Author Topic: Place in Poland?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline redclover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Place in Poland?
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a reference to the christening of Joseph Winiarski, 25th March 1888 in
PALATINATUS: RAESADA, DIST: PRZEMYSL, POLAND.

I know where Przemysl is, can anyone shed any light on what or where Palatinatus: Raesada is?

Thanks,

Richard.
Szalajko, Wasiewicz, Fedun, Jaworski, Winiarski - Bircza, Poland.  Gabbott, Holland, Hall, Morris, Darcy, Horrocks - Lancashire.

Offline Janboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Place in Poland?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Palatinatus is the latin form of Palatinate which is an area ruled over by a Count Palatine - who used to be a direct represative of the the King but that all got a bit blurred.  Not sure about Raesada - he may be the Count?
Valincius/Walinczius - Lithuania, Truscott - Cornwall + Widnes, Forster/Foster - Garston, Halewood + Widnes,  Heyes - Widnes, Fryer - Huyton +Widnes

Offline redclover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 11 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I agree on the definition of Palatinatus from the Latin. I wondered if the next term should read Raesada District or whether the two words are unconnected. I can't find any reference to a Raesada District on any of the current maps.

As that part of the country was very religious, I wondered if it was some sort of church or parochial phrase used to describe the christening. I gather that Latin was used in church records right up to the 20th century in Poland.

Thanks.

Richard.
Szalajko, Wasiewicz, Fedun, Jaworski, Winiarski - Bircza, Poland.  Gabbott, Holland, Hall, Morris, Darcy, Horrocks - Lancashire.

Offline Janboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
Ok on further research
Palatinatus - Province
Dist - Districtus - district - not necessarily diocese but could be.  So Raesada could now be defunct?
Janice
Valincius/Walinczius - Lithuania, Truscott - Cornwall + Widnes, Forster/Foster - Garston, Halewood + Widnes,  Heyes - Widnes, Fryer - Huyton +Widnes

Offline redclover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Thanks for that.

I am travelling to Poland, to Przemysl in four weeks time. I will make enquiries there and will post any information I find on this thread. It may be of interest to other researchers.

Richard.