Author Topic: St Vincent, West Indies  (Read 17627 times)

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Vincent, West Indies
« on: Tuesday 26 April 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone know of any on-line resources for researching BMDs  for Scottish families living in St Vincent in 19C?   Familysearch does not seem to cover this particular region and googling has not come up with anything.

Offline Velveteen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Vincent, West Indies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
what families are you researching? A lot of my research is based on Saint Vincent, and I'm sort of doing a project on the inter-relations of the colonial families of St Vincent, so I might have something in my own records.

Resources I've found to help have been British Census' IF they went back and forth a lot -mine did.

Another is http://svgancestry.com/ which has a small amount of BMD's and other information, including some photographs of memorials in St George's Anglian Church in Kingstown. Another off-beat one I've found to be helpful is documents online.

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 11 08:21 BST (UK) »
The two surnames are McKinzie or McKenzie and Sprott or Sproat who originated in Wigtownshire.

Mary McKinzie was born St Vincent 1834/5, parents James McKinzie & Mary McCrea.

I have several Sprotts in my tree and some names come up in the Censuses as being born in St Vincent who could be related to mine but I have been unable to make the connection. 

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will check them out.

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Please forgive me for butting in here but I don't think I have posted enough queries yet to permit a personal message.   This query is for Velveteen re St Vincent.

I have a longstanding problem backtracking from my ggg grandfather who - according to the census returns - was born in Tortola, BVI about 1800.   His name was Mark John Dyer.   According to the LDS records, a Mark Dyer was baptised on St Vincent in 1804.   The father is recorded as Samuel Dyer and the mother as Celia Albert.   Family legend has it that my Mark Dyer was of mixed blood so it is possible that he was born on one island and baptised elsewhere.   I have traced this couple to Chateaubellair (through the slaves registers on Ancestry).   Have you come across them in your research, Velveteen?

Thanks

Offline hoolianama0508

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
 According to the LDS records, a Mark Dyer was baptised on St Vincent in 1804. 

I saw that there was another Dyer family in Trinidad and Tobago. Perhaps Mark Dyer found opportunity on another close proximity island.  Just a guess.
Agard, Cook, Earwaker, Garbitt, Gascoine, Greaves, Griffith, Stephenson,

Offline Velveteen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 June 11 03:51 BST (UK) »
Please forgive me for butting in here but I don't think I have posted enough queries yet to permit a personal message.   This query is for Velveteen re St Vincent.

I have a longstanding problem backtracking from my ggg grandfather who - according to the census returns - was born in Tortola, BVI about 1800.   His name was Mark John Dyer.   According to the LDS records, a Mark Dyer was baptised on St Vincent in 1804.   The father is recorded as Samuel Dyer and the mother as Celia Albert.   Family legend has it that my Mark Dyer was of mixed blood so it is possible that he was born on one island and baptised elsewhere.   I have traced this couple to Chateaubellair (through the slaves registers on Ancestry).   Have you come across them in your research, Velveteen?

Thanks

I know I've seen Dyer mentioned in my searches, but not connected to my family, so I haven't taken that much notice, sorry.

Linda V -Sprott doesn't ring any bells at all, sorry.

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks anyway 8)

Offline shaz78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there my name is sharon and i am looking for my family name sprott too i have got as far as my gg grandfather my mum and i would like to do a family tree but we have a problem that alot of family members have passed and we cant get any information so we are trying any sites that might be able to help. i seen u was looking for the name sprott maybe we can help each other.  thanx shaz

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
How nice to see your post - didn`t think there were going to be any more for this surname!   Can you give me names and dates please? The Sprotts in my tree were born Wigtownshire, West Lothian, Glasgow & Cheshire.