Author Topic: MICHAEL family Swansea - Jewish BDM records 1740-1880  (Read 15913 times)

Offline george12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MICHAEL family Swansea - Jewish BDM records 1740-1880
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 February 12 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Mike,
I realise the last message was too broad and open-ended, so I hope you don't mind a few short specific questions.
You probably don't want a drawn out correspondence which I completely understand, particularly considering typing and computers do not come naturally to me.

1. Do you know where the Michaels and the Harts lived in Germany and when they left?
2. Who was the original David Michael's wife - Rachel nee? and did they have more than 3 children?
3. What children do you have for his son Levi Michael and Rosetta Hart and who were this Rosetta(Rosy)'s parents?
Any BDM dates, locations and occupations would be appreciated.

Hope this is not a nuisance - we would be very grateful for clarification of this part of our direct lineage.

Regards ... Jim
Belfast :  Steen, Glendinning, Marshall
Swansea : Michael, Collier, Jones
Somerset :  Tombs, Vowles, Burt
Cornwall :  Ebbott, Bone, Batten, Temby, Perry, Harris, Tregaskis, Hart
Cambridge :  Beckett, Brooks, Cole, Peace
London : Walduck, Bartholomew, Bumstead, Masterman, Elks, Camfield, Linthwaite
Peebleshire : Sanderson, Forrest, Noble, Muir, Wilson
Devon :  Glanville

Offline Speshycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 March 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am descended from a Michael family from the Mumbles/Swansea. I don't know if we are entirely seperate from this line or if we have links but would love to see if we can find out.  Any help would be appreciated. My line is via a George Michael born Oystermouth/Mumbles in 1854, died 1903 in the Mumbles Lifeboat disaster. I have his parents as Thomas Michael born approx 1810 and Margaret Brown. I believe Thomas' father was a John Michael born approx 1791 ish and John's father  I believe to be William Michael born approx 1760..although I have very little data to 100% confirm John and William as Thomas Michael's father and grandfather so this may not be accurate.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. The Michael family was very established in the Mumbles along with several other big Mumbles surnames such as Gammon and Ace. Several history books refer to the Michael's arriving in the area by 1800 and imply they came form somewhere else but as to where I do not know and I would be intrigued to see if we have a connection to the Jewish Michael's of Swansea.

Many Thanks

Angiy Michael

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 March 12 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angiy  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Once you have made 3 postings on here, you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, such as email addresses and family names, with other Rootschatters.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline Speshycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 March 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi ! Thank you ! :)

Offline george12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 March 12 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angiy,
I had noticed another Michael family around Oystermouth and thought they were probably from a more local Welsh family. If you think they arrived in the area about 1800, maybe this is another branch ??
Assume you have access to census records - anyhow I looked at returns for 1841,1851,1861 and 1871 and noticed the 1841 census listed Thomas Michael Junior, a Fisherman at Mumbles Village with wife Margaret(nee Brown married SepQ1837 in Swansea) and children Charles born 1838 and Elizabeth born late 1840. Later censuses list other children as Sarah J born 1845, Thomas born 1849, Margaret A born 1852 and George born 1854.  Thomas later married Susan Lewis nee Hill in 1862 in Swansea - she was born in South Molton, Devon abt 1827, her father was Richard Hill born 1796 at Johnstone, Devon. She had at least two Lewis sons Thomas b1852 and Richard b1856 then a daughter Susanna b1868 with Thomas Michael.

From this it seems the father of Thomas Michael jnr born c1810-15 in Mumbles/Oystermouth was Thomas Michael snr, perhaps a cousin of John Michael and David Michael sons of William Michael and Ann Jone - refer to IGI Ancestral file. Unsure of connections here as there are Michaels variously dispersed throughout Wales. Then there are the Welsh patronymics  .... 

Hope this helps a little,
Regards ... Jim

Belfast :  Steen, Glendinning, Marshall
Swansea : Michael, Collier, Jones
Somerset :  Tombs, Vowles, Burt
Cornwall :  Ebbott, Bone, Batten, Temby, Perry, Harris, Tregaskis, Hart
Cambridge :  Beckett, Brooks, Cole, Peace
London : Walduck, Bartholomew, Bumstead, Masterman, Elks, Camfield, Linthwaite
Peebleshire : Sanderson, Forrest, Noble, Muir, Wilson
Devon :  Glanville

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 July 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know this is a few months on since the thread was active  but there's a new member who you might be able to help. Here's the link:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,604865.0.html

Thanks
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 July 12 07:39 BST (UK) »
Stephanie,

Interested to see the posts from you and from Jim.  There is lots more as you can imagine.  The Harts from Cornwall and the Michaels from Swansea became very closely linked in the late 1700's and 1800's as I guess you already know.  If Reginald Warburton Michael was your grandfather, then you and I should be 4th cousins as my g-g-grandfather was David Hart, brother of Rose Hart who married Jacob Michael.

To be honest, I haven't put the tree on ancestry.com and I think its much more complete and accurate  than some of those already there - but these things always get amended over time.  Its too easy to jump to wrong conclusions (especially over dates of birth taken from census information)

Sometime soon - probably over Christmas - I'll send some further info which might be if interest.

Mike
Norrish, Carey,Michael, Hutton
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 July 12 07:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Mike,

I was so disappointed not to hear from you as your news was so intriguing.   You mentioned getting in touch again sometime in the New Year, but sadly heard no more.   I hope you have not been ill?

Jim Walduck, who is doing so much research on the family, I know would also love to hear from you.

Here's hoping .........

Best wishes,
Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 January 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Stephanie,

Interested to see the posts from you and from Jim.  There is lots more as you can imagine.  The Harts from Cornwall and the Michaels from Swansea became very closely linked in the late 1700's and 1800's as I guess you already know.  If Reginald Warburton Michael was your grandfather, then you and I should be 4th cousins as my g-g-grandfather was David Hart, brother of Rose Hart who married Jacob Michael.

To be honest, I haven't put the tree on ancestry.com and I think its much more complete and accurate  than some of those already there - but these things always get amended over time.  Its too easy to jump to wrong conclusions (especially over dates of birth taken from census information)

Sometime soon - probably over Christmas - I'll send some further info which might be if interest.

Mike
Guernsey, Swansea