found him on the 1851 census in talyllyn age 9 as a boarder receiving parish relief in the home of william jones and his wife ann.

any further guidance on this post would be gratfully received

kitman