Author Topic: RICKARDS  (Read 7018 times)

Offline KRick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICKARDS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Em
I can see that I am going to have to get some 'ancestry software' and put all my many bits of paper on to a proper outline, otherwise it will all get very confusing if I am not careful.  I have found bits and pieces from Births/Marriages/Deaths along the way, and have made leaps of deduction from ages etc as to when people married and had their children.  Glad to say that most of them have proved right eventually, but it is great to get your input and confirmation of things - like the two brothers buried in Baslow church.  I had nothing to connect them before your note. 
I did spend an hour or so looking round that churchyard a few years ago and could only find these two that are definite Rickards.  There are some Froggatts who married into the Rickards family and I have a bit more info on that side.
It is lovely to see that, from humble 'commoner' stock, the Rickards became churchmen, apothecaries, solicitors, aldermen and mayors.  We didn't do too bad, did we!  I have even found one of our 'ancestral' homes at Stonebroom.
By the way, have you ever gone on to the Commonwealth war graves site?  It is www.cwgc.org/search.  I found 23 Rickards, a couple of which might have tenuous links to my side of the family.  Worth a try for you too.
Kate

Offline erick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,
Thanks for the graves link, that looks interesting. I have also been looking at http://histfam.familysearch.org which I found very helpful (although there is the odd mistake in exact names). I agree, from a commoner it is surprising how quickly things changed - it is worth having a look at the Rickards-Mynors (and Baskerville) links here as things changed very unexpectedly for one line of the family and they suddenly gained a lot of estates very rapidly.

I believe the Froggatts married into your side of the family, though I only show one instance of this.

Em

Offline gypsiesroamin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 October 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
I am a RICKARDS....father was Walter Rickards, Mother Grace Susan Marie (French) Rickards, Sister Nita. Father born London circa 1920 Mother born London circa 1921. I was born 1948 (Hammersith), sister born 1943. Only know maternal grandmother's name = Sarah (Constable) French. My father did tell me years ago that we did have a relative that was some sort of official in Nottingham????
ANY help in tracing ancestry would be helpful. We left UK and went to Australia in 1952.