Author Topic: Easter 1916  (Read 4517 times)

Offline kippers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Easter 1916
« on: Monday 25 April 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out if a relative of mine was a member of the Irish Volunteeres involved in the Easter Rising of 1916 . My grandfather's brother was Andrew McDonnell who lived in Fitzwilliam Lane close to where the 3rd Battallion ( De Valera ) was based ( Northumberland Road / Lower Mount Street ). In Charles Townshend's book Easter 1916 there is a mention of Andrew McDonnell on page 258  referring to E Company 3rd Battalion

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Easter 1916
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
The list of participants in the 1916 Rising on the irishmedals.org website has an Andrew McDonnell in the Boland's Mill garrison.

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Kippers

here is a link to the sinn Fein Rebellion handbook easter rising 1916.
On page 88 there is M'Donell Andrew, Dublin  listed as a prisoner released

http://www.archive.org/details/sinnfeinrebellio00dubl

Regards
Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
Dwyer - Carlow and Wicklow
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Noctor/Naughter - Wexford tarahill
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Wafer - Wexford and Dublin
Whelan - Carlow

Offline dublinbook1916

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out if a relative of mine was a member of the Irish Volunteeres involved in the Easter Rising of 1916 . My grandfather's brother was Andrew McDonnell who lived in Fitzwilliam Lane close to where the 3rd Battallion ( De Valera ) was based ( Northumberland Road / Lower Mount Street ). In Charles Townshend's book Easter 1916 there is a mention of Andrew McDonnell on page 258  referring to E Company 3rd Battalion

Kippers

I have Andrew McDonnell listed in the 3rd Bn list on page 380 of Dublin in Rebellion

Andrew McDonnell; armed only with a pike, he was ordered to stop a tram outside
de Valera’s HQ.

Offline IrishMedals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 May 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
Andrew McDonnell is listed on my website, part of the Boland’s Mill Garrison. If he applied for a pension or medal you can contact the Irish Army Pensions office Veterans Section at Renmore Galway for a copy of his pension application, this will give details of the actions he took part in and any pension or medal he received.

http://irishmedals.org/gpage.html

Offline Johanna57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
is Andrew a brother of Thomas Mc Donnell and Peter Mc Donnell?

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 July 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick look based on using Andrew McDonnell as the search term, could these be them in the 1911 Census?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000215084/

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell

Offline Johanna57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
 :) Yes thats them but I am looking for Thomas Mc Donnell Jnr who I believe was a son of Thomas Mc Donnell listed here, he was my Grandfather, we knew Peter and always thought of him as my Grandfathers brother, unfortunately I cant find him in the 1911 census he was born in 1899. He was married in St Andrews Church in 1918 to Johanna Meehan who was also from Fitzwilliam Lane. My Grandparents lived ther till 1932 when they moved to Crumlin , as did Peter Mc Donnell and his family.

Offline ocleirigh79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kippers,

I am also a descendant of the McDonnells of Fitzwilliam Lane.  My grandmother, Mary McDonnell was born there in 1922.  I haven't had a close look at this thread but I can confirm that our Andrew McDonnell is not the same Andrew McDonnell mentioned in The Military Archives as far as I can make out.  However, our Andrew McDonnell was one of the civilians killed in 1916.  He was shot in the heart near Clanwilliam House.  As you know from reading Townshend's book this was a big flashpoint during The Rising. Having read the same book, I remember thinking to myself that The McDonnells must surely have been checking out the surrounding commotion.  There is a further twist however.  Prior to this he had fought FOR Britain in WW1 and had even received a victory medal!  His name is now on a plaque in Glasnevin Cemetery by the way.  If you pass on your email I can send you on his records.

Best wishes,

Ian.