Author Topic: Genealogy on Android smartphone  (Read 16074 times)

Offline mhg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy on Android smartphone
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 November 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that if you use any cloud print service, such as Google's, you will have to change your firewall to enable the service to access your PC (or IP-enabled printer) directly through your router.

Areas: Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland
Names: Brighton, Campkin, Gray, Marshall, Milne, Riordan, Robson, Smith, Sutterby, Teasel, Young

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 November 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
That is in the current Android magazine if I remember correctly. While I'm at it would a 32GB card fit? Mine is the HTC desire (original version ) too.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 06 November 11 18:23 GMT (UK) »
That is in the current Android magazine if I remember correctly. While I'm at it would a 32GB card fit? Mine is the HTC desire (original version ) too.

According to the Android forums 32Gb is the maximum however they appear to agree that the minimum spec should be a Class 6 card although Class 10 is preferable. Must admit though that I haven't tried anything bigger than 16 Gb myself.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Sounds as though I've got some technical reading to do!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
The classes refer to the minimum write speed of the cards

Class 2 is 2mb per second.
Class 4 is 4mb per second.
Class 6 is 6mb per second
Class 10 is 10mb per second

The higher the class the higher the price as the card is allegedly of a higher specification

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 November 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, a further question, does the quality vary between suppliers so that a top range Class 4 might be better than a lower range clas 6?

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 November 11 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Personally I've always gone for known brands ... The difficulty with the class system is that the classification is decided by the manufacturers not a standards body/association

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 07 November 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that if you use any cloud print service, such as Google's, you will have to change your firewall to enable the service to access your PC (or IP-enabled printer) directly through your router.

Google's service doesn't work that way.  You can only print through Google's service if you are signed up to Google, and if you're running the Google Chrome Browser.  You have to enable Google Cloud printing in the Google Chrome settings.

Another way of printing from your smartphone (or any other PC for that matter) is to buy one of the new printers which has its own email address.  The new HP ePrint printers have their own email addresses on HP's own servers, and will print a picture attached to an email.  These printers do not need a PC to do this, and because the pictures to be printed are in the form of email attachments, there is no need to alter your router settings.

At the moment Argos are selling the HP 5510 e-All-In-One Wireless-n/USB Printer/Copier/Scanner for £69.99, which is remarkable value.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk