Author Topic: Alice MUERS 1814 transported Where did she go what happened to her?  (Read 8408 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Alice MUERS 1814 transported Where did she go what happened to her?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 April 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
Extended subscription on a commercial website,  sighted the registrar for both lasses ....  One sent via Surrey arriving Jan 1814 was sentenced Aug 1813 to seven years (no mention of a death sentence), other was sent via   Broxbornebury later that same year, .... trial shows death sentence, but that must have been remitted to transportation.

Cannot find either lass mentioned in the 1788-1825 Col Sec's records, but IF these are two different lasses in Sydney by Dec 1814, with that unusual spelling of the surname and with the same first name .... then there's likely to be much confusion ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 April 11 08:37 BST (UK) »
Alice via the SURREY, tried at Newcastle etc... 

trial 19 August 1813  also same date same place trial for a Margaret Gordon .... 7 years.

perhaps the Surrey departed UK Jan 1814, but that is MY view, the index online does NOT specify it it is departure  date or arrival into Sydney.

Perhaps same lass, boarded firstly Surrey (perhaps a hulk) then transferred to Broxbornebury BUT the image I am currently looking at does NOT mention death sentence, nor Broxbornebury .... at all ... thus I am suggesting the possibility of two lasses with that very unusual spelling of her surname, or at least suggesting caution ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 April 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Agh ....

Surry/Surrey and Broxbornebury arrived Sydney one day apart as per Wiki  (arriving 27 and 28 July 1814)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surry_(ship)

Surry/Surrey carried male convicts, and Broxbornebury the females...  came via Rio, under orders issued by Plymouth Courts in Feb 1814. 

For Alice Muers to have been transported after receiving a death sentence, she would have needed to have received a form of pardon from the King.... this would in turn  .... usually result in a life sentence, which could have then been remitted to 14 years, and then remitted down again to 7 years.  There should be records of those transactions.   I have similar story .... trial 1815 in Scotland, sentence of death with jury asking for mercy,  pardon issued by George III's signature when at Bath, paperwork arrived back in Scotland day before sentence due to be carried out after having been transmitted back to the Prince Regent for his signature also.

Convict (a female) agreed to transportation for life.  By July 1815 that had been remitted to 14 years, and when embarking at Deal (thinking about the methods of transport to get her there from Edinburgh), it was noted on her papers that the 14 years had been remitted further to seven years.    That forebear arrived Sydney early 1817, and then married, had several children and was dead by Sept 1825....  It was a very hard/difficult life for females in those days.  Without oral history and private family papers it would still be unlikely that I would have found the link between that convict and my own tree, despite online convict records even today.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 April 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
JM if you go back a few pages to image 67 the lead page is headed "Broxbournebury 122 females" - all the name entries for this ship are indexed as arriving on the Surrey.  Sometimes Ancestry makes me want to wash my eyes out with soap!!  8)

Debra  :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 April 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
So we can assume ??? that there is only one Alice MUERS tried in Northumberland in August 1813 and transported to Australia (per Broxbournebury)?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 April 11 01:59 BST (UK) »
Yes,  one Alice Muers...

Don't go washing your eyes out with soap,  should be ME doing that....  I usually check, but am having ISP issues so using a wifi connection instead, and it is clunky .... 

I apologise for the obvious diversion that I have caused.

JM

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 April 11 04:06 BST (UK) »
Well, from what Dundee says, it's A**/z!y that's caused the diversion, really!

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D 

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline RIS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 July 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Alice married Matthew Miller or Mathias Muller had two children and died.  I am a decendant.

Matthew remarried to a person, not of sober habits, strangled her and was again sentanced to death.  His sentance was commuted to life enprisonment and was sent to either Tasmania or Norfolk Is (Have not been able to find out.  Search on Regina V Miller of about 1828 in www.austlii.edu.au for the court case.

E Hooks book is fascinating in that Alice and her fellow prisoners were sent to NSW on a boat which as captured.  They were abandoned at Cape Verde then rescued taken back to England only to be sent to NSW again in the Broxbournebury.

Not a fortnate lady

Offline GMM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am also a descendant of Alice, via her son Joseph Miller. I would love hear from you.

Regards,

Gayle