Author Topic: Wardley Street Wandsworth  (Read 66272 times)

Offline shasha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wardley Street Wandsworth
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 November 11 01:12 GMT (UK) »
my mum said her family live in Wardley Street she remembers there home was tin huts then my great grandfather (William Hughes was marred to Ellen smith) he was a door to door flower sellers. my grandfather(Owen Hughes) was a rag and bone men an he also work for the wands worth brewery my mum went to wandle primary school dont no how long my grandad live there my mum was there 1947/1954 also my mum said that her auntie lilly was attacked an murdered it was a big thing at the time my mum is try to help me with family tree

forgive me if im not doing this right an not making scene

Offline lyddengrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 April 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
hi i was born in lydden grove and i still live there
. my family have over a hundred years of history in that road and wardley street. my family names are smith, heath and penfold. i have extensive knowledge about the area, one of my grandfathers was a horse dealer, and owned property in the area. the pub in wardley street was called florries, when one of ,my grandmothers used to get a jug of beer!.  the yard with black steel gates now, were owned by the angelo family, who stabled horses in their yard. i did a small exhibition of wardley street in the wandsworth museum, and there are some pictures in the grosvenor pub of wardley street. please contact me if you need any help.

Offline r haworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 April 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Faith

I have a photo of Wardley Street my cousins lived in Wardley Street and Lydden Road.
my e-mail is  (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi thank you for replying to my note on Wardley Street. My Gt.Grandparent's James Long & Rose Long nee Wright lived at 73 Wardley street. My Gt.Grandfather James Long was originally married to Louisa Lamb, and they had 3 or 4 kids I think, one of them was another James, Rebecca & ?. James Long brought my Nan Edith up as his own as my Gt.Grandmother Rose was not married but he was not her Father. Their children were Edith (my Nan), Charles Long, who was born bred lived and died in Wandsworth, Austin Long he wente to live in Coventry, Violet Long & Rhoda Long. Violet Long married Harry Hall and lived with my Gt.Grandparent's and had a Son Colin. Rhoda married a Manning and had two Son's by him called Alan & Raymond Manning. I did hear from a lady called Joyce Heath, and she lived either next door to number 73 or just up the road and her Dad and Violet Long's Husband Harry Hall were Brothers. Raymond Manning went off with Joyce's Mother and lived in Suffolk. They are both dead now, but I am in contact with Joyce as we have been helping each other through Ancestry.co.uk. Rhoda remarried William Blackman and think had two Daughter's.
I know my Nan & Grandad George & Edith Boyd and my Dad George and his Sister Nita moved out of London when the war started to Berkhamstedand then came back till 1947 then moved to Norfolk where I live.
 Dad told me his Grandfather James Long had a horse and cart and he would skip school and go out with him fior the day and he always had a wad of money rolled up in the drawer and gave him £5 for his birthday. Dad was 15 when he was moved down to Norfolk and he hated it, so he joined the Navy two years later.
I have managed to find a photo of Wardley Street through the london metropolitan archives. It was taken in the late 1950's, if you are interested in it I will send it to you if you let me know your email address. I am still desperately trying to find a photo of my Gt.Gtandfather James Long, as it is my Dad's 80th in August anf I am trying to make a scrap book up for him, but no-one seems to have one of him.

I know my family especially my Nan and her Mum were always singing etc., and one day they brought the piano out of the pub into the street so everyone could enjoy it all. Dad said that most people would not walk down Wardley Street, but everyone who lived there knew each other and there was a real trust there between them all. Dad often went to the pub with his Grandfather and tehy had sawdust on the floor and a spitoon.
I would love to hear about your life and your family's life in Wardley Street etc., and any photos of your family if you are willing to share it would be fantastic.
My email address is *
Look forward to hearing from you.

Faith

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray -  I think we emailed each other a while back didn't we, and just got a message through Roots from you. I cannot remember your names of your family that lived in Wardley Street and wondered whether you would remind me of them. The picture of W.Street is probably the one I sent to you, not unless you have another one.

Look forward to hearing about the names etc.,

Faith

Offline r haworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Faith
Yes I remember your name the family at 93 Wardley street
The family  names was SMITH
Ray

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray - Thank you for the name. It was 73 Wardley Street my family lived of Long/Boyd/Hall.

Faith

Offline vickyhorner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for knowledge on my Grandfather,who was born in Lydden Grove in August 1918,He was one of quite a few kids and his name was Arthur James Price.His mother was called Bertha.
I know he had a horse and cart and he also liked a bet.
He married Rebecca Stewart and they had seven kids.He met Bec over Henry Prince Estate.If anyone has any information on him or any of his sibblins (old stories) Some of the sibblins were called Beckley and not Price. I would love to hear from you.
Vicky. ???

Offline lyddengrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 April 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray I think that I  am you,re cousin. Here are a few details about myself, my grandmother was Edith smith, she married John Mclean, and had a son called John I am his daughter. My grandmother was one of about 11 children who came from wardley street. their father's name was Benjamen, and their mothers name was Caroline. she had a sister called rachael, who married dick wymark, and they eventually lived on the Aboyne estate, along with other family members. the names of my grans siblings were, John, henry, dickie, owen,nancy, pashy ruben, rachael at the moment I cannot rember the others. I know my aunt Pashy moved to sandy with the rest of her family. Ans I think that you are her son, and you lived over southfields when you got married. I would be interested in seeing the photo's you have, and i have got some photo's of the family that you might be interested in, that is if we are related!! Stephanie.