Author Topic: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London  (Read 33854 times)

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 07 March 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I just recently found the year of death for my ancestor RICHARD GARRETT. He was born 29 October 1834 to John Wells Garrett and Caroline Matilda Pask. He married Elizabeth Maher of Southwark on 30 October 1864 in Lambeth. The year of death is given as 1903....nothing exact. Was wondering if I can find more and perhaps the place of burial.

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 13 August 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, Been a long time. Have joined Ancestry and probably have got more confused about the Francis Luke Garrett ancestors.
Many family trees have a connection through a Francis Garratt or Garrett and a Mary Mason I believe this to be totally wrong as has already been pointed out on this RootsChat.Its impossible to be living in the slums of London whilst a supposed brother John Garratt is The Lord Mayor of London.
So lets put that connection to bed.
The other concern I have is regarding the birth date of Francis Luke Garrett, his marriage to Elizabeth Wells and the subsequent children can be confirmed by the records.
Francis and Elizabeth's first child John Wells was born on the 23.2.1802 which was only six months after they married nothing unusual in that, but Francis would have been only 17 nearly 18 when they married. Would he have been allowed to marry at that age if the birth date of 1783 was correct. I noticed that on one family tree they had a guesstimate of 1775 as a birth date which seems more logical.A researcher did some work for me many years ago and could not identify with certainty the parents of John Wells Garrett.I know this does not help, but prefer to have certainty. Cheers Dave

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 13 August 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's me again. I have looked through various records and found a death record for a Francis Garrett on the 26th February 1843 at Christ Church Southwark it must be our Francis Luke Garrett as same dates. It gives his age as 68, thus birth around 1775. Found a Francis Garrett born on the 8th March 1776 at Maddington, Wiltshire. There are no other records for a Francis or Francis Luke around this time.Its not certain that I have the correct person, but it's a possibility. I am visiting England next week if I get a chance will try and delve further. Cheers Dave

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 13 August 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
I have read with interest all of these messages and I don't think anyone had given the full details of the following, unless I have missed it?

St Mary's Church Lambeth

Richard Garrett full age of Webber St occ Porter father John Wells Garrett Shoe Maker
to
Elizabeth Maher full age of Webber St father Robert Maher Chair Maker
witnesses W Garrett and Jane Wilkes

all signed their names

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 13 August 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, Again and Again. You can tell I am on holiday!!
In the birth record of Francis Garrett in 1776 in Maddington it states that father was Francis and mother was ELizabeth. There is a marriage record for a Francis Garrett and a ELizabeth Moore on the 23rd July 1772 in Shrewton and residence as Maddington.This appears to fit, also a record in 1781 of a Francis Garrett Wheelright of Maddington having an apprentice. All of foregoing cannot be proved they are Francis Luke Garrett,s parents, but believe its the best lead we have, as the dates etc are logical. Also middle names are often omitted. As previously mentioned a researcher did comment  that there was a possible Wiltshire connection. Frankly I ignored this as the family believed it came from Suffolk and was linked to the Garretts of Leiston, another family myth bites the dust!! When I get back home to New Zealand will check out the researchers emails etc, might find more info.Cheers Dave

Offline archsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just stumbled across this from a google search.
reading the posts it would seem I am the Great,Great,Great,Great Grandson of Richards father (John Wells Garrett b1804)
CottyD are you there? in one of your posts you mention my Great Grandfather John who was a stoker in the Royal Navy. Do you know why he was medically discharged?
And did you know his children and maybe his grandchildren (ie my mum Jacqueline) ?

Please reply
Stephen

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested, too. Important to get records correct. Richard Garrett was my great-great grandfather. 2 of his sons (Francis and James Garrett) ended up in San Francisco around the time of the big earthquake. One of them married a girl from Mexico, thus we have a branch of Garretts in Mexico.
My branch of the Garretts were mostly in New Jersey, USA. My great grandfather, was George James Garrett (1867-1948)

Offline archsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you managed to trace further back from Richards Father (John Wells-Garrett b.1804)?
I think he married Caroline Matilda Pask, was a shoe maker and had a number of children (Francis, Caroline, Richard, William, Elizabeth, James, Thomas, Susan and John).
His Son John being the eldest and apparently its a 'Garrett' thing that the eldest son is named after his father. Which has held true all through our branch.

I must confess I am not a Garrett by name, but my mother was, and tells me I'm the image of Garret Generation.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
My mother was Lowell Mae Garrett (1927-2003) born in Alabama and dying in Somers Point, New Jersey. Francis Luke Garrett is my 4th great grandfather …. My grandparents had 32 grandchildren in all....many as Garretts.

Francis Luke Garrett ….John Wells Garrett 1802-1864....Richard Garrett 1834-1903....George James Garrett 1867-1948....Alfred Garrett 1892-1985.....Lowell Mae Garrett 1927-2004.....me