Author Topic: John Cowin (c1802-1869) & Margaret Clague (c1808-c1884)  (Read 13399 times)

Offline Possum99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Cowin (c1802-1869) & Margaret Clague (c1808-c1884)
« on: Thursday 21 April 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hello from Downunder

I descend from Patrick Cowin (1755-1827) of Ballcannell, Lonan and Alice Clague and am part of the Australian branch of this large family. I am happy to share the copious Oz info that I have.

Current Problem: A Cowin family (see Subject for the early ones, they married 1825 at Braddan) moved to Mauritius and then split - one branch to South Africa, the other to South Australia. Research suggests this branch is also descended from Patrick Cowin but I cannot establish how. My Cowins/Clagues seem to have been strong around Braddan, Douglas and Lonan.

I am sure that if I knew the parents of both John and Margaret, it might solve the problem. Can any kind person out there help?

Cheers, Ross of Canberra
COWIN - Lonan, Isle of Man to Australia
HALL - Leek, Staffs and Cheshire to Austalia
LAMBERT - Cork, Ireland to Australia (Vic, SA and WA)
McGRATH - Nth Dublin Workhouse to South Australia
THOMAS - Arbroath, Scotland to Australia (SA and WA)
PALMER - Yorkshire to South Australia

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Cowin (c1802-1869) & Margaret Clague (c1808-c1884)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
borrow the film of Braddan parish marriages - if she was under 21 then the marriage should have been with consent - the witnesses + any additional notes might help
eta - a john cowin/cowen + margt clague had several ch in douglas - look very much as tho family in Wellington buildings (a slum area) in 1841 census with John a Mariner - and would still appear to be in douglas in 1851(at 4 great nelson st - john still a mariner + son norris a baker
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Possum99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Frances

I will get film - may take some time. When I DO get this family sorted I will post with the results.

Cheers, Ross

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

Since we were last in touch I've not found anything new. I've just joined Rootschat. When last researching, I seemed to find proof that your Philip was from Patrick's family, but was still stuck with the Mauritius branch. I think the only way to solve who these Cowins were, would be to consult the numerous wills in existence. I once noticed a message you posted on a forum, where you said you paid a visit to the IOM - did you look at any wills while you were there?

Regards,

Stephen

Offline Possum99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hello again Stephen

Yes, thanks to you, I am of the opinion that Philip came from that large Patrick Cowin mob. I think this John Cowin is also and am continuing research to get to the bottom of it all.

Isle of Man 2006 - my time there was so short and so enjoyable - not much real research done, I am afraid. At that time, I was not across the John Cowin problem so it would not have helped.

I plan to get the film covering the marriage of this couple and that may help. I will also look for the will of John or Margaret but anm not sure how to go about that. It might be on-line with any luck.

I will get in touch if I have any success.

Cheers, Ross

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

The Lawsons section of the IOMFHS site has a wills section, with a entire page devoted to Cowin. Very few have been transcribed and uploaded, and those that have are no use in proving who Philip was, or the Mauritius family. There is one for Patrick (1827, Braddan), Alice (1832, Lonan). My distant cousin in Australia was once a member of the FHS, and she sent me some correspondence from a member/researcher, but wills were never mentioned. She was sent a transcript (typed) of a will of Joseph (died 1888), but he turned out to be from another family. I had a look at the site, and it seems nothing new has been added since May of last year.

Best wishes,

Stephen

Offline Possum99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stephen - probably not much hope with wills then.

With regard to Margaret Clague, little of certainty could be found. She may have been the one baptized on 6 January 1808 at Ballaugh to a Norris Clague as the census of 1861 has her born at Ballaugh - but the census of 1881 has her as being born at Douglas. The name Norris has been much used in the Clague family and is thought to derive from a Rev William Norris, born 1627 at Marown, whose daughter Margaret married a James Clague. Could it be that Margaret descended from John Clague, a navigator of Douglas, who was taken prisoner by Algerine pirates and kept as a slave? He worked at a slave factory on the coast of Guinea (South America) and eventually returned home as captain of a Guineaman, a slave trading ship.

A kind researcher of the Isle of Man by the name of Jean provided what is the likely confirmation of the origins of our Margaret Clague. A Norris Clague married an Ealy (Alice/ Ely/ Ellais?) Kewley at Ballaugh (north-west of Lonan) on 17 January 1807. They had ten children, the early ones at Ballaugh and, from 1814, at Douglas.

Children of Norris Clague and Ealy Kewley
Name   Born/Bapt      
Margaret   6.1.1808 Ballaugh      ?married John Cowin?
William   31.12.1809 Ballaugh      
Easter (Esther?)   10.4.1814 Douglas      
Norris   8.3.1816 Douglas      
John   24.3.1818 Douglas      
Thomas   2.1.1820 Douglas      
Antony Kewley  20.1.1822 Douglas      
Alice    8.12.1824 Douglas      
Henry Edward  11.3.1827 Douglas      
Elizabeth   20.7.1828 Douglas      

Cheers, Ross

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 May 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

I found out most of that about the Clagues the other month, apart from the slave.

One lead I found is that two William Cowins were living at 4 Great Nelson Street the census after John (in 1861). One Cowin was a gardener and fruiterer, aged 50, and born Douglas; while the other William was a stone mason, aged 63. One was probably a brother (the elder of the two), the other a cousin.

Cheers,

Stephen

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 May 11 18:20 BST (UK) »
...He worked at a slave factory on the coast of Guinea (South America)
Guinea Coast is actually on the coast of WEST AFRICA - eg check via wikipedia etc
any thing with a Manx Connection