Author Topic: Boat men Uxbridge Leicestershire  (Read 5440 times)

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boat men Uxbridge Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 September 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
conformation that George owned wide boats=
1903 wide boat "sister" formerly named Charles1925 wide boat "May " 1925 "Alice MAY"
 1929 wide boat "jim" previously "Western" reg @ Uxbridge.
     albert e Jones married Violet m Hallford @ Uxbridge 4th Quarter 1941 (can give you the ref if you want to order a cert )
Annie Lydia  Broadfeild was born in Tipton & married Henry orford (hallford) in 1889 in middlesex

Offline viddavid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello :)

Well George Halford was born in 1839 and I think he died in 1909. He married Priscilla Bishop around 1862- I think George's father was Thomas Halford but there has been a lot of dispute over George and Priscilla in regard to their parents and marriage date as there were so many name changes. (Alford/Hallford/Halford/Orford!) and also as Priscilla may have had her step-father's surname, Hulcup/Alcome..  ???

As for the Jones family, Albert was born in 1888 and he married Amy Hughes in 1916 and then my great grandmother, Violet Hallford in 1941. (Her father, Henry Hallford [George's son] worked with Albert on the canal I think).

I think Albert's father was William Jones, a brickmaker born around 1849 in West Drayton but it is here I have become stuck- both with the fact his name is Jones and also the nature of working on the canals and moving about.

Sorry for the confusing message, I haven't written this very clearly :S

Many thanks,

Tansy
Hello Tansy,
I know this is an old post but could you clarify something ? Is "George Halford b.1839" the same as "Henry Hallford [George's son]" George Hallford or are the names just a coincidence ?

The reason for asking is we have matching information re George Halford and Priscilla Bishop (Alcome) and their daughter Ann Lydia Hallford who had three brothers and two sisters but we haven't come across a "Henry".

Regards

David
ROBINS Richmond Birmingham Stafford UK Chicago Ill.USA.
TURNER London UK
GREENHALF London UK
McGIVERN Armagh, Castleblaney & Leitrim, Ireland
McHUGH Leitrim Ireland
TIMMIS Richmond Surrey Stafford
WILSON Letterkenny Ireland,Ayr Scotland
DNA R-FGC51610  K1a10a

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »

Well George Halford was born in 1839 and I think he died in 1909. He married Priscilla Bishop around 1862- I think George's father was Thomas Halford but there has been a lot of dispute over George and Priscilla in regard to their parents and marriage date as there were so many name changes. (Alford/Hallford/Halford/Orford!) and also as Priscilla may have had her step-father's surname, Hulcup/Alcome..  ???

As for the Jones family, Albert was born in 1888 and he married Amy Hughes in 1916 and then my great grandmother, Violet Hallford in 1941. (Her father, Henry Hallford [George's son] worked with Albert on the canal I think).

I think Albert's father was William Jones, a brickmaker born around 1849 in West Drayton but it is here I have become stuck- both with the fact his name is Jones and also the nature of working on the canals and moving about.

Many thanks,

Tansy
Hello Tansy,
I know this is an old post but could you clarify something ? Is "George Halford b.1839" the same as "Henry Hallford [George's son]" George Hallford or are the names just a coincidence ?

The reason for asking is we have matching information re George Halford and Priscilla Bishop (Alcome) and their daughter Ann Lydia Hallford who had three brothers and two sisters but we haven't come across a "Henry".

Regards

David

Many thanks,

Tansy
Hello Tansy,

Regards

David

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 January 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be some confusion & crossing over  between boatmen & brick workers .
 are you aware that the Canal runs along the side of Horton road also several companys along there used the canals for transporting goods including a large brick making factory I have traced some of my family who where boatmen there living in Horton Road but who also had family members who worked the brick factory .
Uxbridge comes under Middlesex as does west Drayton