Author Topic: John Cowin (c1802-1869) & Margaret Clague (c1808-c1884)  (Read 13411 times)

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
Re: John Cowin (c1802-1869) & Margaret Clague (c1808-c1884)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 May 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
I checked my notes, and recalled that I found a William Cowin to match the one at 4 Great Nelson Street:  born 1799, parents Edward Cowin (probably the one born 1766) and Jane Taggart. This couple had a son John in 1802, who was the same age as the one that married Clague.

Wills mentioning this Edward are on the Manx Notebook site, but the coverage stops too early. It would have been more useful if they had covered wills from about 1741 to 1841, instead of 1700-1800, then we would not be left with 40-50 year gaps to fill before the 1841 Census.

Cheers,

Stephen

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 May 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
It would have been more useful if they had covered wills from about 1741 to 1841, instead of 1700-1800, then we would not be left with 40-50 year gaps to fill before the 1841 Census.
no doubt - however you can borrow the films from your local Mormon fam hist centre (for a fee) and do the transcription for any you need though, no doubt the Fam history soc would be grateful for any input - I (and I'm afraid I'm solely responsible for MNB) must apologise for being a little slow in that so far I've only summarised about 15,000 - however you will find that due to changes in the law of inheritance early in 19th C that the wills tend only to be useful to those leaving property.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Possum99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 May 11 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen and Frances

Thanks to you both for your help. I hope to get to FHC on Tuesday so will report back then.

Frances, to me at the end of the known world, the work that you and many others undertake is a magnificent gesture - keep up the good work!

Cheers, Ross
COWIN - Lonan, Isle of Man to Australia
HALL - Leek, Staffs and Cheshire to Austalia
LAMBERT - Cork, Ireland to Australia (Vic, SA and WA)
McGRATH - Nth Dublin Workhouse to South Australia
THOMAS - Arbroath, Scotland to Australia (SA and WA)
PALMER - Yorkshire to South Australia

Offline John Cowin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I am John Cowin and trace myself back to the  son John of John Cowin and Margaret Clague that lived in Great Nelson Street Douglas IoM was a ships captain and settled in Mauritius and established a lighterage company there.Part of family remained in Mauritius, children sent back to UK for /or to complete education in 1880's.I have family bibles with births and deaths etc and accurate family history down to present apart from John C's brother  William who went to Australia. I have not been able to go any further back than 1825 ish for John Cowin or Margaret Clague. Gt Nelson St no longer exists and is covered by a large bank part of Douglas financial area. Happy to share data and explore any Australian connection and early history of John Cowin and Margaret Clague

Offline Possum99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 January 13 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Good to hear from you. I still have no lead on who the parents of John (b1802) might be.

I have quite a bit of material on this family, a fair amount dealing with Mauritius, South Africa and South Australia. You may well be interested. If so, send me an email (artemisia@xxx.com.au - substitute grapevine for xxx) and I will return my file (.doc).

Cheers, Ross
COWIN - Lonan, Isle of Man to Australia
HALL - Leek, Staffs and Cheshire to Austalia
LAMBERT - Cork, Ireland to Australia (Vic, SA and WA)
McGRATH - Nth Dublin Workhouse to South Australia
THOMAS - Arbroath, Scotland to Australia (SA and WA)
PALMER - Yorkshire to South Australia

Offline Hindgill Farm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 April 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Ross,
                I have no idea if this information is significant for you, but as I am researching a Norris Clague Cowin (of Mitcham) who died during WW1, it may be.

Norris was born 1893 (http://www.ancientfaces.com/person/norris-clague-cowin/163859659), and the local school have included a Memorial Plaque in their Avenue. I can send you an email with a photo if it helps.

Rick Irving