Author Topic: Wardley Street Wandsworth  (Read 66267 times)

Offline r haworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wardley Street Wandsworth
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 April 12 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie
It was nice to hear from you. I am patience boy I only heard about your Dad
passing away 2 weeks ago.
I was very surprised Carol told me we have been in contact recently she has
been sending me pictures.
I put a family tree together if you would like this send me your e-mail address.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ray. 

Email address removed. If you wish to send personal details , such as email addresses or details of living persons , simply click on the small green scroll to the left of the post of the person you wish to contact.
New members must make at least 2 posts before they can use the Personal Message system

Offline shasha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 27 April 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi my grand perants Owen Hughes an Nella Hughes (Smith) lived at 43 Lyddon grove 1943/1948 then moved to 7 Tonsley st Bungalows 1949/1951 then 8 Lemuel st 1953/1960 im trying to find family Owen Hughes brothers/sis Johnny /Lilly/Alice/Albert/Sam also family in gravesend if enyone can help id be very greatful  :)
my grandfather was born in 60 wardley st his name was owen hughes his dad was william hughes an mum was hellen hughes (smith)his ant rachel baker married to william baker also lived in wardly st an his uncle owen hughes married lillie hughes  an uncle henry married to sophia carey  :)

Offline greenturner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 June 12 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Faith,

I have recently seen your request for information.
Before the houses in Wardley street were demolished  due to slum clearance, I lived at number 75 next door to your relatives.
At the side of our house was a passageway connecting Wardley street to Lydden road.
The Charringtons public house in Lydden road was called the Prince of Wales,directly opposite the passageway. The pub was managed by Florrie a great personality and  loved by her customers.

When entering Wardley street from Garrat lane, The Jolly Gardeners public house on the right and Gattos tool store on the left, the houses with odd numbers were on the left and even numbers on the right.The first  houses on the left were occupied by the Lea household, of Romany descent and very beautiful people with wonderful complexions. Also further down the street on the right there was a closed in area
containing six or more Romany caravans(The original type drawn by horses).
beautifully decorated inside and out and owned by the Wrigley household.
Noah being the elder.

Halfway down the street on the righthand side was Wardley mission Hall occupied and ran by committed born again Christians, latterly The London City Mission Society.
In the area they were highly respected for there concern and assistance  they were able to give the community. For an example each year they would take children on holiday from the area to the coast for two weeks at a small charge to the parents, and sometimes for no charge. The Hall was used regularly by the close nit community, children, young people and adults.

Further down the street on the lefthandside was  Toms yard, this closed in area spread from Wardley street across to its entrance in Lydden road.
Within the yard there were stables for the traders horses , storage for horsedrawn carts and storage for articles for trading ie: Logs, Cutlogs, Kindling(Shortcut sticks of wood for firelighting), Horse Manure, graded by the amount of straw mix and sold by the Bushel for customers garden compost. Storage for fresh greengrocery and flowers bought and transported by horse and cart from The original Covent Garden. The street traders would leave home at two or three in the morning to get to market and buy there stock then return home, clean and dress their horses and carts for selling the produce that day.
During the process of every day life Horses had to be cared for groomed,and stables cleaned out and fresh straw laid. Corn and horsefeed bought and  fresh water supplied. Carts had to be washed down, wheel unions greased,horse harness dubbinned and polished and horses hoofs blacked and horses curry combed for next day.
Further down on the righthandside of Wardley street opposite no 73,75, was another large yard owned by my relatives. This was also used for storing Vehicles for traders.

During a working week most people Flower sellers, Greengrocers, Totters,  were out on the road either collecting scrap metal and old clobber or clothes with the call (Rag-iron-bone), or selling produce greengrocery etc.
At the end of the day some people would congregate in Florrie's pub and men and women would spend their days profits. Most evenings ended with a noisy raucous session of rows, fights and colourful slang shortened terminology.

With the approaching weekend Gambling and betting took place in Lydden road.
Groups of men would gather ten or twenty to a group, three or four groups stretched out ten or fifteen yards apart. transactions took place on the spin of two or three coins
being thrown or tossed in the air and the resultant heads or tails the winners.
betting also was achieved by playing cards: Blackjack,Pontoon, Poker,Brag.
Also men and children would play pitch and toss winner getting nearer the edge of the pavement that anyone else.
The police would never enter wardley street or Lydden road for fear of their own safety.If at anytime they sent a squad of police ,the groups of men would vanish into the rear gardens of the houses in Wardley street that backed onto Lydden road.
The houses also had stables for horses.

Some of the families that lived in the street were:Lea, Wrigley,Penfold brown, Smith, Hughes, Brooks, mathews,Wymark, Chambers,Owen,Goldsmith,Gilbert, Hilden, Cox, Etc.

My grandfather was Edward Penfold he was a greengrocer with his ownhorse and cart.
My Grandmother was a flower seller in picadilly circus.as were others in the street.
MY mother was louise penfold, married my Father Gus Oakes.
I knew your gran Rose, also Harry, Voilet, Rhoda,Colin, Raymond, Allen.
The family named mason lived next to them,and then brooks to them.
next door to my family lived the Gilberts also greengrocers.
Your family moved with my parents and a few more to  Strathdon Drive Aboyne esate of Burntwood Lane Tooting london SW17.

Well I do hope this gives more information.

Best regards

Philip.

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 June 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness what a lovely amount of memories you have still remembered, and thank you so very much for all of that.

To have known my family is even better as there are not many, if any, even alive to remember now.

Dad will be 80 in August and I have been trying to get as much information and photos as I can to put into a book for him, and the one person I really, really wanted a photo of was his Grandfather James Long, as he says he can still remember him as if it were yeaterday with his bowler hat on.

His Grandmother Rose Long was very wild one day when his Grandfather brought the horse inside of the house, but Dad said he used to skip school and go out with him on the horse and cart. He remembers there being a yeard at the back somewhere where the horse was kept.

Dad also told me that the police would not walk down Wardley Street in fear of the people that lived there, and often the people would not want to go down the street to even collect the rent.

He said some of the houses had no glass in some of the windows, but I suspect that was because of the bombing.

Dad was born 15th August 1932 in York Road. I then found my Nan & Grandad Edith Long and George Boyd living in Garratt Lane for another 2 years, then I am not certain where they moved to although my Dad's Sister was born in Carshalton in 1936. Nan by this time she said had lost two babies, hence the four year gap.

When the war was starting Grandad George Boyd was not happy them keeping in Wandsworth, so they found a two bedroomed place in Berkhampstead next to his Sister and her family. Dad told me that his Wandsworth relatives came down to see them during the war but always stayed true to Wandsworth.

When my Nan & Grandad and Dad and his Sister came back to Wandsworth after the war, they had a house full.

His Auntie Violet and her Husband Harry Hall and their Son Colin, both my Gt.Grandparent's and my Grandparent's. I am not sure whether there were anymore people in the family.

I suppose as Dad said, when they came back, it was a disaster zone because of all the bombing, and my Nan & Grandad then decied to move to Norfolk in 1947, where I live.

Dad joined the Navy two years later as he said he hated Norfolk from being in Wandsworth, it must have been an awful big change for all of them.

I found a lady called Joyce Heath on Ancestry.co,.uk and her Father was Harry Hall's Brother and her Mother went off with Raymond Manning, Gt.Auntie Rhoda's Son. I since found out that Rhoda was married before, then she married William Blackman.

Joyce told me her Mother walked out and left her Dad and a large family. Both her Mother and Raymond are gone now and buried in Suffolk, where they went to live.

Someone told em that they pulled the piano out of the pub one day in the street so everyone could join in the fun, and as Dad said, "All the people in Wardley Street knew how to have a good time".

I met Auntie Violet and Rhoda a couple of times when I was little, as now and again our "London" relatives, as we called them, would come down for a weekend.

James Long died either in 1947 or 1949. I have his death certificate, so when they wanted to pull the houses down my Gt.Grandmother Rose went to live with Violet Harry & Colin on the estate you mentioned.

My Auntie Nita, Dad's Sister said her Grandmother always put the key on a piece of string inside the letter box and very rarely locked their doors anyway.

Can I ask you what age you are?

I managed to get a photo of Wardley Street from The London Metroplitan Archives and Dad remembered it instantly when I gave it to him, as you mentioned in detail of the passageway he remembers that also.

My Nan was always singing and dancing and am told that her Mother Rose was also the same.

I managed to trace a relative slightly younger than myself whose Dad is my Dad's Cousin, and her Grandfather was Charlie Long, as her  Father is also. She sent me some photos of them, and if you are interested, if you let me have your email address I will send them to you.

I also have a photo of Raymond Manning, Rose Long and her Son Charlie Long that Joyce found for me.

Sometimes family don't always have photos but often neighbours do, and this was the case with Joyce having this photo.

There was something that Dad remembers as a child, his Grandfather opened a drawer and it was stashed with a wad full of notes, more notes he said than he had seen in his yuoung life, so there must have been money in rag and bone, etc.,

One one of the Census returns it states that James was a Coster/Green Grocer, as was his Son.

I also have a photo someone sent me the other week of a family callled the "Platt's". I am sure it is their name, and the photo is taken outside Wardley Street and their Son, who is a baby on someone's lap married one of James Long's Daughter's.

Thank you so much for all the information, as I said if you let me have your email address I will send you some photos.

Thanks again.

Faith

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wardley Street Wandsworth/James Long
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 June 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying desperately to find a photo of my Great Grandfather, James Long. James lived in Wardley Street Wandsworth for many many years with his first Wife Lousia Lamb and his second Wife (my Gt.Grandmother) Rose Wright/Long. They lived at number 73, but before that according to Census returns James lived at two other addresses in Wardley Street.
I have managed to trace a photo of Rose Long, but still not James Long.
Is there anyone out there that might remember his name or know of him or his family. James died either in 1945 or 1947.

Sometimes I often find that friends or neighbours often might have one and not the direct family.

I have a photo of Wardley Street where they lived but would be the icing on the cake as I am trying to get photos to put in a scrap book for my Dad's 80th in August.

Many thanks in advance.

Faith

Offline r haworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 June 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Phillip
Thank you for what you wrote it brings back memories.
I am related to the Smith, Wymark, Mclean, and Kent.
In Wardley street and Lydden road.
There was a Henry Penfold in my class at school he would of been born about 1945 in wandsworth.
Is he any relation of yours.
Ray.

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 June 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
A lot of my ancestors, the Plant family, lived in Wardley St. over 100 years ago. I've researched them and am setting out a list of the addresses below. They were always moving from house to house !

House No.   Occupants   Period (Roughly)

6   George Plant                  1919
11   Elizabeth Rose Plant   1896
13   John & Mary Ann Plant   born here in 1898
14   Kathleen Daisy Plant    born here in 1898
26   Robert & Alice Vinney   1881
38   William John Plant                   1894
52   Rebecca Long/Gess                   1906
73   Rebecca Long/Gess                    1906
95   William Gess                    1906

Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 June 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for supplying all that. Rebecca Long was one of James Long's Daughter's. James Long was my Gt.Grandfaither who married his second Wife Rose Wright, my Gt.Grandmother.

Faith

Offline aligator1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 June 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any photos's of the "Long", family, my Gt.Grandfather James Long living at 73 Wardley Street. I have one of his second Wife Rose Wright, and some of their children but ot one of him.

Maybe a neighbour prehaps might have had one as is often the case.

Many thanks in advance.

Faith