Author Topic: Boyd Birth/Marriage conundrum  (Read 13532 times)

Offline Stanthunder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd Birth/Marriage conundrum
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 January 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Robert Boyd & Jean McLaren of Mid Forrest Farm had a son Robert who supposingly left for America and on his return found that is father had remarried to Mary Taylor and in disgust moved to Australia, where he married Mary Ann Kennon.
I have a hand written letter from James Boyd Ferguslie Farm Paisley cousin of Robert who he describes Roberts sister living in Glasgow under poor circumstances and John who is Robert’s brother was not known of his whereabouts. Agnes Boyd daughter of John & Jean (Waddell) had a son called Malcom that moved to Australia at the same time as Robert. I have more information available if interested.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am interested. If Jean Waddell is one of the Magiscroft family then all these Boyds are related to me. I will send you a PM.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a hand written letter from James Boyd Ferguslie Farm Paisley cousin of Robert who he describes Roberts sister living in Glasgow under poor circumstances and John who is Robert’s brother was not known of his whereabouts.
John Boyd (1818-1872), son of Robert Boyd (1799-1881) and Jean MacLaren, married Margaret Aitken in 1843 and they both died in Airdrie. They had three known children.

I surmised that the youngest brother, Daniel Boyd (b 1824) must have died in childhood, as he does not seem to be in any census and the absence of any mention of him in the letter you have from James Boyd in Ferguslie to Robert Boyd in Australia seems to support this.

In which part of Australia did Robert Boyd (b 1821) and Malcolm Brown (b 1829) live?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 January 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a Headstone in Kirkhill Churchyard for James Boyd b. 1800 and goes on to mention his deceased wife Christina Hay. 
Which Kirkhill is this? There are several places named Kirkhill.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 January 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
His wife, Christina, was born on 12th October 1806 to William Hay(~1760) and Christina Seaton(~1765).
I see that Christian, daughter of William Hay and Christian Seaton, was baptised in Barony, Lanarkshire.

What is your evidence for this Christian Hay being the wife of James Boyd (1802-1878)? Their marriage just says that they were both in Cumbernauld, and the 1841 census says that Christian Hay or Boyd was born in Dunbartonshire.

Also they had no son named William, and it was their fourth daughter who was named Christian. They named their first son John and second daughter Jean, which fits the traditional naming pattern. Their first daughter was named Janet and their second son James, suggesting that Christian's parents might have been James and Janet.

Their fourth son was named Joseph. I note with interest that James Hay and Janet Scott had a son named Joseph, born in Cumbernauld in 1799, and I speculate that Christian Hay, wife of James Boyd (1802-1878) was an unrecorded sister of this Joseph, and daughter of James Hay and Janet Scott.

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 January 18 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, re. Kirkhill Churchyard it is in Cambuslang. I'll have to pull out my Boyd paperwork to check what information that I have.  Gray865

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Re the Boyd family at 1861.
The address at 1861 is not a mistrancription of Crookedshields, it's Letterick /Letterick Hill

These neighbouring farms were probably owned  and leased by The Duke of Hamilton.
They were sited  just inside the Cambuslang border at the 3 way point where Cambuslang merges with Blantyre and East Kilbride

My ancestors farmed at Crookedshields until the end of 1861
If the Boyds  moved into this farm, it will have been after 1863

James Boyd left a will which is found on SP.
It should indicate if he was a tenant farmer or owner.

Daughter Jane Boyd daughter of James Boyd and Christina Hay married another of my relatives in 1863.
She was still living at Letterick when she married.
Jane moved to Hamilton, where she died in 1924 aged 87yrs

Further newspaper reports for Crookedshields show that after the death of James Boyd, it was his daughter and son in law, William Craig who lived here.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Anne!

James Boyd and family were in Cumbernauld until at least the 1851 census, and in 1861 they were in Lettrickhill.

We have a copy of the will of James Boyd. It is very uninformative - he left a liferent to his wife, then to his brother Joseph, after whose death the estate was to be divided among Joseph's children, none of whom are named. Joseph's will is equally uninformative.

Thank you also for pointing me at Jane's and Mary's marriages and deaths. Only John, Bethea/Elizabeth, Agnes and Anne to find now.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 15 January 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Jane seems to have left a will too.

It's on my list of "To Do" things for my GRO visit next week.
It may provide info on the wherabouts of her sons

I found marriages and deaths for most of her children but, a couple of them vanished off the face of the earth at 1881 or 1891
At least 2 sons were lawyers.

I keep my family tree  info private but, if you wish to PM me, I can provide you with quite a bit of info relating to marriages etc for other children of  Jane and her husband John Henderson.
It will save you looking!