Author Topic: Sligo, Aclare, Lislea, Knockbrack, Stonepark in SOUTH SLIGO areas  (Read 7112 times)

Offline cyberlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sligo, Aclare, Lislea, Knockbrack, Stonepark in SOUTH SLIGO areas
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Fellow Rootschat researchers,

I am researching my ancestors from a townland of Knockbrack and Stonepark, in County Sligo (south Sligo very close to the County Mayo border). Seeking any and all information, so please do not hesitate to post even a small scrap of information as I need help in breaking through a "brickwall" as the saying goes.....something must have been kept and either online or on paper in Sligo (either way is fine as I plan on going sometime this summer 2011).

I am trying to find WHO in my MURPHY ancestors made it through the Irish Famine (An Gorta Mor) years of 1845-1850 in South Sligo townlands of KNOCKBRACK and STONEPARK?

But I have so far only been able to make it researching online (all I can find, as well as Mormon LDS records) records of the mid-1880s, some 20+ years AFTER the famine.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any information or leads of ANY records pre-1880s to the 1850s for South Sligo, Ireland ---- my ancestors Surname is MURPHY and O'HARA families, which several were there but only one MURPHY record of the surname seems to exist prior to that and I am unable to confirm/deny if it was mine. As for O'HARA's many exist but again making a link to my ancestors is not been possible, so I am posting here hoping some new (err, old) records have been located since I was here in 2009. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED !

Any records someone might know of, I would appreciate a link or info for resources in Co. Sligo Ireland (as I am obviously keeping a list of research to do when there in person).

I am also trying to build a list of resources for family research in South Sligo, near the Co. Mayo Border Townlands of Knockbrack and Stonepark, Co. Sligo.

M
Ann Arbor, MICHIGAN--USA

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sligo, Aclare, Lislea, Knockbrack, Stonepark in SOUTH SLIGO areas
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
Assuming you've gone back as far as is possible with civil records, then the next step is to search parish records. If your Murphy and O'Hara ancestors were Catholic then the best place to start your search is in the National Library in Dublin, as they hold the available historic RC records on microfilm.

The Irish Times website has a map of the various RC parishes in Co. Sligo, which may help figure out which parishes you need. It also includes details of dates covered by the records.

see : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/sligorc.htm

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cyberlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
Shane,

Thanks so much -- have dug into it, will post if it is helpful, seems like new FREE web resources go up all the time but I am always looking for postings from people in the area, came from there, and the like as well.

I also have some great BUILDINGS in the area as Ireland has a web site with OLD BUILDINGS and it is great and also lists old ring forts, religious sites, druid type sites, ect....I will post its URL soon as I find it again,

as I just posted if any one has any new, or old, links to records please post them, it will be appreciated.

Attached is HEDGE SCHOOLS in Sligo (rich text)
and
Warriors run route which is up to Queen Mauves rockpile (grave) on the top of the Knocknarea (*not properly spelled). Anything like this is they type of info I am interested in on top of ancestry info....

SLAINTE!, ::)

Murphy_ (cyberlaw_

Offline cyberlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SOUTH Sligo -- Aclare, Lislea, Knockbrack, Stonepark areas, 1911, 1925....
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear All, and Shane,

Do searching on the Murphys in Sligo -- I would love to do more research on this Sept. and the ancient basis for them. We all (should) know this is the most common surname in Ireland which makes things really hard -- kinda like Jones or Adams in the US...

Its 2013 and trying to revisit posts of the past -- things change and more is online.

Shane-Thanks again for the post, if you have any further links or information please do post it.

I have done all the research for Years = 1901 and 1911 Census, Griffiths, Tithe, and the 1759 Census is interesting as many Murphy in it, so must have had ancestors in the South Sligo area for many Centuries -- wondering How they made it through Cromwell, as I think He put alot of people and His Soldiers in Sligo ---

I have seen many greal online resources come on line, free is good. Pay is not. Not much luck with the deep deep research -- would love to read 1911, and 1900 Papers from the Area but I cannot find them and if they charge I would not pay I would wait.

Murphy Ancestors are listed in Church Records, as I have the Church records of Tourlestrane, RC the Parish of the time (a new Church closer Holy Rosary came online in the 1920s).
Problem is with the Church Records, so many of the same Christian Name Murphy's are listed -- and I have are hard time, with the same names (Michael) and few Middle Names noted,  to determine who is who -- who is Dad, Son, Brother, Cousin, ect. ages help but within a few years little Helps.
Any Ideas?

Also I cannot determine if Houses listed in the Census 1901 and 1911 maps are the same (and if they exist).

Also are Griffith's Maps the Same too (House No 2) and are they the Same then,  as of now as the Same land and area is still in the Family (who do not know much more than I).
- for instance, the Census 1901 says "House No 2" in Knockbrack, Co. Sligo *South Sligo outside Aclare, near Mayo Border.
I have asked in Gov. websites like the ValOffice, if the maps used at the Time are available (and where are these cancelled books) and if the 1901 and 1911 Census maps were the same?

Does anyone know?

Can you point to better sources (I have found I sometimes trust my fellow researchers advice than other "Gov. people" -sorry just the way it is experience sometimes is everything).

I do not accept "nothing more is out there" -if I lived in the area I would leave no stone  unturned and am making lists for the next trip, so if any locations of records is known please do not be shy, post away........also the Ancestry Sligo Chat board is active at times too..(esp. now I would think in March)

I am trying to locate rent rolls, Lease records, and the like property records -- if  anyone knows of these in South Sligo, please post?

If they are available as it would seem they would be private property.

Townlands of Knockbrack, Stonepark, SOUTH SLIGO NEAR THE MAYO (Killaser) BORDER -- on the other side of Aclare town is townlands of Lislea and Banada. This is an rural farm area then, and now.

The large property owners surely kept records of tenants so I hope they come online soon.....

I am also trying to locate if probate or death/inheritance records pre-free state (1921 before) and post free state (1921 after), would be

BUT it seems for the vast majority in rural Ireland, the Family just went on as it did in the day before a death and nothing really happened. As surely they were not able to pay for legal counsel.

Finally, is someone can tell me, if a LANDdispute happened in 1911, Where would the parties go?  Do not think any paid solicitors would be used, but if they were, WHERE. Sligo town is some 1 hr trip today by Car, so I doubt they went to Sligo Town....it would have took the entire day by Horse-maybe 2.....so some local mechanism must exist !!!!!

Was the Courts the only place to resolve serious land disputes?
Would the garada make the call --

If this was a dispute between Brothers who might have had equal right to inherit? This one has vexed me for sometimes as the lore says the Father died intestate -- the eldest Brother is my GF but was probably in Boston when the Dispute broke out (1925, not sure)......so two remaining Brothers in Ireland I am told fought legally over some 16 acres....where would this have been?

Did they make records and where would they be? I am pretty confident they did not hire Solictors, but might have (probably the winning brother).....

Just doing some preliminary research before my next trip over there this Summer 2013 for the gathering.....anyone know someone, or something, or links, it is ALL appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

M

Offline Ekimaraho

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 03:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi .........Very interested in your topic...............just started similar research recently. I understand your frustration with the lack or records and growing up there has not helped much.........people did not want to look back........too much pain and suffering. Who would blame them. That is why now it is important to create a link that people can post their family histories before its too late.  The Kilmactigue parish website has a great deal of info however they point out that individual townlands like Stonepark/Knockbrack need to have their own unique family histories researched and posted. 

Mike