Author Topic: St Swithin, Walcot  (Read 11134 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Swithin, Walcot
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 April 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo:  It seems that most of the pre1858 Somerset Wills were destroyed in the bombing of Exeter in WW2  ::)  And I've checked the name Archbell, with no match.  :'(

The main reason for my request is that Somerset Heritage Centre say that the Walcot parish registers have been indexed by name, and by date, so looking up the name Archbell would be a simple task for anyone visiting the Centre, and give a confirmation or denial of my assumptions.   I would otherwise not ask for such a wide timespan for James' burial.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello BumbleB,

I am sorry to hear about the destruction of the Wills in WW2. That may explain why I have been unable to trace ones for my ancestors, assuming they made them. I face the same trouble with records for some London parishes as they were destroyed in The Blitz.

I realise that you had hoped for a volunteer to do an RO look up. I am sorry that I cannot oblige as I live too far away from Taunton. Is there any chance the RO would do a quick look up for you? I know that some ROs will do these without charge if they take no more than 15-20 minutes.

Jo.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo:  Unfortunately Somerset Heritage want to charge me £30, which is why I put it on the website.  I mean if the records have been transcribed by surname it would only take a few minutes to confirm or deny.  I've just done a whole load of verifications and additions today at Lichfield for someone, from transcribed and indexed records, and I reckon I did the 33 entries in not more than an hour, and that included writing out details etc. In the 2 and a half  hours I was there, I verified 33 entries, two other marriages and some burials from fiche, looked at and read through a will and a marriage licence, and that included the time spent waiting for the will and licence to come up from the vaults.

BumbleB

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
It is a bit steep when as you say, it would only take a few minutes since the burials have been indexed.

I know that Cheshire Record Office would do look ups for up to 20 minutes without charge. This seems reasonable and a good service. No doubt as councils seek to maximise income, they will see family history research as something to be exploited, generating a good level of funds.

Jo.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB

I go to Taunton occasionally - my next visit may not be until the summer, but if you've no luck before then I will certainly look up the details you want

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

Jo:  I know that Cheshire RO are good, they did a couple of searches for me for nothing, and I think even threw in the photocopies - but then I can say nothing wrong about Cheshire as I was born there  ;D ;D  And as it was in Hoole, then I can truly claim to be a hooligan  ::)
Sue
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 April 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,

I lived around Chester for many years, so we must have been there at the same time I should think. I miss it very much and expect to return before too long. Another good thing is it is much closer to North Wales than where I am at present.  :)

I saw a lovely old book on Chester in a secondhand bookshop in a nearby town, I am going to treat myself to it on Saturday.  :D

Jo.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 June 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I checked at Taunton yesterday, but it seems that only the baptisms are indexed. I did try & check throught the fiches of the burials (I managed c1825-31), but it was very time-consuming (because of the number of entries  - the register itself is beautifully written up) so I couldn't manage any more,

Sorry

Steve

Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, sorry for the long delay in responding - I've only just got back from holiday, having been away since the end of May.  Thank you so much for your efforts in Taunton, and sorry that you did not get a result for me  :'(

Again many thanks.

Sue
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY