Author Topic: Bitchenor in Ireland  (Read 3638 times)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bitchenor in Ireland
« on: Thursday 21 April 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to track a branch of my English family that may have gone to Ireland as early as the 1640's. The spelling of the name is Bitchenor, but it can be spelled as bichiner, bichiner, bitchiner and sometimes beechiner etc.

I found Bitchenors in County Cork William James Beechiner was born at Buttevant, Cork in 1867 and a Francis Bitchener married Ann Peterson in the Diocese of Cork in 1834.

I'm wondering how I find more detail on the County Cork Bitchenors and also if the name shows up in any other counties of Ireland. I'd be interested to see how far back the name goes back in Ireland.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bitchenor in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
I have a work colleague who is BEECHINOR and they are also from Cork back to the early 1800s
Some listed on Irish Genealogy
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
This is just fascinating especially since your work colleague has such a similar name- unusual too. I'm so delighted to have an Irish branch to my family. I've only been doing this research for 3 weeks so my skill level isn't very high so if this is too obvious a question and I'm missing something where the Irish Geneology you speak of? I assume I just google Irish Geneology or am I missing it here on this board?

I would never have thought to look in Ireland if I hadn't been trying to track down a 'mystery passenger' who sailed out of Liverpool in 1885 to the USA. I never did find him in any record even with the help of experienced rootschat helpers. I was hunting for ... Frans Bitchenor... Frans must be a mistake but someone suggested I search Ireland and there they were, all those Bitchenor variations in County Cork.  I didn't find Frans but I found that Irish branch!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
sorry www.irishgenealogy.ie is a website of church records that covers some parts of the country It is a work in progress but it is a great online resources

If you look in Irish Resources you'll find great information

Also if you search the Griffiths Valuations - I had a quick look for variations of the name and there are about 30+ Beechinor, Beechiner in particular

As I am sure you are aware literacy problems led to formal documents being filled in phonetically by others; variations in spellings are the result!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Quite a few variations on the Bitchenor name including your work colleague. Small world. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction meaning to the Cork area where there seems to be a real cluster.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 11 00:15 BST (UK) »
no problem
I have hit a few brick walls with my own research recently as well as a few chanegs around the house; what I can remember I can't find and what I can find is getting me nowhere I need to get my files and paperwork in order and maybe I'll get back on track with my own family!
Further generations:

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 13 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - new to this forum and did a few searches on surnames in my tree.

If it helps I have a John J. Beechinor (1798-1858) and Ann Falvey (1810-1870) from Kunckskagh just outside Clonakilty emigrating to New York City in 1848. They had 11 children born in Ireland (only 8 baptisms so far back to 1834) and one more after arrival in the States who eventually went to San Francisco.

I have been in touch with someone else in County Cork who has Beechinor in their tree and we've tried to make the ancestral connection - so far unsuccessful but connected we must be.

Don't mind connecting with anyone looking at this surname.

Michael.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 March 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
if you go to Family search.org in the irish prison registers there are a robin and thomas bitchenor from  co cork listed there one born 1779.