Author Topic: Family in India John O'Brien b 4 Dec, baptised 11 Dec 1853, Kurachee, Bombay  (Read 7794 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear all,

I thinking that this christening may be of a relation of mine.  How can I find more out about this family, i.e. father's occupation, when the parents married, any siblings of John, why and how long the family where in India?

Your advice and help is much appreciated.

John O'Brien b 4 Dec, baptised 11 Dec 1853, Kurachee, Bombay, India
Parents ?Patrick and Catherine O'Brien

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family in India
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
I have found the following about the birth/baptism of your John O'Brien :

John O'BRIEN
Parents: Patrick, Pte., 64th; Catherine

As you can see the Father - Patrick - was a Private in the 64th Regiment (2nd Staffordshires).  Further research on this can be carried out at the India Office, Family History Research

RBcabal

Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Further to my last posting - there is a Private Patrick O'Brien of the 64th listed on the Indian Mutiny Nominal Rolls on the Asplin site
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you for this information.

I need to find out more.

Now, from John's marriage certificate in 1882, Patrick O'Brien is recorded as being deceased and a ships carpenter.  Does this occupation fit with the job described?

And mutiny?  Isn't that when you rebel in the army?

This is getting very interesting.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
The mutiny mentioned -

http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/1857-to-1858-106.php

Also worth checking -

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/resources/medalrolls/indianmutiny/

( There are 16 entries under the name of Patrick O'Brien - two of them in the 64th - all you have to do is decide which one is yours!!! :-\ )

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, so does this suggest that my ancestor was revolting or helping stop the revolt?

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:28 BST (UK) »

If he was in the army he would have been fighting to quell the revolt.

In the list in the link I've given, one of the Patricks died in 1858, the other in 1859. How does this fit with the history you have?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
The history as I know it (or discovered it).

1911 Census, my ancestor John O'Brien states born Kurrachee, India mid 1850s in the Bombay Presidency.  He says the same in 1901 and 1891 (minus Bombday Presidency).  I can't find him in 1881/1871/1861.

He worked as a ships carpenter, and married in 1882; there his father is recorded as Patrick O'Brien, deceased a ships carpenter.  So not sure if this does fit?

What do you think?  My knowledge of the military and navy is limited so not sure if I am going on the right tracks.  Patrick's grandson was a ships carpenter in the merchant navy for many years and travelled all over the world.

What do you think ... connection?

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:48 BST (UK) »

I can't really see how a ship's carpenter would end up fighting in the Indian Mutiny in the 64th Reg of Foot. However, stranger things have happened.

The birth of John, born Kurrachee, (now Karachi, Pakistan) does fit with the ship's carpenter side of things. Karachi was/is a major port in what was India, but is now Pakistan.

Unfortunately (for you!), Patrick O'Brien does seem to be a very common name, as you can see just from the medals list at the link on my previous post. I think you'd have to do some more research before you can assume that Patrick joined the army in India or elsewhere. The fact that his son and grandson carried on the trade suggests to me that Patrick carried on with his trade. The big question is "what happened to him between the birth of John and before John's marriage?"

I'd suggest an intensive search, possibly worldwide (!) for any death record for Patrick. As a ship's carpenter he would have gone wherever the ship went.

Tony