Author Topic: FRANKLYN St Albans & Barnet  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FRANKLYN St Albans & Barnet
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Trying to find any information on my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather William Norris FRANKLYN (born 1800) who was a "big time" Solicitor in St Albans for many years.

In 1841 he had his 16 year old son Richard William FRANKLYN with him where would I find information on his career??

BARNET also trying to find burial of William Norris FRANKLYN , his brother James FRANKLYN, 2 young sons of William and wife Mary supposedly buried in Barnet Cemetery.............

All information really really appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: FRANKLYN St Albans & Barnet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
When did William die?  Have you checked freebmd for a death for him?

The 1841 shows both as not born Herts but there is this IGI entry

RICHARD WILLIAM FRANKLYN   Christening:  27 MAR 1826   Little Gaddesden, Hertford   Father:  WILLIAM NORRIS FRANKLYN    Mother:  MARY ANNE     

If you check freebmd - you will find a marriage for Richard in 1845

He married Hannah Carter on 9.7.1845 at St Pancras parish church Middlesex

Richard's occupation is shown as "gent" (gentleman) father William Norris Franklyn FARMER (not solicitor)

Hannah's father was David - deceased - no occupation shown

Witnesses Samuel James Blincome and Mary Wall
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 11 02:03 BST (UK) »
Baptism of Richard William Franklyn on 31.5.1846 at St Pancras - parents Richard William (gent) and Hannah

Arthur Coape Franklyn and William Norris Franklyn both baptised 16.8.1854 at Walham Green parents Richard William Franklyn wine merchant and Hannah.  14 Cambridge Villas Waterford Rd Walham Green Camden & Fulham

Births March qtr 1854   
Arthur Coape Franklyn    Kensington  1a 113

Births December qtr 1852   
William Norris Franklyn   Kensington  1a 99

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 11 03:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry your answers came to my old email - have just rectified that.  William Norris died 6 April 1882. thank you for the birth etc information we have all that we are just putting the final pages of a book together and the information I requested help with are the only things missing. In 1845 he would have been a Farmer as he was back living at Warnham Lodge, Sussex where he was born. Are the Barnet Cemetery on line? I am coming to UK in a couple of weeks and on 24th June have organised a visit to a friend in St Albans and my cousin in Melbourne writing the book asked if I could check out the information below.... I am trying to fast track time on my maybe 2 hour window by finding how to find the cemetery records for Barnet and wondered if the Library at St Albans would have any information on prominent people in the town back then.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Kelly's 1855 holds no information about a solicitor named Franklyn WN, nor variations.

Kelly's 1855 does hold confirmation of Franklyn WN in Warnham,Horsham.

If WNF(1800) was in (Chipping)Barnet High Street in 1841 and he had "moved back" to Warnham by 1845, what makes you think the words "big time solicitor in StAlbans for many years" is fitting?

FreeBMD holds this death
June(Q) 1882 Franklyn William Norris 81yrs Tunbridge 2a 342
and there is a will Hannah Louise .....................

BARNET also trying to find burial of William Norris FRANKLYN , his brother James FRANKLYN, 2 young sons of William and wife Mary supposedly buried in Barnet Cemetery.............

Are you saying that the two young sons of WNF(1800) are WNF and JF?
Do you have any other detail regarding these 2? DoB? DoD?

KR
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if this is any help but according to Family Search your William Norris Franklyn & Mary Ann had Charles Norris Franklyn baptised Elstree 16th April 1827 & Edmund baptised Chipping Barnet 23d June 1832.

I have records for both of these boys burials in St John The Baptist, Chipping Barnet. Charles Norris buried 22nd June 1835 aged 8 & Edmund buried 13th June 1835 aged 3.

It might be worth contacting St John The Baptist Chipping Barnet as they may be able to provide more info for you.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi - sorry it should have read 1867 not 1845 don't know where I got the 1845 from. William Norris FRANKLYN had a Brother James b Feb 1808 D Jun 1865 who is supposed to have been buried at Barnet Cemetery.

William's 2 young sons, James (no information to hand but requested it) who would have been born c 1830 and son Edmund b 1832 d c 1835 plus wife Mary died C 1885 are all according to our records buried in Barnet. I have been given the task of trying to find their graves.

The information about his Legal career is from family wills, bible and letters written amongst family members.

The birth of WNF dated 1852 noted above was actually the one of the sons of Richard William FRANKLYN (son of WNF) my GT Gt Grandfather. My Gt Grandfather was a Richard William FRANKLYN (JNR) who became a law clerk then solicitor in Melbourne.

Thank you Maddie obviously something going on in Jun 1835 to lose 2 sons - Just waiting on a reply regarding son James noted above. Excellent - thank you have found the website for the church (isn't technology great) and forwarded to my cousin. Now just to find information on WNF born 1800 and his legal career.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 April 11 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenda

In the back of my mind I seem to remember asking the same/similar question about "did something go on in Herts around 1835-37". We have a similar batch of deaths in a section of the family we are only just starting into.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 April 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

WNF(1800) is def in Sussex in 1851,
"Farmer of 270 acres employing 11 labourers"

1851 HO 107 1648 455 8, Sussex, Warnham, District 5b, Page 8 
"Northlands"

William N Franklyn 50 St Marylebone
Harriett L Franklyn Dau 22 Pentonville
Mary Ann Potter Serv 24 Horsham Sussex
Lucy Fairweather Serv 21 Framlingham Norfolk

So 1845 looks more like a possible move date, and not 1867?

Ray