Author Topic: Boyd Birth/Marriage conundrum  (Read 13567 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd Birth/Marriage conundrum
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
An extracted entry means the information has been 'extracted' or taken from the original Parish Registers and copies of these pages are available from Scotland's People.

A submitted entry means that the information has been 'submitted' by a member of the LDS Church and added to their records - normally this means that there are no existing records which can substantiate the details - i.e. there are no Parish Records available.

Submitted entries ALWAYS have to be treated with caution although now and again, alternative verification can be found.

On the LDS site (the IGI), each entry has the information saying whether an individual entry has been 'extracted' or 'submitted'.

It's just one of the things to look out for when using the IGI, so don't worry - you'll be an 'old hand' in no time and!

Anne  :)

Offline hammyscotland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 June 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I don't know how late I am in posting this reply, I just found this using a google search.
I may be able to help you.

I am related through his eldest daughter, Janet, and have done a bit of research.  I am pretty sure (although not 100%) that he was born on 5th March 1802 to John Boyd and Jean Waddel.
His wife, Christina, was born on 12th October 1806 to William Hay(~1760) and Christina Seaton(~1765).

Hope this helps.

EDIT:  Also, Bikermikau, is there any chance you could post an image of the headstone, or even just a transcription if it's easily readable?

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
G'day, Welcome to the site.

I think it was Gray865 in Reply #6 who mentioned a Headstone.

MicK
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline hammyscotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
So it was.  My Bad :)

Offline Stanthunder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
i am a direct descendant of John Boyd & Jean Waddel

John Boyd & Jean Waddel

Robert Boyd & Jean McLaren

Robert Boyd & Mary-Anne Kennon

Stanley Boyd & Susan Jacob

John Boyd & Jean Waddel lived at West Forrest & Mid Forrest Farm Cumbernaud
Robert Boyd & Mary-Anne Kennon migrated to Australia
I have a letter from James Boyd (Robert Boyd's cousin) who lived at Fergislie Farm Paisley
Johns brother James Boyd who married Christiana Hay moved from Wester Forrest to Cumbusling

Any other information would be greatly appreciated

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kirkbairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 January 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
surely this topic should be in the Dunbartonshire section as that is where Cumbernauld was at that time
check link for the farm with R.Boyd in 1864

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/dunbartonshire-os-name-books-1860/dunbartonshire-volume-05/94

Offline Stanthunder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 January 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
In reply to the original thread on this page of Gray865.
The contents of my previous comment above is part of the one in the same family which I have a lot of information on.
What I am trying to find out is where John Boyd or married Jean Waddell originally came from as far as the conundrum is concerned I have the answers to this

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 January 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
i am a direct descendant of John Boyd & Jean Waddel
John Boyd & Jean Waddel lived at West Forrest & Mid Forrest Farm Cumbernaud
Johns brother James Boyd who married Christiana Hay moved from Wester Forrest to Cumbusling
James Boyd (1802-1878) who married Christian Hay was the son, not the brother, of John Boyd who married Jean Waddell.

The family at West Forest in 1841 and Wester Forrest in 1851 are that of James Boyd (1802-1878) and Christian Hay. Christian died after the birth of her daughter Anne in 1847 and before the 1851 census, in which James Boyd (1802-1878) was described as a widower. By 1861 James Boyd (1802-1878) and his daughters Jane, Christina, Agnes, Mary and Ann, and his nephew Robert Hay, were at Lettrickhill Farm, Cambuslang.

James Boyd (1830-1890), son of James Boyd (1802-1878) and Christian Hay, was at Ferguslie Farm, Paisley in 1881 and died there on 8 September 1890. He married Janet Dick but they had no family.

Joseph Boyd (1835-1912), son of James Boyd (1802-1878) and Christian Hay, married Janet Young and succeeded his father at Lettrickhill, where he had 9 of a family.

The Robert Boyd and Mary family at Mid Forest in 1841 is Robert Boyd (1799-1881), son of John Boyd and Jean Waddell, brother of James Boyd (1802-1878) and his second wife Mary Taylor, whom he married in 1828, Jean MacLaren having died. He stayed in Mid Forest for the rest of his life.

There was also a daughter Agnes Boyd (1805-1866) who married Malcolm Brown in 1827 and had 5 of a family. Also, allegedly, a daughter Jean Boyd, dates unknown, who married Thomas Shanks in 1813 and someone Struthers after Thomas' death, but she is proving difficult to pin down with certainty.

I think that Jean Waddell, wife of John Boyd, was a daughter of the Waddells of Magiscroft, but I have yet to find proof of this. If so, I have at least 4 generations of her Waddell forebears.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.